USR

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by SteyrScoutSniper, Feb 20, 2007.

1. SteyrScoutSniper

SteyrScoutSniper Guest

well this is my first post since i am new to this forum and i would like to say it is a very imformative forum. my firstb question is a small one regarding a legal issue. if i were to take a USR and cut off that little part in between the pistol grip and the magazine to make it look like a real aug. would that be legal or not? because its not like that part does anything. and with the end of the assault weapons ban now u can have pistols grips and you dont need thumbholes. heres what i mean.

[​IMG]

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

its not just AWB but import bans. the import bans are still in place.

3. Greetings and Welcome.

The Import Restrictions, which are federal administrative laws that define "sporting purposes" in the 1968 GCA as set by the ATF prevent you from doing a conversion with the USR to say an AUG A2.

The reason is that when you convert a rifle like the USR to an AUG or say the HK SL8 to a G36 the end product rifle must contain a set number of domestic/made in the USA parts.

However, you're in luck.

Two US start-up gun companies are about to release US made domestic parts that can be used to convert a USR into an AUG A2 (an easy conversion with the right parts).

Microtech Small Arms Research (MSAR) at http://www.microtechknives.com should have parts available in late spring to early summer.

Another company TPD will announce sometime this year when they'll be able to sell AUG compatible parts.

4. sigurd

sigurd Guest

Here is a pic of my USR.

The barrel was reprofiled and threaded, then the JP compensator was permanently attached.

This is about all you can legally do with one.

I'm looking forward to having US parts available.

[​IMG]

5. Lolita

Lolita Guest

Well if HR 1022 somehow managed to made its way to us...Then...

http://www.govtrack.us/congres.....=h110-1022
    They marked AUG as assault weapon like others...even M1 Carbine(= = why would anyone do that)

6. ronin rider

ronin rider New Member

If you were to buy a Steyr A3 US made model and mix the parts with the USR.....would you have enough parts between the two rifles to be 922r compliant?

BTW what parts do ATF count on the AUG?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. hookbill

hookbill New Member

If you SBR it you can do what you like to it. I don't know if once you pay the tax stamp you are required to cut the barrel or not. It would make it harder to sell but would be a lot cheaper than buying all those US parts.

8. ronin rider

ronin rider New Member

No you can't. You are not 922r exempt when you go to SBR.

9. hookbill

hookbill New Member

What about those Norinco UZI's ? I was told once you reclassify the weapon as NFA 922r didn't apply.

O.K. I found the ,09 letter. I read it three times and still don't understand it. But that's the ATF for you. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011