Tomahawks, knives and shotgun

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Laughing_Wolf at Blackfive has some tips for "Preparedness Week: Looking After Yourself" that add a few things after your guns are loaded.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/02/preparedness_we.html#more

[​IMG]

2. mikey

mikey Guest

Though I’ve long had a fascination with primitive weapons, it requires a whole new set of skills to become formidable with something like a tomahawk or a bow. For most of us, I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort required.

A crossbow, on the other hand, aims an shoots just like a rifle. I can’t hit the side of a barn with a conventional bow, but shooting a crossbow is duck soup. Can’t always count on the arrows (or, in the case of crossbows, “bolts”) being reusable, though. Sooner or later, they’ll get lost or broken. And it’s hard to improvise replacements that are anywhere near as good as the modern factory product.

Biggest downside to carrying a sword is that it’s hard to be discrete about it. Carrying a concealed handgun might be a better idea. And, if the situation is grim enough that you don’t care about being discrete, then yes, a short-barreled pump shotgun probably carries at least as much “street cred” as any dammed sword - and, for most of us, it's a much more efficient weapon.

That being said, I’d still love to own a finely-crafted Japanese Katana someday!

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have a tomahawk in my SHTF setup. It is a formidable arms-length weapon.

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I have an 11" blade KaBar mini machete in my backpack. A small machete is better at utility chopping, skinning, and sharpening marshmallow roasting sticks than a hawk, and probably better in a fight, though with slightly less reach. The hammer head of a decent hawk could be useful for many things.

They had to make the blade black. Good luck finding the thing if you look for it in a dark camp. I spray painted mine fluorescent green so it wouldn't vanish. yeah, I know, not too tactical. I'm more concerned about losing it than I am about needing to "ninja" my way up on a sentry.

[​IMG]

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I painted the shiny steel blade of my hawk stove paint matte black so that every time I swung it I didn't send mirror signals to 1,000 satellites above.