Too Close For Comfort

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by midtnshooter, Sep 20, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey All,

I had a close call last week, really upsetting. I was driving home from work a couple weeks ago when all h*ll broke loose. I was following this one car about a 20 (rush hour traveling the speed limit/left lane) feet behind. When this second car going about 10-15 mph faster dodged in between me and the other car.

MATH CLASS>>>

Question-

If two vehicles traveling 70 miles an hour twenty feet apart and a third car 17 feet long pulls in between the two cars, How many inches is left over?

Answer-

Too DARN close!

Once the erradic driver forced his vehicle in between us (NO BLINKER), he decides to slam on his brakes. I in turn, honk my horn and said a few choice words. They (two men) both flew the one finger salute and then hit the brakes again. I got out of that situation by getting in the next lane and drove by them. I looked in my rear view watching them ride my bumper. I got off at the next exit to let them drive on. Nope, they wanted to play. I pulled into this truck stop where there would be some personal assistance or at least some witnesses. They circled my stopped vehicle and pulled next to me (about ten feet away) and stopped.

I asked them what in the H*LL WAS THEIR THEIR PROBLEM? For the next 2-3 minutes, we exchanged compliments. Then, the driver did something real stupid. He opened his car door with a hunting knife inverted in his hand. Now this situation didn't get bad, but funny. Over the lip of my door (window was down) peered the business end of my pistol stared him down. Those two guys slammed their doors, screaming, " OH SH*T !!!" They spun their tires and left quicker than when they arrived.

RULE#1) Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

RULE#2) Don't step out of your vehicle looking for a fight. Keep you weapon inside and let's go fist-to-fist.

Now this is a true story that should be sent to the people who are against guns and the rights to own and carry them. I believe I did everything I could have done to prevent and stop a bad situation, not too much or too little.

Wow, huh?

Take Care,
    MTS

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Holy crap! Nice to see you adverted that situation with class and smarts. It's amazing what some people will do when they think they have the upper hand (the knife and you being out numbered.) Glad it didn't escalate to the next level.

-D

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Wow!!!

I am shocked!!!!

TN has a 'Rush Hour'??????

:wink: :wink: :wink:

For Reals,

Glad everything turned out OK for ya....

I can't stand idiots like those that drive that way.....

If you have to slam on the brakes immediately after a lane change then you shouldn't be changing lanes, dumb @zzes!!!!!!!

BTW - In most states, simply presenting your weapon like you did is [sadly] against the law...

:cry: :cry:

But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!!

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It might have been a good idea to call the police and explain what happened to prevent to possibility of those two jackasses calling 911 and saying some guy flashed a gun at them during a traffic confrontation or something. The police would have told you that you never should have stopped with those two idiots following you, you shouldn't have exchanged words with them once stopped, and you should have driven off and called 911 before presenting your pistol. I'm sure they would have made your arrest as difficult as possible had you needed to drop the hammer - at least around here, cops do not seem too keen on the idea of folks defending themselves.

Glad it all turned out OK, and you handled it just fine by my count. 8)

5. midtnshooter

Hey There !

It is very illegal in TN also. I believe, in this case I was in the right. Some people will pull a weapon to send a threat to their victim. For me, there was no threatening. I'm just glad things didn't take a step further. I'm not a police officer, so I am not used to pulling my pistol. I couldn't leave quick enough to prevent this from happening.

It was funny after my heart rate rested. At least IPSC taught me how to control my rate and the situation.

AND YES WE HAVE RUSH HOURS. The farmers create bumper to bumper h*ll on the two lane roads. I hear the state is about to install it's first traffic light in October. :D

Take Care,

MTS

6. midtnshooter

Here in TN it is a pre-req to life. !) Food 2) Water 3) Weapon of choice. Fred Thompson is a big fan also.

Back in '96, I was heading up a senatorial campaign and he was my guest speaker at a fund raiser. We talked for about thirty minutes alone on shooting.

PLEASE VOTE FRED '08

MTS

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Good it turned out well because they sound like they were out looking for a (maybe murder) victim. glad you were carrying.

8. mrboma

mrboma Member

MTS,

Your story brings back some vivid memories of growing up in Southern Cal.
    Anyway, glad to hear all is well.

Now, onto the fun for the day. Not sure if anyone has seen this one but it's good for a few laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWZ7bB7_OEk

Kinda fits the theme of your story. And no, I am not accusing you of driving a Beemer. :D

Mike

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Dang, I'll be in TN Oct 1......guess i'd better be packin................ :shock:

10. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Stupid Redneck Bullies That bout says it all :shock:

I live in TN will be taking my CC class on the 29th can't wait..

I am from MA and all I hear is you an't from round here is ya????

Funny I have lived here 15 years and I am still considered an outsider. Oh well at least I got that going for me :lol: :lol:

Now lots of folks are not rednecks but I do know some that are.

11. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi MTS,

glad you are OK.

guns really are good for more than one thing.

...they can be really useful for discouraging bad behavior.

i realize you were preparing to defend, not brandishing
    but think it is too bad people have to make that distinction given the circumstances.
    have seen more than one situation defused over the years by a timely shot or two in the air.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

And what is wrong with driving BMW's?

13. mrboma

mrboma Member

Babj,

Everyone knows Audi owns that hill - Beemer Boy. :wink:

Mike

14. midtnshooter

I have seen that before. This is great for those who haven't seen it yet.

Thanks Mike,

MTS

15. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Good for you mid.....but should you ever get caught without you gun....a 2 ton vehicle works great too.....

And that was a great video....I was watching it thinking damn....these freakin losers aholes.....this is messed up and then they went down that road and I was like awww man this is messed up....and then surprise.....A HAPPY ENDING!!!! ROTFLMAOPIMP

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Imagine being stupid enough to follow somebody who is leading you up a dead end road. :shock: :p
    BTW, could they be that stupid that they never got a license plate number and called the police?
    Do we smell a rat?

17. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

saw the beemer chase video a while back, figured it for a mildly entertaining fabrication.
    but hey, who knows?