USPSA: 3rd in Production with M40A1

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

1st in Pro was a GM, 2nd an A-class (and the GM's dad!). I am currently unclassified in Production, this is my 2nd time shooting Production division.

I started off well, but my last stage (Stage 5) I had a malfunction when I let the slide hit a barricade while shooting weakhand. That just killed my time, then I added some misses to really screw it. I probably would have taken 2nd if I hadn't hosed up that stage. I think the classifier score will be high B-class, but it is 09-03 and is too new to be on the classiifer calculators.

Aside from the jam caused by letting the slide whack the barricade, I shot about 125 case-gauged rounds of .40 Lite reloads without a problem. Nice fellows at the match and had fun.

Go Steyr!

http://www.columbia-cascade.org/Matchresults/TriCounty/TCGCJun10.txt

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Way to go Ben! Shooting 19 rounders?

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

No sir, I shot 10 rders for Production. Having trouble with the 19 rders with major PF ammo.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

What kind of problems? If you have the mag retention cut too low, you may not get a feed or if it's too high, get interference with the slide, causing a problem with ejection or a double feed. I needed to work a little with the file to get mine right. I was really chicken and filed slowly to get it to work. I don't have access to anything which would add metal:joker:

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Probs are feed problems, never ejection/extraction problems. Either a low-jam where the tip of the next round appears to catch in the magazine or feed ramp, OR a nose-up feed jam. These do not seem to occur with minor PF ammo using the same bullets.

7. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

You have the +5 springs in right?

I haven't run anything but commercial production ammo through mine, so it may be the OAL on the cartridge. With the 155 gr Lawman, and American Eagle, and the old ejector, I've had the low-jam. When I was getting those, I relieved the retention notch just a smidgen, and they've gone away. I thought that the mag lips were just a little too low, and the case didn't stick up high enough in the open receiver. When the slide came forward, the ramp couldn't quite cam the nose into place. If it's almost there but slightly stuck, and then springs up, you could get the nose up jam.

I've never had a nose up feed jam.

Try putting more viscosity on your slide when you shoot major. It may work. I did it to keep from getting the case laying on top of the next round failure type. It seems to slow up the cycle time just enough.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I do have the extra power mag springs, have some from ISMI and from Wolff. We tried both a heavier recoil spring and a lighter recoil spring, and saw no change.

Did you ever chrono the 155 Lawman or the American Eagle from the Steyr? I'd be curious what the numbers were.

9. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Sorry, no chrono, specs say 1150 fps on one, and 1170 for the other. I know they're sharper than the WWB 180 and Wolf I've tried, but that's not saying much. I also shoot 165 +P, which is 1200+ and it's a little sharper than the 155s. But, no chrono info here. I'm trying to get a new gun, so I'm saving my $ for it. I sure would love to have a chrono though. Would also like to have a timer with par on it.

10. blueorison

blueorison Member

Samn Don!!! That's awesome match playage!!! Wish there were some vids :(

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

12. blueorison

blueorison Member

It says I need a pw :eek:

13. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Here. 1911 shooting Single Stack. Errors to watch: I start with 3 misses on steel. I am hesitant to break the first shot at paper array 1 and slow on the transition. I am not exploding out of position after the last shot. I have trigger freeze at paper array 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfHrmcVLDM

14. blueorison

blueorison Member

That was rather epic. One of the best single stack reloads I've witnessed, and very fast acquisition. I don't think you did anything wrong, honestly, but that's why I'm a newbie, and you're a pro.

My mentor just finished the single stack nat'ls last week. He placed top 10.