Trigger improvement, Gen 1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by revjen45, Oct 16, 2020.

1. revjen45

revjen45 Member

From the FAQ thread:
    "Gen 1 had a decent trigger, Gen 2 had an good trigger but some minor problems (extractor), and Gen 3 is rock solid - best trigger, and dependable functionality."

I really want to fix the rough take-up and mushy reset on my Gen. 1 S9, and at present I'm gathering all the info I need so it's not just wading in with Brute Force and Ignorance.

Are there Gen. 3 parts that can be swapped to smooth things out?
    I plan to get BT's guide rod & delrin bushings, maybe striker spring.
    Does the presence of the manual safety complicate things? I would like to reduce the amt of force req'd to disengage it, since I can't push up hard enough to work it. I don't wish to remove it.
    What part(s) should I order just in case? It's my EDC piece so having it down is not acceptable.
    Should I replace the extractor? It has never failed to extract and "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

Thanks for any help.

2. Zudrick

Zudrick Member

Not sure on the gen 1 but gen2 and gen3 are interchangeable from everything I see. Pulled mine out the other day and it went together fine but I didn’t test Fire it. If gen 1 and 2 work then you should be good to try a gen3. Beyound servicing parts I’m not sure I would try and fix somthing that isn’t broke or causing any problems. As far as the MT safety I would assume that would cause an issue for any swap but again I haven’t tried anything with a gen1 so I can’t really say beyound my assumption is that it won’t work. I would call steyr and see if you can talk to a armorer for better guidance or maybe some advice to polish up the trigger

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Case likes this.

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Tnsteyr has the polishing video on his YouTube channel.
    Gen 1 trigger spring are 80% the same . There are 2 that are different and not available anymore. Gen 2 to 5 are the same.

4. revjen45

revjen45 Member

Can the ones that are different still be used in the early guns?

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

No
    They are a different size and cut of the spring .