Trigger weight for M357-A1?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Rangemaster where I shoot had a trigger-weight gauge. My M357-A1 tested at 6.5 lbs. vs. my S&W 1076 10mm tested at 6.25 lbs. in single-action. I thought both triggers felt about the same. But isn't 6.5 lbs. a tad heavy for an MA1? Can a good gunsmith lighten it up, or is that playing with fire? At 400+ rounds, I suspect it's as broken in as it's going to get, but time and more rounds will tell. :?:

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

1.5lbs? beats the 8lbs the very first had.
    will lighten up a little.

dont know any smiths that do work on steyr's for trigger.
    check BigTaco's pdf's and info. best to shoot it more.

location of the trigger can make a difference so can using finger pad or first knuckle.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Mr. A,

6.5 lbs., not 1.5. Now that's a hair trigger if I ever heard of one.

I'd love to get it down to 4 or 5 at least, but if not I can certainly live with it as is. The trigger's as "shootable" as my S&W 1076 10mm at 6.25 lbs.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

1.5lbs difference. 6.5lbs-5lbs=1.5lbs or 1.5lbs + 5lbs =6.5lbs
    sorry caught the vague plague

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Use it and lose it (some of the 6.5 lbs, that is).

6. English

English New Member

If you don't do anything to it other than shoot it I suspect it will keep on getting better up to about 20,000 rounds.

English

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

6.5 is about what you'll get, weight wise.

from there you can make the 6.5 smoother, which feels a lot better.

i estimated my trigger pull at 4 lbs when i got done polishing stuff. but it actually sits right around 6.5. it just feels so good.

i have every intention of getting in there and designing a new trigger/trigger bar with a different leverage ratio. could probably get it down to 2 lbs, but we'd need a 5 lb minimum to keep it competition legal.

anyway,,, good shooting

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Smooth as a baby's behind

I was really surprised when the trigger gauge didn't stop until 6.5 lbs. I thought it would weigh out less than my S&W 1076, not a tad more. The entire pull is smooth as silk. About the only difference between the two is the S&W has more of a "clean break" than the Steyr, but not by much. I'd hate to have to live on the difference between the two and it's comparing a single-action trigger release to a double-action one. That's simply amazing.

Hat's off to Steyr's engineers. I can't imagine there's another DOA trigger in the industry that's anywhere close.

I actually feel a little guilty complaining about a 6.5-lb. trigger pull when it's as smooth as the Steyr. I guess the number just surprised me.

Didn't I read somewhere here that the MA1 trigger pull is supposed to be about 5 lbs. or has my CRS disease kicked in again?

Anyway, I went back and reread Big Taco's trigger tuneup and I can't really say there's any "grit" or evidence of anything inconsistent about my trigger, so I don't plan to fool around in there. I'll just keep on shooting.
    Color me happy! :mrgreen: