Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are brand new in the case. The A2 is $15 more. I really don't need adjustable grips, since the M40 guns I have fit my hand perfectly. And I don't anticipate dropping it into mud, so the increased grip aggressiveness isn't a feature I need. I don't hang flashlights and lasers under my guns so that's not an issue. I'm not a big fan of the new hooked trigger guard, since I don't use that type of grip to shoot with. More and more I am leaning towards the A1 version. Especially now that mags are available again. Can anyone think of a good reason to go with the A2?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The only big difference between the 2 is the actual grip lower which one fits your hand better. on the A2MF there is an improved enlarger extractor and the Breach angle is a little larger for ejection .
After the all the Internals are the same .

·
Registered
833 Posts
O the A2MF gives you slide cut at the front over the A1 . I would say to put both in your hand and pick the 1 that feels better. I have both and I am always switching between the two

·
Registered
207 Posts
Both are brand new in the case. The A2 is $15 more. I really don't need adjustable grips, since the M40 guns I have fit my hand perfectly. And I don't anticipate dropping it into mud, so the increased grip aggressiveness isn't a feature I need. I don't hang flashlights and lasers under my guns so that's not an issue. I'm not a big fan of the new hooked trigger guard, since I don't use that type of grip to shoot with. More and more I am leaning towards the A1 version. Especially now that mags are available again. Can anyone think of a good reason to go with the A2?
Sounds to me like you pretty much answered your own question....The M's you have fit your hand perfectly, you don't need the additional aggressiveness of the grip (which can be added in other ways if need be), You don't use lights/laser (which can actually be put on the A1's if you wanted to) and you don't like the hooked trigger guard.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
My vote is a2. While it has a better grip in my view, that is subjective, the real benefit is my view is the extractor redesign and future mags. The extractor on the A2 was altered and the frame as well to avoid it impacting the frame. The other is mags, a2 mags are easy to find and A1 mags are a bit harder. More worrisome is finding A1 mags for the s series now that it isn’t coming in. I worry it won’t be a focus for Steyr in the years to come. All that said it’s a Steyr vs Steyr, both are good choices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My vote is a2. While it has a better grip in my view, that is subjective, the real benefit is my view is the extractor redesign and future mags. The extractor on the A2 was altered and the frame as well to avoid it impacting the frame. The other is mags, a2 mags are easy to find and A1 mags are a bit harder. More worrisome is finding A1 mags for the s series now that it isn’t coming in. I worry it won’t be a focus for Steyr in the years to come. All that said it’s a Steyr vs Steyr, both are good choices.
Are they not going to make the S series at all?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like the A1 grip.
No decision.
Armalaser on the rail.
If you have an early 40/357, there may be an updated extractor.
And they may wear faster than in the 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
It is the best CCW pistol out there! I love my S9.
I really do not get why they never sold non plugged mags for them. Seems like a easy deal after the ban ended. I like my S9 too. I hope they brining it back and make it competitive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still undecided. Ack! Hard when you have 2 guns that are quite good. :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another quick question: Did Steyr ever offer different factory sights than the trapezoid ones on the A1? I know they were available as an aftermarket purchase, but could you get them factory installed? The ones I am seeing are red dot in front and U-shape on rear like a Glock.

·
Super Moderator
327 Posts
Another quick question: Did Steyr ever offer different factory sights than the trapezoid ones on the A1? I know they were available as an aftermarket purchase, but could you get them factory installed? The ones I am seeing are red dot in front and U-shape on rear like a Glock.
I would be interested in any other info. I have only seen the normal aftermarket trijicon and truglow options, as well as people filing down to get xd sights working on them. I heard but never verified that the Canadian version of Steyr pistol had a different sight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked the seller for info on the box label. I am thinking there should be something about the sights on it. Here are pics of it. Gun is advertised as "New/Old Stock". Not sure how old but it is an M9A1. And I was wrong...2 dot sight on rear.:)
Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Bumper Gadget

Bumper Automotive exterior Office equipment Gas Gadget

·
Registered
33 Posts
No leo S magazines with more capacity?

My M9 magazines say 15, but hold 17.

I recall a C or M cut down to an S variant by an individual.

Steyr the importer offered Truglo Day/Night sights for a time.

Tried to post earlier and it didn't happen ??

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still undecided. Ack! Hard when you have 2 guns that are quite good. :p
One other way to look at it is the A2 will be more readily available in the future then the A1, so if you may be better off buying the A1 now, then purchase an A2 a little down the road.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I finally decided and ordered the A2. If the grips turn out to be too abrasive for my hands, I think I can put a Hogue Handall grip sleeve on it. Pretty sure the Glock version would fit it. I bought an extra mag from Steyr too. So I will have three 17-shots.

I got a weird reply back from the guy selling the A1 when I asked his about the sights. Something to the effect 'if you don't know then I can't help you'. Kind of an attitude. Here is the link to the gun with the 3-dot sights:

The gun is imported by PW Arms of Redmond WA.

Dep

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only big difference between the 2 is the actual grip lower which one fits your hand better. on the A2MF there is an improved enlarger extractor and the Breach angle is a little larger for ejection .
After the all the Internals are the same .
O the A2MF gives you slide cut at the front over the A1 . I would say to put both in your hand and pick the 1 that feels better. I have both and I am always switching between the two
Tn, do you know if doubleclickholsters has or is able to add a forward cant ( or adjustable cant) to the
"SafeCarry Ranger" for the L9 A2 MF? I really like that style, but my preferred 4 o'clock position works better with a forward cant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts