USP vs. ?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Feb 6, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

Ok, in my difficulties in finding a new M40-A1 (may still get a used one if I can locate one for a decent price in my area), I have decided to look at a different gun in .40 (or maybe even .45). I don't want a Springfield XD, and I don't really want a Glock.

My search has led me to the H&K USP. Who has experience with this gun, in either .40 or .45 caliber? I know H&K makes rock-solid guns, and they are used for LE and military (usually spec ops units). I love the looks of the gun, and I have handled a few of them at the shop. I love how they feel, but I've never fired one or had to clean it or whatever.

Any negatives/positives to having this gun over the M40-A1 (or any other poly-framed .40 or .45?)

2. WPM

WPM Guest

I currently have a M9-A1 that I'm selling, because of the reliability issues (FTEs). This is my opinion only, I would buy the HK, since it has an established reputation for being a good reliable pistol. Where as the Steyr's reputation is not the best. If only my M9-A1 was as reliable as my G19, believe me, I would not be selling it.

Who knows, If you purchase a Steyr, maybe you'll get lucky and get a good one, that's if you want to take the chance. At least you should take the time and do some research on this forum, to determine what kind of experiences people are having with their Steyrs (past and present). From there, you can make your own logical decision on which pistol you should purchase.

Good luck with your decision,

WPM
    P.S. Take a look at the Hk P2000 as well.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Man - you really need to take a trip down here to TX and I'll let you try both :).

I like my USP plenty, but I still prefer the Steyr. My USPc .45 only gave me trouble when the factory mag springs went about 2 months after I bought the pistol (FTF EVERY time only on last round of mag). I replaced them with Wolff springs and it has been completely solid. The USP trigger is absolutely atrocious (the SA/DA at least), but it can be carried C&L to make up for that. Both pistols fully loaded, the USPc is just slightly lighter than the M9A1. The proprietary rail setup really makes me mad on the USP - I have a CDNN adapter, and it completely sucks at holding a zero on my M6X (would be fine for just a tac light). It is still a great gun, but it seems Steyr has me heart.

Have you looked at the P2000 series? I'm not a fan of the SK's, but the fullsize seems like -the- ideal carry piece.

Oh ya - one thing the USP can do that the Steyr can't is this:

[​IMG]

It's a very well balanced gun.

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'm sitting here with my house gun....USP 45 full size....its a freakin tank..
    ........its my tool...I drop it, glue rubber grips on it and did a trigger job on it that really made it a tack driver....... I love a lot about the HK........BUT......
    .....for a carry gun, its fairly blocky....the HK2000 would be a better pick...
    Ive shot that one in 9mm and its slim and sleak.........I would consider that one in a 40......but I still rely on my Glocks outside my house.......Hopefully I can get my Steyr 357 up and running perfectly......its SWE-ET........ :lol:

5. The Stery shoots much, much better than the HK pistols, but if you've got your heart set on an HK go with the P2000.

The USP trigger sucks IMHO and the muzzle flip is kind of crazy compared to the Steyr.

See if you can find a range in your area that rents pistols and try the P2000 and the USP. I think you'll like the P2000 a bit more.

Have you considered a Walther? Walther P99s are some of most reliable and best ergo pistols out there. Also I would take a look at the S&W M&P series if you get a chance.

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

ERGO: The trigger job..... :lol: did I mention they are way over-priced :?:

7. smores

smores Guest

Carry isn't really a concern of mine, since I live in MD and must either own a business (don't own a business), or be employed with law enforcement or security (I work for a wireless carrier)... I just want a nice gun to take to the range and have for defense (as well as a nice piece in the collection.)

I have seen a few of the HK2000's, and I do like the ambidextrous controls. Very nice. I guess if I ever had to go John Woo style and dive into a room with both guns blazing I could put that one in my left.

So basically what I gather is the USP has a crappy trigger, but is otherwise a pretty good gun. Based on prices of ammo, I'll probably find a middle ground with the .40 cal USP. .45 would be nice, but I don't want to go broke at the range!

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

OK......now I know its not for carry......I agree with the Minister, the M&P would be an excellent choice...........and it will come out in 45cal if that matters to you......

9. smores

smores Guest

I have handled the P99 and like it a lot. I'd like one of the older ones with the "sharp" trigger guard and proprietary rail. Don't know why but I just like the look better.

Also, I despise the M&P. Just can't get into it. I'd much rather have a Steyr or H&K.

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

I've got a M357-A1, a M&P 9mm, and a HK USP EXPERT .45ACP. They're all great guns.

For the money it's almost impossible to beat an M&P or M-A1. I've never had any problem of any kind w/ my M&P. It'll just shoot forever and ever. Right after I bought my M&P 9mm, my brother bought one in 40S&W. I wish I'd of got my M&P in 40S&W, It's a treat to shoot.

My Steyr M357-A1 developed an extraction problem w/ certain types of ammo(mostly hot & dirty Remington 125 gr JHP) at about 700 rounds. I sent it in to SAI for an extractor fix, It came back running like a Grey Hound. I've tried to make it fail and it just aint happenin'. I couldn't be happier w/ my hand cannon if they paid me! :D

In my experience w/ HK USP, it's a fantastic piece. A little large for for CCW, but a great side-arm or house gun. The USP EXPERT just doesn't miss, period!!! :twisted:
    ________
    mugdava

11. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi CF,

First off I don't own an HK (mainly because of the price), but have a well equipped friend who has been taking me along to the range last couple of years.

To me the HKs were the easiest guns he has (next to the 1911s) to pick up and shoot accurately. I happen to prefer the sqeeze bang trigger on the HKs to the pull bang triggers on the Sigs and the roll bang trigger on the Glocks. (it is difficult to really describe these differences, ya really have to try em out for yourself). Thought the triggers on the HK tactical, elite, and mk 23 (45s) were especially nice. He recently traded a G29(10mm) for a standard USP 40cal and the trigger was a little gritty and not as smooth at first but after a detailed cleaning & lots of dry firing it smoothed out pretty nice. (yeah he made out real well on the trade). The p2000 was OK but I'd probably go for the USP if I could afford it. I like all the HKs he has (especially his P7) except his 40cal HK compact which I refer to as "the little hand stinger" because of its propensity for muzzle flipping recoil. I imagine a more experienced shooter would be able to manage it better but thought even his G29 was more fun to shoot.

Have not fired a Steyr M-A1 .40 but suspect the recoil would be less problematic than the HK compact because of the lower bore axis reducing muzzle flip. If ya just want to have fun and aren't married to 40cal and can afford one the HK 45s are pretty easy to shoot.

The folks at Continental Arms in Timonium have a range and a couple M-A1s in 9mm for sale - they might let ya try one out. They have a sister store called White Marsh in Reisterstown with an M40 (non A1) that I think the somewhat dismissive girl answering the phone said they want 550 for.

CONTINENTAL ARMS
    9603 Deereco Road
    Timonium, Maryland
    410-560-3609

Anyway, happy hunting,

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

My HK is first generation, with the worst trigger possible. But I was thinking that the newer generation EXPERT and TAC HK's were much improved, and mugdava pretty much says that. As much as I think HK's are overpriced, man I'd love to have an EXPERT or TAC pistol in 45cal....Since my trigger job, it can't miss......I'd go with the HK :wink:

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

What am I missing here? Why can't you order a M40-A1 off gunbroker or some other auction site from a private owner and just have them ship it to your FFL? I understand hassles from out-of-state FFL's not wanting to ship to your area, but surely you could find a NIB or LNIB M40-A1 in the hands of a private seller? It even seems like a reach to say you are unable to find a licensed dealer who won't ship to your area? :? :?:

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

When I go from my M9 to my friend's HK 2000, I can't hit the broad side of a barn

15. smores

smores Guest

I've contacted 4 sellers of new Steyr M40-A1's on GunBroker. None of them have a fired case in the box from the manufacturer (MD Law). I have considered getting a used one, but my shop said they'd only transfer in from a dealer. Does that mean I can't buy from an individual? Or can they take the gun to their FFL dealer to send it to my FFL dealer?

It seems much easier just to get a different gun for now and wait for a used M40-A1 to pop up at my store. Apparently there's a guy who buys a lot of guns just for the hell of it and 9/10 of them end up back at the shop within a month. He bought the last M40-A1 my shop had. I'm on the call list if it does come back. I dunno. I'm just going to get my AK for now, and wait it out.

These USP's are looking mighty nice though. It seems like people either love them or hate them (like Glocks... lol). I love the look and love the feel. Maybe I can try a range where I can rent one or whatever.

16. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

has HK service improved any?

cant hit the broad side of a barn what trigger does it have?
    DA and DAO will do that to many people even me. learning it though can help you shoot better overall go back to SA will do better.

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

HK customer service is reported to have improved greatly now that their facilities are set up in Alabama(?).

You can buy from any individual and they can ship to your FFL. Aren't a few forum members FFL's? Surely SOMEONE could help you out. I swear my M9A1 came with a fired case in an envelope, but I might be wrong (I got it from Davidson's last year). If nothing else, I would assume someone could help you out in the for sale portion of our little corner of the internet - it shouldn't be asking a lot for someone selling a used M40-A1 to mail off a piece of spent brass with the pistol.

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have the same problem with my GF's 2000. the sites are set up higher then bullet contact...aim high, shoot low.......

19. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

GF's is DA/SA.....on the 2000.....my USP is right on though, where I aim is where I hit......

20. smores

smores Guest

went to my shop today. Handled a few USPs and I absolutely love them. If Steyrs are still hard to come by when it's time for my next pistol I'll be taking home one in .40 S&W

I would have bought one, but I had planned to buy a rifle and they had only one left of the one I wanted. The guys at the shop said they weren't getting any more of that model so I had to jump on it :twisted: