Two Holster Review

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by majette, Jul 5, 2007.

1. majette

majette Member

hi all! i just received two holsters in the past few days and thought i'd give you all my initial thoughts. first up is a...

High Noon Split Decision from High Noon Holsters, http://www.highnoonhosters.com. it is an IWB (inside Waist Band) leather holster with a 15 degree forward cant.

[​IMG]

it is made of glove leather, very thin, with a somewhat fine rough exterior, sort of sueded. stitching is very good. overall a pretty nice looking rig. the belt clip is good sized and appears to be strong. not sure if it will bend after clipping it on a off a few hundred times, though, so time will tell. it has an adjustable tension screw to lessen the likelihood of the pistol inadvertently sliding out/around. the paperwork that came with it gave some tips for breaking it in some but mine fit snug out of the box. wearing it for a day it is comfortable but the weight of the pistol is noticeable. there was no shifting while seated or walking.

[​IMG]

there is an extension that the clip is on that allows the holster to be worn with your shirt tucked in for those times you are not able to wear a long t-shirt or sweatshirt, do not wear your shirt out of your trousers, or a jacket or sweater is not an option. of course, your shirt needs to fit loosely, no wifebeaters or underarmor muscle shirts! my body shape shows a slight bulge where the pistol is but the average person would not notice anything out of the ordinary, i imagine.

[​IMG]

price is 34.95 with 7.00 for UPS Ground shipping. they make custom holsters but the Split Decision is an in-stock item so there is no long wait; you can have it a few days after ordering. so far i give it a very good rating as an IWB holster and the ablity to wear it with your shirt tucked in is a definite plus.

next up is the...

Ghost, Inc G.I. Stealth from http://www.ghostinc.com. this is a polymer IWB holster that seems like a gimmick at first but actually works very well.

it slides and locks onto a standard picatinny rail. it also has a rail molded in so you can mount a light, laser, or virtually any rail accessory onto it and have it concealed with your pistol. as they say, tacticool, dood!

[​IMG]

(note: the holster has one slot on the picatinny rail. i had another slot cut further back so the light/laser would mount in this position. Arthur Viani, from Ghost, Inc. confirmed that another slot could be added with no complications or adverse effects.)

wear is very comfortable and the weight of the pistol is distributed evenly, it actually has less felt weight than the High Noon Split Decision. with a larger light or laser the recommended draw is to swivel the butt of the pistol in towards you body slightly then pull up. with no mounted accessory or a low profile/narrow unit like my Insight XL2, draw and presentation are a breeze. while it is similar to a mexican carry, there is actually a guard molded to keep anything from contacting the trigger while sliding onto your belt or during the draw. the natural position also keeps the trigger lower than the top of the waistband.

cost of the G.I. Stealth is 29.95 plus 6.00 for USPS priority mail, and i think it is an excellent buy. it is an in-stock item also so you can have it a few days after ordering. Ghost, Inc has a discount program for LE, Security, Firefighters, and Military Personnel. they also sell a lot of accessories for Glocks so if you have one of those other Austrian-made polymer pistols, you can find other products from them as well.

i have to note that i contacted each company before ordering their product with questions and both were prompt to respond and were very courteous and professional.

thought you all would like this mini-review!

-Adrion

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Thanks for the reviews.
    I have carried my M9 in a High Noon Hidden Ally (non-canted version of the Split Decision) for about a year and it has held up fine. The tuckable feature, although creating a deep-concelament situation, has proven to be quite useful to me.
    I just got the Split Decision yesterday for my Colt 1991.

3. majette

majette Member

for the price i think both holsters are a great value, coming in together for a total less than the cost of a single holster from other manufacturers. i also was able to get a second slot cut in the G.I. Stealth today at L&W Machine Works, a machine shop in Norfolk, VA. looks factory and lets me mount the XL2 at the correct distance for engagement with the index finger.

the two holsters give me an option for carry based on the type of clothing i am wearing. i may have to buy another steyr to have one for each holster!

thanks!

4. West01

West01 New Member

Great report Majette. Thanks!

One question. How easy is to reholster the pistol after a draw with the "Split Decision"?

Thanks Again!

West01
    :D

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

My M9 can be reholstered in my Hidden Ally (non-canted version of the Split Decision) by inserting the middle finger into the holster and then putting the muzzle of the gun in the holster. As there is no mouth reinforcement in these models you may have to use this method on a good number of occasions.
    The Split Decision I just got for my Colt 1991 cannot be reholstered that way becuase the longer barrel makes it impossible to execute the above move. The reholsering must be done by laying the muzzle more towards the horizontal and rotating it in. So far the Colt reholstering has resulted in snagging about half the time, whereas the M9 almost never does.

6. majette

majette Member

yes, i use a finger to guide it in like SELFDEFENSE does.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You're going to run into that problem with any kind of glove leather holster. But hey - for the $aving$, it hardly seems like THAT much of a sacrifice...

8. West01

West01 New Member

Thanks for the info. guys.

West01

:D

9. N24RE

N24RE Member

Great review, and thanks for the links. I have been looking for something just like the GI!

Thanks again

Steve

10. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

:shock:
    Look where the trigger is.
    Rub up against something the wrong way and BOOM!
    There is a very good reason all non-competition duty holsters since the dawn of time have the triggers covered.

[​IMG]

11. majette

majette Member

changed web domains and finally added new links for the pics.

12. stare-decisis

stare-decisis New Member

Nice write up and review.

13. motorhommie

motorhommie Guest

14. asuteke

asuteke Guest

I'm sorry but that G.I. stealth kinda sucks. You definitely need that trigger covered while holstered. Not to mention the lack of a sweat guard. I wonder how long the finish will hold up like that.

15. Sardaukar

Sardaukar New Member

Ordered the Split Decision holster last night. Can't wait to try it out.