USPSA classifiers looking better with Steyr MA1 in 9mm and .40

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Last 2 USPSA matches I've shot have produced A-class scores on the classifers. Looks like 77% and 80% based on estimates from the classifer calculator, and based on the calculator I had an 82% back in June that hasn't posted yet. Results should post in a week or so on the USPSA site when they update the numbers, but the short version is that I may make A-class running Steyr MA1 pistols, which is pretty cool.

In other news, I've been stinking up the field courses lately with mental errors, boo-boos, bad stage plans and generic fuq-ups. Ah well, I'm having a ball and can't wait for match day every week. Steel match this Saturday with M9A1, and I'm taking a new shooter who will shoot my spare M9A1.

Go Steyr!

2. blueorison

blueorison Member

A class...

awesome amount of respect... shooting a production pistol...

Keep beatin the 3-5k$ crowd!

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Way to go Ben! I'm crawling up behind with just B-level stages. I've got an all Classifier match next weekend in Brazoria County. Here's hoping.

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Go get 'em, Steve! When I first made B-class one guy said, "Welcome to the deep end of the pool. Now paddle baby!! Paddle paddle paddle."

5. blueorison

blueorison Member

Yeah uh....

can I borrow ya'lls oars?

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

7. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

I want to sooo bad too.
    Good luck Ben!

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Made B-class in Production, now at 67%. I need one more strong A-class score to kick out the 34% I shot for my first classifer 2.5 years ago, and should make A-class with the Steyr.

cool...

9. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Way to go Ben!

I'm rowing, I'm rowing....

10. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Awww, haven't made it. I'm now at 72.51%. Last match I shot a flipping 58%, so I'll be in near-A class for a while, I think.

Which is OK, too. I need to clean up my execution and mental game.

11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

You still out-class me.
    I got the mags back. Are you shooting with the BT mags?

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Good. Nope, we are discussing another possibility.

I am also waffling on a 5" M&P40 Pro. And also about just going SVI.

13. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

May I also humbly suggest you consider the CZ. Yesterday I got no fewer than 5 questions on what I was shooting. Typical comment, "CZ, I've heard they're good, you don't have any recoil at all in that .40."

The trick was to lower the spring rate (as recommended by Angus Hobdell) the recoil spring went from 18# to 15#, the main spring from 22# to 18#. With a softer recoil spring, the recoil torque doesn't start as soon, keeping the sight movement down. I'm considering a recoil absorber, but the whole gun is steel, although the grip is cast, and I'm not sure I need it.

If you don't intend to mount a tac light on it, and I didn't, then the 75B is fine. Your choice of 9mm or 40. There are a number fo guys shooting 9 major using the CZ SAO.

Hobdell's guys will to a trigger job to die for, for $160 including the SAO trigger. If you're going SVI, then seriously look at the value in the CZ family. The Czech Mate is on allocation, but what a deal if you make the list - $3495 with spares, and a C-More on top! The CZ SP-07 Duty gun would be cool in IDPA. Take a look at their custom guns - a number of them are legal in IDPA and USPSA/IPSC.

On the otherhand, if it's somewhat about shooting US made weapons, I understand that.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

One of my match shooting buddies is into CZs and is suggesting likewise. I definitely see the appeal of them. For me, it's about 50% that my hand doesn't love the CZ, and 25% - 75% (depending on mood) of it is "If Going to do it, Buy American".

I am aware of course where the Steyrs come from....I just love that grip angle and bore axis...

15. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Got it. If it don't fit, don't commit <- little play on words.

I've heard, although I've held them, I've never actually shot one, that the M&Ps are close to being like the Steyr.

If I had the money, before I got anything in the future, I'd probably head to the Scottsdale Gun Club, where they have a huge selection of weapons to try before buy. At one point, they actually had both 9mm and 40 Steyrs. They sell a hell of a lot of weapons, also Class III. I suspect because you can actually shoot what you're going to buy. You can set up the shipment to your FFL right there.

That having been said, I'd still probably have purchased the Steyr and the CZ in that order.

On a side note, yesterday I came in 8th out of 26 on our classifier stage Diamond Cutter. Still a long way from A Class, but moving up.

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Diamond Cutter was what I used in my match this month. I only shot 58%. Didn't push hard enough.

17. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I'm working on getting a cadence as opposed to DT. I figure that if I can get consistent in the cadence, then I can speed that up. Kind of like a heart rate. The transitions between targets should be the same time as the time between shots, i.e. equal to the split. This was the first classifier where I thought I got the splits and transitions equal.

Still better than my 48.86% - on Sat, and 55.94% on Sunday. (Both on Diamond Cutter - what are the chances?)

Time on Sat - 8.78, Sun 8.19 - nice improvement, it helps to have seen it before.

18. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

My time was 4.55 sec, but IIRC I went for the "head box" on each target and ended up with a lot of B hits, which in Minor gets pretty expensive in points and I ended up with 28 out of 40. I should have aimed at the A zone and slowed down a bit.

19. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

That's what I mean about I need to speed up. I'm getting max or near max points on all the stages, but taking gas on the time. With the cadence thing starting to work, I think I can double my speed in the next six months. That will move me up near the top.

It's kind of like learning to play racquetball. At first you've got to learn hand/eye, then high/low, then backhand/forehand. Now you start competing and you get the yips at first. After a while you settle down and start working up the ladder. Instead of psyching out on competition, you thrive.

I'm just getting to the thrive part. It feels good to shoot for a change - can hardly wait for the beep.

I'm going to get a timer for practice. That should help my splits. The only problem is that all of the good outdoor ranges are at least 1:30 from where I live.