Trigger pull

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by seoklashooter, Mar 17, 2007.

1. seoklashooter

seoklashooter New Member

:( I bought my m40 a couple years ago. When I first shot it the trigger pull seemed fine. I took it out today and it shot fine but the trigger pull was bad. It was hard and had a lot of creep. It could be my memory and the trigger was bad to start with. What is the SOP for good trigger pull with the m40. Thanks Brushy SE Okla.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'd say step one is a thorough cleaning and lubing.

pull the sub-frame from the frame and hose it down with solvent followed by a good lube.

your trigger creep is probably in the firing pin spring area. take the slide cap off, and clean/lube up the firing pin inside and out. then do the firing pin spring and guide rod.

if you notice any obvious scratches on the firing pin spring guide rod, these could be causing creep. maybe send it to sai for a once over.

if it worked before, cleaning/lubing should return it to it's former state.

3. amonkey

amonkey New Member

Big T has the answer!

I followed Big Tacos old tutorial (can we bring that back eventually?) :idea: and I can vouch that what he's saying definately gave me a smoother, more consistent trigger pull on my M-40.
    All guns are different and have minor variances/issues, but the concept applies to all the moving parts.
    What made a huge difference on mine was polishing the firing pin spring guide rod. The factory finish (it wasn't bare metal) and the miniscule machining marks needed to be polished. Once that was done, my trigger (and therefore my world) was smooth and consistent :lol:
    Try it!
    And thanks BT :!:

4. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

It sounds like I should do this trigger tweak on my M9A1. I remember seeing the tutorial a while ago. Has it been taken down? Thanks,

5. Sound25

Sound25 Guest

I second the "try the tutorial"... It reduced the weight of the trigger pull, smoothed it out, and made it into a sniper of a gun. It's amazing how crisp it breaks when pulled. Thanks again Big-T!

Sound26

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

somehow the tutorial got curropted/lost in the internet. I PMed big taco about it and he said that either he would get deluxe247 to put it back up again, or he may make a dvd version of it and sell it for a resonable price. dunno when , all he said was soon.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've been getting that error message a lot, too. Still, always good to go back and reload to see if the post went through. You can delete your own posts, too.

8. MythBuster

MythBuster Guest

How old is this gun? If it is one of the first production run they had a recall because of inconsistent trigger pulls

9. seoklashooter

seoklashooter New Member

I bought it 2 or 3 years ago when CDNN had a sale on them. It was before you could buy high capacity magazines. I would be very interested in the tutorial.
    I cleaned and lubed the firing pin guide. This helped quite abet but I can still feel a little creep and the trigger pull is still heavier than I like. Thanks for the information.
    Brushy SE Okla.

10. MythBuster

MythBuster Guest

One of my Steyr's has a trigger pull comparable to a tuned 1911. It was like that out of the box. The other is not so good.

11. If you cleaned it ala the tutorial and it still feels heavy or odd than I would contact Steyr Arms and see if your serial number was one of the ones with the old trigger that never got the free upgrade.

Good Luck.

12. seoklashooter

seoklashooter New Member

:D I talked with Jeff, neat no punching buttons or being on hold for ever, mine is one of pistols that needs the trigger updated. I am going to send it to him ASAP. Thanks for the help. Brushy SE Okla.

13. MythBuster

MythBuster Guest

Most likely you will be able to see a huge difference after they upgrade the trigger. The last one I know of that had the upgrade came back in much better condition.

Before it was sent back it felt like the trigger pull would vary from about 5 lbs to about 9. It seemed to change from day to day.

14. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

That sounds a lot like the trigger on my M9A1, pretty light on some pulls, heavy on others. What are the serial numbers of the units with the old trigger? Thanks,

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the "old" trigger is about 10,xxx and down. any a1 model would have the new trigger.

if you're having inconsistent trigger pull, you more than likely have a scratch on your firing pin guide rod. there is a split washer that slides down this rod. if the split goes over the scratch, you have a nice pull.

if the solid part of the washer rides over the scratch, it's gritty. especially if there is a burr on the washer.

this can easily be corrected by polishing this rod. if you don't know how to get that far in the break down, i could talk you through it. this also might mean that simply cleaning and lightly lubing this area of the action will clear up your problem.

16. seoklashooter

seoklashooter New Member

:D I don't have UPS pickup in the small town that I live in so my son shipped my pistol back on 03/23/2007. I received the pistol back today. From the packing slip it looks like Jeff replaced a handfull of parts. I just dry fired it once and the trigger pull went from fair to great. I sure hope these people stay around their service is great.
    Brushy SE Okla.

17. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, bigtaco,

I have an M9A1. I really want to try this trigger fix. The farthest I've stripped my M9A1 is the field strip described in the manual. I glanced over the trigger tutorial back when it was still up on this site. Any ideas when we'll see it again? Thanks,

18. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Mine is probabaly about 5.5 lbs. , crisp, and smooth from the box.