Steyr Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How about bars for an adjustable rear sight and a rod hole drilled near the apex of the front sight that won't interfere during daytime use? Some kind of day/night adjustable sights? Hmmm.... 8)

Wulf

· Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The front dot part is perfect, MrAp :D

If ya could bring the back sight bars together at the top at an inward slant to pick up the front sight, that'd be what I invision for tri-trap nightsights! Now, you and Scott get together and fix 'em for our group presentation to Steyr. Maybe we could even get a few sets to giv 'er a go. <shrug> Stranger things have happened. ;)

Wulf

· Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Howdy All :)

What about one rod hole in the front, like your post, MrAp and 2 rod holes positiononed at the top of the slanted bars...like the front. At night that'd give 3 dot sights and tri-trap for better lighting. Too complicated for a sight? Too busy? Whataya think? Just another thought? I can maybe use a drill press and drill the holes, and I saw a Hi Viz shotgun vented rib type kit with several rods in it for $15. Or maybe onna ya have a little clout with HiViz and we can get some o' them purdy colored light rods to experiment with, a little smaller in diameter than the Wal-Mart ones. Can ya play it out, MrApathy with your wonderful illustrations? Oh well, hava great weekend, All. :)

Wulf

· Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanx for postin', MrAp :)

Then that makes me very curious indeed to know what Steyr has in mind for their tri-trap night sights. Whatever it is, I expect it'll be like all their accessories...tried and true. Just kinda hate the waiting period thing. <shrug> Hava great weekend.

Wulf

· Registered
53 Posts
Greetings Rotorflyr,

Great info! :)

On the sight I read that Night Sight version(s) are in the works.

I agree, May be worth while to call or at least email them at their info site about what models are/will be available.

Can't tell for sure about rear sights on their picture, but appear to be dove-tail.

· Registered
507 Posts
Resurrect!

Any confirmation of Steyr sights now up for ordering?

I've been going through the forum and haven't seen any info yet. Sorry if I missed it :p!!!

· Registered
1,799 Posts
the only thing we could come up with was drilling the tri-traps for tritium vials. this then simply makes tri-trap day sights with three dot night sights.

i have a few sets of tri-traps here. the plan was for me to drill them and then have PT install the vials. don't know if you've kept up with PT but ThaiBoxer can tell you all about them.

with our "in" for tritium vials gone and trijicon offering three dots nights sights for $100, i don't see the point.

now... if some enterprising young engineer type knew of a material that would transluce or refract a round tritium light source into a large triangle. i'd be all ears!!!

i thought about cramming the biggest round vial i could find in the front sight and then making a cap piece that was a small triangle. but when PT pooped out that idea got round filed.

· Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I keep looking at the TruGlo fiber/tritium sights thinking that the fiber would bend and for the triangle and the two slants. It would take more technology that I have at hand to do it. Fiber is picky and doesn't like sharp bends, but there's no reason why the vials couldn't be to the left and right of the front sight, just like they would be on the rear. The illumination comes from the side of the fiber, so other than looking a little clunky, it would work.

· Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Would a piece of the fiber work if it were triangular at one end, round at the other and placed against the round tritium vial? The same idea (if it works) could be used for the rear traps as well. This could conceivably allow for larger, brighter vials to be used. :drool:

· Premium Member
2,482 Posts
It should. A single uncoated fiber wants a bend of more than 1/2" radius, so I was thinking to put the vials right next to the two slanted lines and run the fiber forward and then loop it backward making it into a line for the slant lines. The fibers would criss cross with the vial on the left providing light for the optic on the right and vice versa. The front sight would use two vials, on on either side of the triangle. I'd use two so that the front sight was brighter. The light would just illuminate the sides of the triangular fiber bundle.

This is just my idle thoughts.

· Registered
507 Posts
I'd probably just paint the front sight with red nail polish; I'm not interested in night sights. I'm more interested in day-time shooting. I'd use a flashlight and point-shooting for night time.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.