Trigger test time

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just got a new Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Gauge and couldn't wait to test my pistols. Two are missing in action at the moment. Walther P22 I loaned my daughter-in-law for qualifying shooting at the NC Concealed Carry class she and my son attended last Saturday. (Sure makes a papa proud to know both his offspring, son and daughter, will be packing heat!)

Also missing in action is my new CZ75 SP01 Custom, which had to go back to Angus Hobdell's custom shop for a bit of tweaking. It's on the way back and scheduled for Monday delivery.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the results from six of my pistols with some surprises. All were tested with at least five trigger pulls averaged, some more. When I doubted the results, I repeated testing.
    [​IMG]
    Top left is the champion, no surprise, my new S&W 22A-1 .22LR target pistol, 1 lb., 12.4 oz. Wow! I knew that trigger's light and crisp but I would not have guessed it's that light.
    Top right in 2nd place is my 30-year-old, new-to-me Colt Huntsman .22LR pistol, 2 lbs. 3.9 oz. Nothing shabby about that.
    Second row left in 3rd place is my new-to-me Llama IX-C .45 ACP high-cap, 4 lbs. 3.4 oz. I really was expecting something in the high to middle 3s, it's sure a light, crisp .45 trigger some previous owner put in it. No real big surprises so far, top 3 are all SA triggers, which is to be expected. Now the DOA triggers.
    Second row right in 4th place (1st DAO) is my customized G29, 4 lbs. 5.6 oz. Again, I thought it was even lighter that. It is an extremely smooth and light DAO trigger. The Glock armorer, glock10mmman at 10mmtalk.com, who did the custom work really knows his stuff. A DAO trigger that's almost as light as a really good 1911 SA trigger! But no real surprise. I knew it was great to start with.
    Big Surprise #1: Third row left is my Kel-Tec PF-9, in 5th place at 5 lbs. 2.0 oz. I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles it was somewhere way upwards of 6 lbs. What do I know?
    Big Surprise #2: Third row right is my M357-A1, in sixth place at 5 lbs. 10.5 oz. Again I would have sworn on an even higher stack of Bibles that it was less than that. I retested several times, a total of about 25 or 30 trigger pulls, averaging 5 to 10. Odd thing was I would get an occasional 7 lb. pull and an occasional 4 lb. pull mixed in with the 5 lb. pulls. BigTaco has worked his trigger polishing magic on this pistol and it feels so smooth and light... but the numbers don't lie. Steyr's MA1 specs say factory trigger pull is 5.5 lbs. but mine is actually measuring higher. But it's the smoothest 5 lbs. 10.5 oz. DAO trigger on the planet! I can't believe that the PF-9 measures lower than the MA1. I guess there's a difference between actual weight and smoothness of pull, there sure is with these two. I can shoot my Steyr all day, but about 50 rds. at a time is all I want to do with the PF-9. Of course, the weight and shootability of the two pistols really makes a big difference.

So there you have it. When my CZ75 returns I'll measure it to see if it has the claimed 2.5 lb. pull in SA and I should see my son this weekend and get my Walther P22 back. One fact has been established. My tests prove I don't know squat about guessing trigger pulls.
    :mrgreen: :stupid:

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Very Nice, Netfoto!!!!

Where did ya get your guage?

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Cheaper Than Dirt, $49.97. Worth every nickel. I'll never guess again.

Man, those CTD guys, plus Midway and others oughta give me a commission. I'm always selling stuff for 'em.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just bought another blaster, S&W Model 21 .44 Special, and got my CZ75 SP01 Custom back from the shop, so I measured the triggers with my Lyman Digital Trigger Gauge on both to add to my specs list.

[​IMG]

CZ75 Custom: SA 2 lbs., 8.8 oz.; DA 7 lbs. 8.5 oz. Right on the money for what was promised by the CZ Custom Shop. Angus Hodbell and his crew do fine work. BTW, got the chance to blow two 19-rd. mags through it today at the gun shop range. No jams, all is well in CZ land.

S&W Model 21: SA 4 lbs. 8.3 oz.; DA 7 lbs. 11.5 oz. I was expecting much higher for DA, so big surprise. SA pull is quite crisp. Can't wait for the chance to shoot the brand-new beast! Tried out an ultralight .44 Special at the gun shop range. Ouch! Went for the Model 21. :mrgreen:

5. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

O man you gotta 44special.. :doh: I want one........ :pray:

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

We had a guy at a local range who loved those guns. He owned about twenty of them and some were really customized beautifully......he reloaded his own self defense loads for them one by one on a Rock Chucker. He said that you could load those up to a much higher pressure then 44special specs. He tested them out on a hanging piece of cow........good thing, he was a ugly SOB and looking at those beauties distracted us..... :lol: