VEPR

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by sewerman, Aug 7, 2007.

1. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

hey my fellow steyroids,

does anyone have experience or infomation on this AK clone?

it's built on an RPK receiver, which is 1.5mm .

plus comes with several barrel lengths and stock configurations.

the VEPR is purported to be stronger and more accurate then a standard AK because of the RPK receiver.

i was figuring at $600+ change this might be the most cost effective route instead of
    purchasing an entry level AK, after market receiver, stock, tools...gotta always buy tools :lol: but still have a carbine length barrel. :(

thanks

=

2. some_finn

some_finn Guest

They have a good reputation, quality (and accuracy) should be more consistent than with cheap clones.
    Make sure there are no magazine compatability issues, IIRC at least some VEPRs use non-standard mags.
    No personal experience though.

3. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

i have heard that the VEPR requires a model specfic mag that cost's about $40.00.

most of the AK-47 folks that i spoke with felt that price was just outrageous yet some handgun mags cost that or more!

AK-47 world.com had some good things to say about the VEPR but most all felt the gun over priced and didn't like the mag specfic issue.

they do look good...nice wood on the stocks.

cheers

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have a Vepr in 223 and it is a Mercedes..... :wink: Very well made, and accurate. Mine was customized and doesn't even look like a normal AK. The mags I bought are the standard 5.45 x 39 mags for $9 each. So far they seem to work fine. A little tight in the lock up but that can be filed slightly in the mag tab........I can't think of a negative thing except that it weighs more due to the beefed up reciever and that ain't bad.....Mags from Robinson Arms which used to supply them is still $25.00 each, but like I say I don't think you need to go that route....as least in the 5.56/223 format........

5. mister2

mister2 Guest

A little late....

Vepr K in 7.62 also takes standard AK-47 magazines. Don't know where the info about special mags came from, but what I do know is that standard mags work.

6. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I have heard Veprs as being one of the best clones but have no personal experience

As for the mag issue I think what that is, during the AWB era some clones came with single stack mags.

7. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

VEPRs are great, the mag issue is only with the 223 versions.
    Stick with 7.62 if you like to shoot a lot.

8. locar

locar Guest

I have a VEPR shoots great......doesnt look like a ak.....in 7.62 had to file down tab a little but other than that no problems :lol:

9. nixon

nixon Member

10. lobster

lobster New Member

From what I have read, the mag issue is with the vepr in 308. which can be modified to accept m-14 mags

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Now that's one of those " I wish I did " get that Vepr 308 when they were available and cheap........... :doh: and now its the Saiga 308.....

12. lobster

lobster New Member

I think you still can get the vepr 308 for a reasonable price. I think it would be a better choice than the saiga. However the saiga is still a good gun IMHO.

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

if you know any resources for the Vepr 308 let me kow........... :D

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...ditto....

:mrgreen:

15. lobster

lobster New Member

arms of America---1888 729 7815
    308 for 649$ w/ 20" barl
    7.62x39 16" barl 619.$

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Pardon my ignorance 'cause I don't know my VEPR from my RPK, but there's RPKs at J&G Sales for under $500.

Romanian RPK Heavy Barrel AES-B rifle, 7.62x39
    [​IMG]

Yugoslavian RPK Rifle M72 with heavy barrel, 7.62x39
    [​IMG]

17. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Nice prices Net. The Vepr's reciever is based on the RPK rifle. Reinforced, heavy firing system. But the Vepr is the Mercedes of foreign AK's. Now the Arsonal (spelling) is made here on CNC machining and supposedly very good. But I'll take my old fashioned Russian built Vepr........ :snooty: ..................wanna buy it.....? $1000.00.......... :lol:

18. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I have a "genuine all Bulgarian" Arsenal 7.62 with a milled receiver. Shoots 1.5 MOA with Lapua ammo and handloads using similar components. Seems to be an especially good one but even the average quality appears to be good with them, definately one of the better AKs. Dunno if the US made bits make a difference one way or the other.