Ugh I think I broke it !!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Boriqua, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

I picked up an M9-A1 today because the damn thing felt so good in my hands. I brought it home and like I am want to do before I go and shoot it I took it apart and cleaned it and oiled it and put it back together. Well now the trigger will not work?? what did I do wrong. It didnt seem that difficult but now no matter what I do I can not get this damn thing to dry fire. HELP!!
    Alex

2. celsee

celsee Guest

Boriqua, how far did you "take it apart"? If you just did a routine slide removal cleaning, not sure what could have gone wrong (I'm sure someone else here will know!).

But if you broke it down further by pulling the assembly B out of the frame and and taking it apart the most likely problem is you put the trigger spring in wrong. See the tutorials for the proper assembly instructions.

And Welcome to the club!

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Dito the welcome, and I would also take a hard look at the tutorials. Maybe take it apart as far as you did the first time, take a pic of whetever parts you have disassembled, post them, then we can guide a lot better. Good luck, once you start shooting it theres no going back!!

4. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

I only did a basic field strip? As instructed by the manual I checked the chamber, let the slide go forward, Pulled the trigger ... a little odd but OK ... then I pressed the safety button lock thingy and rotated the lever. Wala the slide slid forward and I took out the barrel recoil spring and slide. Nothing more. I am not that brave. I cleaned em all up and took the packing grease off. Cleaned the magazines and Reassembled the gun. Now I cant get the trigger to make the firing pin go snap. I have a sig I have taken apart 50 times and never a problem. I am kinda bummed as I wanted to go play with my new toy tommorrow at the range but cant seem to make the trigger work again. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Alex

5. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

As another hopefull clue ... If I rack it and hold on to the slide so it doesnt slam under its own power it will get stuck about 1/4 inch from fully closed?

6. armored

armored New Member

I don't pull the trigger when I take my slide off. I push the lock button in and turn the lever, and off pops the slide.
    You might check the lock button, try useing the key and wiggle it a bit. If that does not work I would remove the slide without pulling the trigger then put the slide back on. You may have it out of battery.
    Seems I have done something simular by accidently pulling the trigger with the slide off, or some other mindless goof I have made when taking the pistol apart( I put it together once with out the recoil spring, thought I really messed it up that time)
    . I'm sure you have not broken anything, and with some "goofing "with it ,it will work fine.
    Even better maybe one of the well versed on the pistol will respond and have you on your way to the range in no time.

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Thats really odd, I cant take my old M40 apart without discharging the trigger. Boriqua, make sure when reassembling you have that little lever at a 45 degree lined up with the little line on the frame. Thats all I can think of.

8. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Can you pull the trigger all the way back or does it act like it's in a locked position?

If it is the later, you might have locked the internal lock by mistake when you put it back together. Double check that it is in the unlocked position.

-D

9. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

When I first put the slide back on to the frame the lever snaps into place but the safety on the trigger stays buried in the trigger. I read on here about reseting the trigger so I go ahead and hold the trigger down while gently moving the slide rearward and the safety pops out. At this point I should be able to pull the slide all the way back, let it go and get the gun to dry fire but NO click! The safety moves in and the trigger moves about half way back and at the point it should go click it seems like something is inhibiting the balance of the travel. I have taken the slide off and on so many times over the last twenty four hours my fingers hurt and still cant get it to work. I have been doing this with no mag in the well. If I ride the slide it will get stuck about 1/4 inch from completely closed. Damn I didnt even get to fire it yet. I tried turning hte key and unturning it back to the fire position several times. Guys I am stuck. I never had a gun with oneof these trigger safeties and I got to say. Give me simple. Im bummed
    Alex

10. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Have you tried replacing the slide w/o holding the trigger? It should reset itself by just racking it. When you have the slide off, just place it back on the rails and slide it back on w/o touching the trigger. Then pull the slide all the way back to charge it. You shouldn't need to hold the trigger when charging the weapon.

On more thing to check, when you have the slide off. Try to put downward pressure on the sear (part #10) with your finger and then pull the trigger (at the same time) to see if it moves. If not then there is something more serious wrong.

Other than that we might have to wait for BigTaco to help you diagnose the issue. He is the most knowledgable about the trigger group and how it operates.

I'm suprised that this has happened from just a field stripping...

-D

11. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

Ok I think I have found the problem but I dont know how to fix it. When the gun is at rest the safty inside the slide is under a ledge and hence the trigger cant move backward. When you pull in the safety the metal bit inside the frame slides rearward and allows for the trigger to move through its arc. This all works according to plan but it wont return to that position. It would seem that some spring is supposed to push back on the trigger mech with enough force to push the safety back under that ledge but it is not happeneing. It just gets stuck there unless I manually push on part# 16 or pull out the trigger by gripping it on both sides and pulling.
    Alex

12. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Was this new in box when you bought it?
    Equally stupid question: did you make sure the trigger worked before you field stripped it?

13. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

Yes it fired before I field stripped it and yes it was new in the box ... well until I took it apart and make it not work anymore. I swear it was a simple field strip. I dont take apart trigger assemblies!
    Alex

14. Boriqua

Boriqua Guest

Wow 200+ dudes checked out this thread and NO one has had there trigger not work?
    Alex

15. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

we need good description for mental images that or pictures.

check out corts Steyr assembly/disassmble page
    http://www.vbrpc.org/steyrguide/

sounds like it could be built in lock not springing out or the trigger bar issue didnt read thoroughly so just ignore what I said.

make sure the slide goes into full battery dont ride the trigger when the slide is moving you can decock the pistol with the trigger. its not a safe decock either.

16. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

A pic wold help a lot. Whereabouts are you located? maybe someone could meet up with you to take a look at it...

17. armored

armored New Member

If you can't get it call Steyr!
    Believe me its NOT like calling SIG.They will have a HUMAN answer the phone by the 3rd ring.
    When you call ask for the Gunsmith, they will connect you straight to him. I can't remember his name but you will find him VERY helpfull. I'm sure he will walk you thru the problem and NOT desert you until the problem is solved.
    Try it, You will have your faith in true Customer service restored!

18. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Boriqua :D

Welcome. I can only think of 2 things that immediately come to mind and both rather involve the need to send it back to SAI to get it fixed proper.

1) A forced disassembly occured and something broke
    2) There was something already busted laying in wait for the first
    time it was disassembled

Either case, send it back ASAP and get it back fixed ASAP. If all you did was a simple field strip and it hasn't worked properly since, something already was busted or you broke it. :roll: If you didn't break it, it was already busted. Simple. Under the same circumstances, I'd contact SAI and make arrangements for the service work. I've only had one similar problem when I had the trigger group apart and it took me a few hours to get it to work again, but for the life of me I can't remember what the Hell I did to make it not work and then get it to work again. I always felt that it had something to do with parts #23 and #24, key and key lock spring. Your situation is probably entirely different since you didn't take these 2 parts out. <shrug> Oh well, my $0.02 worth. Good luck.

Wulf

19. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

The gunsmith is Jeff. Great guy. Jack usually answers the phone, I think he is custom sales. I dont remember though.