Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had problems with two Steyr SSG 69 P1s. Basically I used to be able to shoot decent groups with these guns at 100m.

Then almost suddenly the guns started shooting wildly. I mean I couldn't shoot any kind of group with them. Just to confirm it wasn't my shooting on the same day I used my friend's SSG 69 gun with the same ammo and I was able to shoot sub-MOA groups. I've since changed the rifle and so far no problems but I'm wondering whether I will see this problem surface again with my new gun.

Has anyone seen this behavior before with SSG 69 P1s? Does the rifling deteriorate quickly? Note I've put around 1000 rounds through each barrel and I purchased both of them 2nd hand both in good condition. I'm using the same ammo.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you done anything to the rifles recently?

Cleaned them?
Disassembled any part of them?
Transported or traveled with them?
Dropped them?
Had them gunsmithed?
What scope or sights are you using and have they been adjusted or altered recently?

"..[C]hanged the rifle..."? "..[N]ew gun..."? Not certain what you are intending to convey here. What "change" did you do? Did you dispose of the 'problem' rifles? Are you referring to one new rifle or?

Every rifle is a law onto itself with ammunition, so you can't always use another rifle as a control mechanism, but it seems that your ammunition loves your friend's rifle.

Have you installed two barrels in one rifle? One can go bad through use, abuse, neglect, etc., but it would be a rarity to get a bad replacement barrel considering that Steyr cold hammer forges their barrels.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Changing a barrel on an SSG 69 is pretty much impossible unless sent back to the factory. They are pressed in with, like, 10 tons of pressure. Sounds like an optics issue. But that's just a guess.
You didn't swap bolts did you? Not that that would necessarily cause this.

Bittrich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts