Top loads for a Steyr M40

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I'm sorry to bring up this tired-assed question, but what are some top "stopping" loads for an M40 and why?

I have read around a bit, trying to sort out a good load for my M40. I settled on 155 gr Speer Gold Dots. I chose them because the recoil is easier than the 180s I practice with, the Gold Dot bullet is established, and they use no flash powder. That's basically it. I have not shot at night to see what the flash actually is.

I also considered some 135 grain Federal Personal Defense FFMJ ammo, the solid copper over a rubber pellet, MV of 1200 fps, or the 135 gr Hydrashock with same ballistics. My thinking here was to get close to the MV of a 125 gr .357 Mag, but with a bigger cross section and 10 gr heavier bullet.

In my .45 I use 230 gr Golden Sabers. So I'm inconsistant, and use heavy rounds in my .45 while looking at lighter loads in my .40.

Any opinions?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i tried hydra-shoks cause wal-mart had them and they sprayed like a drunk with a cleft pallet. group at 25 yrds ~6"

switched to winchester ranger sxt. 165gr. love them. group nice, no malf's. group at 25 yrds ~ 2"

i notice that in my 40, 165gr are more accurate than 180 gr.

gold dots are a good name and trusted by lots of people. never tried them.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

use what you can shoot accurately.

I like 165-180gr flying 1100-1200fps its got stout recoil.
    but the M40 takes the punishing loads like a Champ.
    have managed to bust locking block pins in a Glock and Sigma with the loads. old single pin locking block glocks in 40sw.
    Golden Saber or Golddot. prefer Golden Saber after testing I have done.

Federal Hydra Shock 135gr I chronod at 1125-1150fps out of my M40. they felt like I was shooting 9mm and the accuracy was great.
    followup shots were nothing.

most of the Hydrashock stuff I have fired tested low in fps. then again in the US we have two lines one for the LE the other for the regular joes.

Velocity is crucial for effectiveness which doesnt translate to higher the speed the better, sometimes higher the speed the more the expansion and less penetration or your bullet shreds into shrapnell, HP could fail to open with too little speed. Golddot has some nice ammo though it can be stout to shoot.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

From what I have heard over recent years the Winchester Ranger T and Speer Gold Dot are top performing self defense loads. Then shoot the weight that is the most accurate in your gun.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Winchester Ranger 180gr. RA40T is my favorite. It's odd that you think the heavier loads pack more perceived recoil - I don't think I've ever heard someone make that claim with the .40. I like the better barrier penetration qualities of the 180gr. and I can't justify the great perceived recoil of the 155-165gr. loads when they are all more or less equal in jello.
    IMHO, the 135gr. loads are just too light for the caliber and also had more umph than the 180gr. offering, so I've never seriously considered it for a carry load.

6. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I have at varying times in 9 and 40 used; hydra-shoks, golden sabers, gold dots, and federal HST's.
    I now only keep the fedeeral HST's in my autos, they have the biggest expansion of any of the major bullets AND more importantly come in boxes of 50 instead of boxes of 20 for the same price online (makes running 100 rounds to test in each gun MUCH easier on the wallet). Never tested any side by side in controlled fire to compare accuracy though.

7. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I'm using Corbon DPX (solid copper Barnes-X hollow-points) when I carry my M40.

Although I haven't done any ballistic tests with the Steyr -- I did do some with the same ammunition through a Kahr PM40. Here's a photo of the results:

[​IMG]

I can only imagine the longer barrel of the M40 will produce even better results.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I am looking at a PM9 or PM40 as a pocket gun, and was figuring on the CorBon DPX as the load, if it fxns well.

What is the recoil and controllability like on the PM40?

I had started off thinking PM40, then moved toward the PM9. Another round in the 9mm, and perhaps easier to hold onto the little gun under hurried, adverse circumstances. I haven't shot either yet, so that's all speculation on my part. I do see more reliability complaints for the PM40 and not the PM9.

Thanks,

Ben

9. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I don't find the PM40 to be difficult to control -- but then I'm not adverse to recoil seeing I have this as my "woods" gun...

[​IMG]

:twisted:

Here is a video clip from when I conducted the "wetpack" ballistic test with the PM40. The bullets were fired in a horizontal line into the test media. You'll get a glimpse of the recoil in the video.

[​IMG]

When I first bought the PM40, I took it to the range to begin the recommended 250-round break-in. I felt the first 10 rounds through the gun were quite respectable, considering the closest target stand at my normal outdoor range is at a 25 yard distance.

[​IMG]

The PM40 rides frequently in my pocket in RJ Hedley leather. He makes all of the holsters for my pocket pistols.

[​IMG]

Either way, I feel confident the PM9 or the PM40 will serve you well as a pocket carry concealed firearm.

Regards.

10. I'm a Big fan of Speer Gold Dot .165 gr. JHP for my M40 for concealed carry and night stand duty. I shoot WWB .165 gr. FMJ for target practice.

11. SELFDEFENSE

My rarely-carried CZ 40B (because I like the 9mm and .45 ACP , not because of the gun) has 180 gr. Winchester Ranger T in it.

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Flyand scuba, thanks for the post, i decided on the PM40.

Fellows, it's swell that you prefer one load or the other. The point is to explain what the thinking is behind selecting a specific load, to evaluate for myself, or for others.

Example: I'm looking at 140 gr CorBon for the lighter recoil, especially in a light gun, and the performance I'm reading about the X-bullet they use.

Best,

Ben

13. SELFDEFENSE

From anecdotal info I have seen, usually the better performing loads in a caliber are the heavier ones (unless your gun especially does not like a particular load). Also, for self-defense it is good to have a load which has a good number of uses, like the Win Ranger T law enforcement rounds or a venerable load like Speer Gold Dot. The latest whiz-bang bullet configuration may not turn out to be as good as it sounds when it gets to real-life usage.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

So I went with the PM40, and shot it today with 160 gr TMJ. The recoil is no big deal. I was worried about it kind of "twisting" in the hand, but it's pretty easy. The muzzle blast is considerable. The trigger is rather nice, and surprises me many time when it breaks on slow careful shots. On snap shots it's an easy short pull.

With its dinky handle, it's not as fun to shoot as a service pistol, but that's not why I bought it.

I'll function test with some CorBon DPX, and then call it a finished.

Thanks for the info.

Ben

15. SELFDEFENSE

Thai
    How did the Corbon test go?
    Interested because I always used to carry Corbon until they had a spate of QC problems a while back (5 years or so ago?).

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Went perfectly, I fired 30 rounds of DPX and another 30 through my M40 ($$$). The PM40 is in my pocket right now, with CorBon DPX. The Kahr is 100%, perfect to date, with maybe 600 rounds of assorted ammo through it, mostly remfg 160 gr tmj.

Ben

17. SELFDEFENSE

Yeah, Corbon has always been ($$$).

18. snort

snort Guest

I've been using Hornady HP/XTP 155 Gr in my .40A1 I load it in front of 8.6 Gr powerpistol with small rifle primer. Accuracy is very good, and the impart on double thick wet phone books is scarry. At 30 yards the bullets don't start to open until approx 1/4 to 3/8 inch. By the 1/2 inch point, it starts to look like a granade went off.. I want to equate that to an organ shread in deer sized game or a man in personal protection mode.

19. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I've never seen any info on exactly how a wet phone book, or water jugs, equate to a model of human performance. I understand the idea behind gelatin. If phone books were good simulations, it sure seems like they would be used professionally, since they have to be cheaper than ballistic gelatin, even with the specifications needed.

I think I did see something about so many water jugs suipposing to equal so many inches of gelatin. Anyon know anything about this?

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

There is usually a correlation between penetration in water and penetration in gel. I believe that you want your bullet to land in the 3rd or 4th jug, but I can't recall the "exact" correlation right now. If nothing else, water does a good job of illustrating how well a JHP may expand and gives you something cool to talk about after the fact. 8)