Trigger? Sights?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Trevor, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Hi from Reno, NV. I recently purchased a new Steyr M9-A1. Thanks to the information on the Steyr Club Forum, I know now it was made in July 2005. The pistol is a great shooter, but I am finding the trigger still a little gritty or sticky. I have placed about 500 rounds so far through the pistol. I must say the sights it came with are a little weird. I don't know if I will get accustomed to them. What do people recommend for replacements? Otherwise it is an excellent pistol and a bargin too considering how well it is made.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Search the forum for PT Night Sights - you will find they offer a setup for just about anything you could desire in a few different colors. Regarding the trigger, I'm sure BigTaco and others will chime in momentarily to describe the procedure for smoothing it out. I think most users find the Steyr triggers to be excellent out of the box, but for those exceptions, I believe 1000 grit sandpaper to the firing pin guide rod/spring cures most problems. Slide disassembly instructions can be found in the tutorials on our homepage. I would say give it a good thorough clean and lube, do some dry firing, and then decide if it still needs any more work.

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have 3 sets of PT night sights, because the M40 I bought used came with a red-green-red set, and I really like it. So I ordered a fourth set for my newish MA1-40. My experience with PT has been very mediocre during this. They sent me a set of mostly dead sights, I called and told them, and they sent me another set with a good front and mostly dead rear. They then told me that they would send me a new rear when it comes in, sometime in late Sept or early Oct. I asked if they could just turn off the light, find a good set, and send those to me, but they said they do that already, and "something happens after we send them". I will say that they have been friendly and easy to work with on the phone, but call backs only happen after I leave several messages, and typically a day or two after I heard that "someone will call today".

But I just like that sight picture at night: ... so much more than all green dots, and that is why I put up with PT.

In the day, I find that the traps result in me shooting low at longer distance. That is why I replaced the my new A1 traps with PT.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Color choice is a big reason why I "like" PT. I have zero complaints about their products - my night sights are still kicking and plenty bright, but their customer service is, IMHO, lacking. Why on earth people assign the most anti-social, down-trodden, chip-on-their-shoulder employees to customer service is beyond me, but it certainly does seem to be common practice these days in a lot of industries...

5. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I looked through the PDFs on the front page, but didn't see anything about getting the striker assembly disassembled. Anyone have a tip on that part of it?

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It is in the slide disassembly FAQ...