US FLAG uniform patch question

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by babj615, Sep 13, 2007.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Can anyone in the "know" give me a lesson on what different versions of the US flag uniform patch [and others] mean?

I am specifically interested in knowing the meaning of the subdued and reversed US flag patch:

[​IMG]

any and all info will definitely be welcome...

Thank You

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Here is an explanation about the reversal from marlowwhite.com, a military uniform merchant:

"Civilians often wonder why the US Army Flag Patch is reversed. The answer is: not all Army Flag Patches are reversed, but only those worn on the right shoulder. The reason has to do with proper display of the flag.

The blue field of stars should always be in the highest position of honor. When viewing the flag on a wall, the highest position of honor is the upper left when displayed horizontally, and at the top (upper left) when displayed vertically. When displayed on a "moving object" like a person or vehicle, the highest position of honor is the front, and not the rear; so the field of blue should be displayed to the front."

The patch is muted since it is worn on a camouflage uniform and if it was red, white, and blue it would work against the camo.

3. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I think the infra red ones are pretty cool. Does anyone know how well they show up with night vision gear?

[​IMG]

4. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I honestly believe that flag changes, covers (hats), be it berret or cap, and other various uniform changes happen for a purely political and monitary reason. Someone, somewhere, pays off the right people, who make the changes, and the payors just happen to be in the position to supply the new item.

It's JMHO, but things like that have been happening in the military for a long, long time.

Lady Bird Johnson ring a bell?

5. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

Flag etiquet has been around for a long time. Get a copy and read it. You will learn a lot about how the flag IS NOT suppose to be displayed. The reason given for the flag on the right shoulder is correct. I do not confess to be an expert. Only a Patriot.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

No. Why?