Trigger job

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by vonhess, Jun 27, 2007.

1. vonhess

vonhess Guest

Does anyone know a company that does trigger job for the M9. I don't really want a super light trigger, but if I can get a more smooth trigger for USPSA competitions. Thanks...

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

We used to have a trigger job tutorial for smoothing it out - it was lost during the last forum upgrade and hasn't been made available since. Would you like some DIY advice, or is your heart set on letting someone else do it?

3. nuj

nuj New Member

dear syntax360 , thank you very much for the barrel info, i wasn't able to buy one but its ok, i might as well stick to my stock barrel for the mean time. anway, i was wondering on how to make the trigger lighter. i had a glock once but sold it and its trigger mechanism is very easy to understand but when it comes to my steyr i really dont know where to begin. i tried disassembly and polish it to a mirror like finish but little or no change at all. can you please help me in this one, just e-mail me again at [email protected].

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

unfortunately, there is no "company" that does a steyr trigger job.

i have dabbled much with the trigger and wrote the trigger tutorial.

i can tell you that the firing pin spring guide rod (and the collar that slides down it) is where most of the trigger improvement can be found.

you'll need to polish the rod. i like 1000 grit paper lubed with rem-oil. then use a little jewelers screw driver to polish any burrs off of the edges of the collar. try not to polish the inside diameter of the split collar.

after re-assembling, you can use a smooth faced vise or pliers to lightly squeeze the collar around the rod.

you're after a nice smooth sliding fit with no slop.

to be sure, there are other sliding surfaces in the sear mechanism that can be absolved of friction by polishing. but to describe this in a post is too much.

no sense polishing the trigger bar. all it does is push the sear. no sliding/ no friction to polish away. it's not activating a plunger safety as on a glock.

5. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

read on this forum that Steyr pistols have come from the factory with 8, 5 and 6.5lb trigger pulls. the current M-A1s have a 6.5lb trigger pull and that trigger bar pin was lower on the original 8lb M series. noticed my trigger has slight circular indentations above and below the trigger pin(21) which probably correspond to the trigger pin placement for the 8 and 5lb settings. don't know if the trigger bar bend is different or not or what else might need to be modified so haven't decided to tap a new hole in my trigger and relocate the trigger pin upwards just yet but it is a potential avenue for exploration and it makes sense that moving the pivot point would effectively lengthen the lever/trigger and reduce the amount of force required. still, some elements of the steyr trigger assembly appear to be put together with a great deal of precision and modifications could have undesirable consequences - so please don't take this speculation as a recommendation.

(update: after disassembly and close examination, there does not appear to be enough clearance for the trigger safety to allow relocation of the trigger pin upwards)

got spoiled by the heavier gun lighter trigger pull of my 1911. not nearly as accurate with the steyr yet. first thought maybe the sights were off ':)', then realized i was flexing my hand just about every time i pulled the trigger and shootin off to the left. the trigger got smoother after a few hundred rounds and a good cleaning but still workin on my technique and trying to get the old trigger finger to function more independently.

for me, the best trigger modification probably lies inside my head and with the brains ability to train the body to perform complex compensatory tasks.

6. vonhess

vonhess Guest

I will to see the Do it your self.

How can I do it?

:D

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

^^^^^^^

ummm... see above

8. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there,
    i just want to let you all know that after a polished everything, from the firing pin assembly (spring included) to the trigger assembly, it did lightened up a bit when you pull the trigger. what i did was , instead of using very fine sandpaper, i used metal polish. i think trying to make the DAO trigger into a SA trigger is hard but not impossible. redesigning the parts and changing the spring tension is the best option . steyr designed it that way, even a glock only mimics the trigger action. if you really want a SA trigger get a 1911, mine has a 2.5 -3 lbs trigger, smooth as glass.