Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have looked through the forum, and I emailed Steyr directly when I first purchased the gun: but never got an answer. I do believe that it may just be an extractor issue based on some other posts.

When I unload my Steyr S40-A1 the round does not fly out of the gun like it does in all my other handguns. The round pulls out of the chamber but just drops down into the magwell. No matter how quick I rack the slide it just drops.

The gun also starts to have fte's after 40 rounds. ( I assume if the first issue is not related then this one at least may have something to do with the extractor)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I believe I do have an ejector, but maybe it is damaged? I am not real gun savvy so I figure some pics may help.

My photos are too small and grainy to help, I will have to put better pics up.....

Office equipment Office supplies Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Office equipment Bumper Automotive exterior Office supplies Auto part
Gas Auto part Fashion accessory Carmine Composite material
Laptop Office equipment Office supplies Gas Gun accessory
Office equipment Laptop accessory Laptop Gadget Musical instrument accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
its fairly common for a live one to fall out of the magwell when unloading. its happened several times with each of my steyr's. i think it has more to do with the weight of the bullet than the ejector. if there is a mag in place, the cartridge has something to ride on top of until it hits the ejector. no mag = no support. so they simply fall. and empty brass doesn't weight near the same so those go back and make contact with the ejector as well.

as far as the FTE's go, how many rounds do you have down the pipe? have you cleaned the extractor? if you have then go to the home page here and look @ the tutorials, us steyr guys have become quite accustomed to working on these pistols, and more importantly sharing the knowledge with our brothers.

i hope this helped...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I guess Steyr is just odd when it comes to unloading. ( my CZ's, Glocks, Taurus, Diamondback, Ruger, hk45c, all throw the live rounds out when you rack the slide with no mag in the gun)

My extractor is clean. I will try putting more rounds downrange and see if it "breaks in." I have only put 150 rounds through it because each time I have taken it out it starts to act up around 50 rounds and I switch out for something more reliable. I use good ammo that does not give me any problems in other guns, it just seems that when it gets a little dirty it doesn't want to cycle consistently or eject properly. I use the same oil that works flawlessly on all my other handguns and they can go 100's of rounds without a hiccup. (except for my piece of junk Gen 4 Glock 22 which has at about one fte stovepipe or misfire every 50 rounds)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
all of my "old model" M-a1's ( non roll pin models ) do it, and i know a few of the guys ive sold to here locally have experienced it as well. one in particular being an S40-A1 w/ roll pin...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My S does this as well, BUT ONLY WHEN THE SAFETY IS ON.
Turn the safety off and forcefully rack the slide and the round goes flying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have seen S9-A1's and S40-A1's in person that had manual safeties. They are far less common though, and the one pictured does NOT have a safety. I was trying to provide some insight as to why this problem may be occuring.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Steyr pistols typically are weak ejectors - the spring that sits behind the plunger isn't very strong. Spent brass (without the bullet) struggles to get any real distance from the shooter. This means that unless you rack the slide back with the fury of God, it isn't going to throw the [complete] cartridge very far - it is much more likely to drop down the magwell.

If you take your other pistols and rack the slides a lot slower and weaker, you will probably see the same behavior. This is one of the reasons the "1911 extractor spring fix" is so successful with our pistols - it greatly improves the ejector spring tension and provides a lot more "umph" when tossing out brass (or in your case, complete cartridges).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just got off the phone with Steyr.
Amazing, just as I have read on this site: Steyr customer service is top-notch.
They are sending me a new extractor!! :thumbsup:

I really hope this solves the problem, I would love for this gun to be reliable so I can use it as my backup carry.

I also had to call Diamondback and they as well have great customer service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just received and installed my new extractor and spring.
I am worried this may not fix my Steyr's reliability issues though since the only difference I could see was that the new spring is slightly longer than the old one.
The extractor itself looks identical to the one I took out.
I will keep my fingers crossed and see what happens at the range. :leaving:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am new here and just got my M40-a1 yesterday. I am having the same problem, which is how I found this thread. I, too, thought it was odd that when doing a tactical reload, or racking the slide after the mag is dropped, the chambered round falls down the mag well. Let me know what you find out.
Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am new here and just got my M40-a1 yesterday. I am having the same problem, which is how I found this thread. I, too, thought it was odd that when doing a tactical reload, or racking the slide after the mag is dropped, the chambered round falls down the mag well. Let me know what you find out.
Thanks
Mine does that too, but only if I rack the slide slowly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.