To buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by seraphi, Dec 1, 2007.

1. seraphi

seraphi New Member

I have been doing research on pistols for the last 4-5 months to determine what is best for me. I am pretty well set on the Steyr M40-A1

My question now is:
    Should I buy one from CDNN now while they are cheap?
    Or should I wait for the new 08 models?

I have read that the new ones will have a cool new finish on them. Are there any other changes/improvements? Fixes to existing problems? If waiting a few months and paying a bit more means I get a gun that works better and lasts longer, it would seem like this would be a good choice.
    The FTE issue worries me about this purchase too. I need something reliable.

What are your thoughts on these issues?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You should buy now and save the money. I wouldn't hold my breath on the new models - you may end up waiting longer than you think.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The only word that Steyr has put out about the MA1 and SA1 pistols that are promised for arrival here early next year (and even that's unofficial, just responses to inquiries here at SteyrClub) is that the new pistols will have the Mannox finish. No other improvements, changes, et c. have even been hinted at.

And since they promised a new shipment of pistols twice or three times during the current year, I wouldn't bet my life on new ones arriving at any particular time.

Only one thing is for sure. The new pistols will be priced as least as high if not higher than the retail price they were going for before the company changed hands earlier this year, which is about $500.

The change in ownership is what gave CDNN the opportunity to buy most or all of the U.S. inventory of Steyr pistols and rifles at an unknown discount. But it must have been a big one as they're selling $500 pistols for $350.

So you can wait if you want, but about the only thing you can bet on is you'll pay $150+ more and you will probably get the new Mannox finish. Other than that, no improvements are promised. So what's a (maybe) new finish worth to you? I say "maybe" on the Mannox finish because Steyr had made no official promise the new pistols coming into the U.S. will have it. We fully expect them to, but nobody here really knows for sure. Or when.

But if I had an extra $350 right now, I'd be on the phone to CDNN getting one of these bargain MA1s before they're gone. IMHO the Mannox finish may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it won't be worth $150+.

4. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Net is spot on. Get 'em while the gettin' is good. As for the new finish, yes it will be an improvement but you can always get the CDNN/Davidson's MA1 re-finished at a later date. Outfits like Robar do outstanding work.

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

BUY NOW!!!

With the Euro sky high against the dollar, there is no way Steyr can hold the line on the MSRP without taking a bath.

6. nixon

nixon Member

seraphi,
    I expect you to tell us the next time you make your post that you ordered one already. Go for it and get yourself a very nice Christmas present. Ho ho ho !!!!

Nixon,

7. Rick

Rick New Member

Don't know if this any indication of supply, but the Davidson's "sale" ended 11/30/07

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

He who hesitates is lost.

9. The thing that will be resolved with the MA1s coming from Austria will be the mag issue. If you look at the tacked thread in this forum you'll see that they were placing the 10-round springs in some of the high capacity magazines. This was a source of some problems for folks until they tracked it down. So, it really isn't a problem other than the fact that if you purchase a cdnn MA1 you'll have to take down the mags and check your springs. If you need to swap the mag springs out all you have to do is contact the good folks at Steyr Arms.

Other than the mag issue the MA1 will sing like a beautiful woman all day long. It is a very reliable pistol and will eat most of what you feed it. Of course, if you feed it dirty pistol ammo like Wolf or UMC you better clean it and count on a failure after over a hundred rounds, but I feel that is an ammo thing and not a pistol thing. Obviously, a pistol isn't going to be tested with every type of ammo on earth and some ammo is sub-par.

If you feed it decent ammo like WWB or CCI Blazer Brass it will fire all day everyday. I have an M40 and MA1 so I know Steyr pistols and feel really darn confident using the MA1 as my licensed Concealed Pistol.

10. Rick

Rick New Member

Davidson's "sale" it back on through 12/31.

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I just made it then. Finally the moon and the stars were aligned in my favor.

12. seraphi

seraphi New Member

I picked up my M40A1 last night!

13. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

You're doomed. A new addict joins the gang..... :lol: