torino 2006 biathalon

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrApathy, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

It has got to be tough having your heart rate up that high and then trying to hit a target even with a .22 caliber long rifle. Still, you'd think the American in the Olympics would be able to pull it off better than that? :?

Maybe the team put alot of stress on the skiing and less so on the shooting?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i hate to take anything from any olympian. and i know nothing of the shooter/skier in question, perhaps every potential to be champion who had a bad day? but, as curiousity, maybe the olympics don't truly draw the creme de la creme.

i remember growing up the olympics were a call to skip any other plan and watch/root for your country. and we had big stars to watch, and then they won!!! the hype is down, and to tell you the truth, i don't think that many americans are really paying attention. so if kids are growing up not paying attention where's the drive to devote years of training to one discipline come from?

just a thought.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I think I recalled that these guys can lower their heart rates pretty rapidly through their training when they are in the shooting phase...........anyone hear that ?????

4. Subcanis

Subcanis New Member

I used to race nordic. I can tell you that Biathalon has got to be one of the hardest events out there. You're out of breath and the heart rate is through the roof. And don't hold too much againt the American. Norway, Finland, etc. always OWN the nordic events.

The most decorated olympian in history: Bjorn Daehlie

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0780525.html

5. Subcanis

Subcanis New Member

Bah. Its one event. Look at Sean White (gold medal, snowboarding), Danny Kaas (silver medal, snowboarding), Apollo, etc... The US took 4 of the 6 medals for mens and womens snowboarding (half-pipe).

We have plenty of athletes that are living up to the hype. Unfortunatly, any of the nordic events have always (and probably will always be) OWNED by the scandinavians. Its a lifestyle for them, its "in their blood".

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

we will always be good at the flashy stuff......snowboarding, tricks, etc. and I think we are getting better at the ski racing, but the boring stuff is owned by the Nords.........When I lived in Minn out my back door was a ski jump ramp..........very odd.....but I can't tell ya that parking lot was packed in the winter.......