Two mainsprings and smooth trigger

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Triungle, May 23, 2007.

1. Triungle

Triungle Guest

Let me share my experiment with trigger – how to make it more acceptable for precise shooting.

First, I’ve installed TriggerThammer (as a lot of us) … but was not satisfied with trigger enough – it was not same, what I want to feel when I shoot!

What I did? I did easy - took out ONE mainspring from the hammer!
    You know – hammer have 2 mainsprings. Each of them is strong enough to fire a cartridge. Two is too much… I sought.
    Result:
    I’ve easy leave one spring on the hammer,
    obtained light and smooth shot – and one spring in stock!

Yesterday I’ve fired 140 rounds without any problems and big pleasure! It is really different rifle now!
    One spring is absolutely enough.

2. Slunglo

Slunglo Guest

3. Triungle

Triungle Guest

- triggertammer - the part which "reload" the hammer catch spring. It makes the trigger mowement easier.
    However, it does not enough.
    I wrote about the hammer Mainsprings - remove one of them.
    And write here about your feeling!

4. bpjunkie

bpjunkie New Member

safe for rifle?

do the springs on the hammer slow down the action speed as it cycles? i just wondered if hammer tension against the back of the bolt affected bolt speed. i would hate to remove a spring and pound the action to pieces just to improve the trigger. i realize its not a "blow-back action". just hate to damage something i can't replace.

5. Triungle

Triungle Guest

-- yes... I thought about this.
    But I think that :
    1) it will ""reload" all trigger & hammer mechanish. As lower tension - as longer life of all mechanism
    2) - it can affect on the back recoil impuls - but if we'll shoot with different bullet waight (3,6g or 4,0 g) for example.... or different velosity ...will be the same effect - we pound the action to pieces...

What do you think?

6. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I'd think if the hammer springs have a significant effect on the speed of the action (and removing one of two will lead to damage to the weapon) the design of the gun is horribly bad (and the gun deserves to be pounded to pieces and belongs on the scrap heap anyway) :shock: :x

Just my .02, what do I know etc... :roll:

7. bpjunkie

bpjunkie New Member

i'm not an engineer

just think that if it could have been designed with one spring for a better trigger, don't you think they would have made it that way in the first place. all factors in a design are there for a reason. i don't want to damage a jewel of a rifle. just being cautious.

8. bpjunkie

bpjunkie New Member

any aug armorers out there?

speak up on this subject please.

9. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Re: i'm not an engineer

Well, there are reasons and there are reasons. Good and bad reasons, for example.
    While familiarizing myself with the designs of various guns and the stories of their design and development, it seems to me weapons design is 20% inspiration, 50% perspiration, 35% luck and coincidence and 15% sheer stupidity. The last component typically includes outlandish, unrealistic and useless design demands by the army or whoever ordered the design in the first place and who most often seem to go out of their way to sabotage originally healthy designs.

My point being that just because it's a basically sound and well-working design, it doesn't mean every detail is "perfect" or even well thought out. Most weapons have strange and useless, if not outright negative design features for "reasons" that seemed good to someone at some point.

Now for some speculation about the AUG's very heavy double hammer springs.

Maybe someone wanted to make sure the rifle would even in the hardest conditions and despite lack of proper maintenance set off even the hardest military ammo primers, no matter what. That might explain the very stiff/powerful springs.
    Commercial primers are usually softer so it's no wonder the rifle works fine with just one spring.

Maybe it was suspected that if only one extremely strong spring was used on one side, it might "cam" something in the trigger mechanism and cause wear and endanger the functioning of the rifle.

Or maybe there are two springs so that even if one failed, the rifle would most likely still work with one.

Or maybe it just looked better on the drawing board that the design was symmetrical. And maybe the guy who added the second spring forgot to alter the spring rating accordingly and the result is two very stiff springs, when only one is needed. When someone else finally noticed this, the factory had already ordered five million springs and it would have been too expensive to buy another five million.
    Stranger things have happened...

Anyway, if the hammer springs were an important part of the design regarding the velocity of the moving parts, it would be part of standard maintenance to replace them every two thousand rounds, if not more often. There would be a full page warning in the manual that if you don't replace them often enough (or use other than Official Steyr Springs), you risk damage to your rifle for which the manufacturer will not be held responsible. And that only an Approved Official Steyr Gunsmith may change the springs, otherwise the warranty is void.

10. Triungle

Triungle Guest

-----Or maybe there are two springs so that even if one failed, the rifle would most likely still work with one. -----

AUG’s design is strongly- military orientated product.
    We can see: scope, trigger, easiness of reassembling, protection against dirt or dust…
    I sure that 25 years ago, when Austrian engineers made this really PERFECT and BEST assault rifle, they don’t thought that we’ll use these rifles for sport or just to shoot empty bottles in fields… they did not image about commercial versions which have a little bit different requirements than military models..
    It’s my opinion…

but for any case, possible to inseart a kind of rubber "recoil buffer'' ..

11. Triungle

Triungle Guest

So mans,
    As I am a big admirer of statistic – lets me report that—
    I’ve did about 1000 shoots with modified reduced springs mechanism.
    No any visible changes in the parts.

12. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Guest

Hammer springs

Removing one hammer spring is wonderfull.
    Makes a big improvement.
    Triungle is absolutely correct.
    I have a Flemming Sear installed in my pack.
    It only came with one hammerspring, I added the trigger tamer as well and it is a really nice trigger.
    No bad effects yet, I've shot about 8,000 rnds in Full Auto.
    I don't believe the hammersprings have any added resistance to the bolt carrier.

That is what your recoil springs are for.

I think the second hammer spring is typical of Austrian overengineering.
    One spring is sufficient, and lightens the trigger very well.

just my opinion.
    I am not an engineer or armorer

13. bpjunkie

bpjunkie New Member

any tension on the hammer off axis? just curious if this leads to any distortion of pin holes. 8000 rounds with no problems is pretty impressive. just how much would you say it lightened the trigger pull. anybody throw a tension gauge on before and after?

14. Drcoffee

Drcoffee New Member

I'm bringing this one back fro the dead. I'm working on something that will keep your hammer pack intact but still reduce the trigger pull by 2+ Lbs. I copied this from my post on another forum.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very cool, Drcoffee - many of us are following these threads with interest.