Tired of Hearing the Steyr Called a Glock

Discussion in 'The Soap Box' started by WirelessG, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WirelessG

WirelessG New Member

It's not a Glock, it's a Steyr. It doesn't have a thumb safety and as far as I am concerned that where the similarities end. The sights, the fit, and the feel are not at all the same. These same people that go on to insist that Steyrs are Glocks tend to go on to say a lot of other stoopid things and they have a lot of other stoopid problems in their life.

My only criticism of Steyr is that they don't produce a larger variety of pistols.

Packy and Michael Dobesch like this.
  2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Now that I own a Steyr and a Glock I can say you are right. Just about everything on my Steyr feels/looks and handles a notch above my G19. I'm not saying the G19 isn't a great weapon. I just think the Steyr is nicer. Both will outlast even the most avid shooter.

Michael Dobesch likes this.

3. deusvult

deusvult New Member

I have had several of my friends make the statement that my Steyr is just another Glock....until they hold it. Once they take it for a spin, most want one of their own.

I remember the very first time I pulled the trigger on a G17 back in 1997. I borrowed it from a friend and took it to the range. First trigger pull was horrible, but I thought, "I'll just have to get used to it." None of the pulls after the first were any better. At that point, I swore to myself that I would never own a striker fired pistol.

Fast forward 15 years. I am standing in Cabela's on a payday (yeah, I know, stoopid) and I see an M9 under the glass. I figure what the hell? Salesman hands it to me and I feel the heft. Get a grip and dry fire. What the hell is wrong with this trigger? It feels GOOD?!?!?!? Rack and dry fire again. I set it back on the counter and look at the salesman. He looks at me, I look at the pistol. I say, "Box it up." For $450, I couldn't pass it up.

Found another one last month at Cabela's for $500 and bought it, too. Hey, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Now it is my carry.

Garatshay and Michael Dobesch like this.
  4. deusvult

deusvult New Member

Woopty dupty

5. jhb

jhb Member

I don't know if that is such a bad thing. Think of sig....geez how may variations can you make of a few pistol models. Sometimes less is more...which is why I like steyr, fnh, etc.

Michael Dobesch and Steyr_40 like this.
  6. Boltnutt

Boltnutt New Member

Steyer is everything Glock wanted to be.

Case and Michael Dobesch like this.
  7. jhb

jhb Member

I'm a weird one. I like glock too. own a couple of them. they did some great stuff early on. one could argue they havent done much since and I wouldnt argue with that myself. one could also argue they get the credit or dislike for changing the direction of metal framed pistols to about obsolete, and many dislike them for that. I dont but I do dislike many models have faded away due to possibly the plastic pistols evolution.

I wish steyr would do more in their pistol line other than frame colors and slightly longer barrels. we get a 5.5" 10mm ster yet?;) been away for awhile doing more shooting than reading and posting.

SurfGent likes this.
  8. LinzTexas

LinzTexas Member

Maybe Steyr is the Austrian HK?
    And if that' s the case, what is the German Glock? :)

jhb and SurfGent like this.
  9. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

Operators business model

10. revjen45

revjen45 Member

I was at a class in which the instructor insisted that I use the safety on my S9. Since I don't have the hand strength in that direction (pushing up with index finger) I borrowed a Glock. I couldn't get through a magazine without a malfunction, and I wasn't limp wristing it.
    Everybody who has held my Steyr has liked how it feels in the hand. I have carried it since '04 (along with other pistols) and still love it.

11. STGirl

STGirl Member

Ive had many folks scratch their head after seeing one of my Steyr's, but never had one call it a Glock.

Michael Dobesch and SurfGent like this.
  12. STGirl

STGirl Member

Ive
    Ive broken several Glocks, and both my and a neighboring agency were caught up in a number of their recalls, including the cracking frames and rails issue. Never again will I own a Glock.

Detonics and Michael Dobesch like this.
  13. revjen45

revjen45 Member

I never have owned a Glock.

14. Michael Dobesch

Michael Dobesch Member

Before I bought my L9-A1, I tried it out vs. several Glocks. All of the Glocks felt like a foreign object in my hand, while the Steyr felt like „melting“ into my hand. After several hundred rounds without any malfunctions or other problems I‘m still very happy with my choice! Due to the Austrian law I‘m on the moment only allowed to have two guns, so my second one is a Manurhin MR 88 with 3 „Zoll“ barrel, chambered in .38 Spec. and with a Trausch rubber-grip.

15. revjen45

revjen45 Member

Glock = Bubits 1.0 - 1.4
    Steyr = Bubits 2.0 - 2.4
    Caracal = Bubits 3.0 - 3.?

BYW, I would love to own a Manhurin.

SurfGent and Michael Dobesch like this.
  16. Detonics

Detonics New Member

o_O Glock ? Isn't that Austrian for Hi-Point :rolleyes:

Packy, Michael Dobesch and SurfGent like this.
  17. SurfGent

Lol

18. Packy

Packy Member

I have two Blocks and neither has ANY features to brag about. I wanted to play with a long barrel in 45 Super and it was the "cheap" way to do so. I changed the barrel, spring and guide rod, and some small stuff. It was successful in a Block way. It can not in any way be called a Steyr. Is there a Steyr 45 ACP available??? My carry guns are 1911s in 45 and most of my hunting handguns are in a form of 45. ACP, LC or other. I carried a 40 cal for business but if allowed by the agency I would have used the 21 instead of the Block 22. I have a 9MM Hi-power, but the power level seems sick compared with the 45. 230 gr to 250 gr has more stuff than 115 to 147 gr HPs. Ramble Over. Packy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    SurfGent likes this.
  19. SurfGent

My 10mm is a glock. Bought it for the same reason. Was the cheapest reasonably quality 10mm. Aftermarket parts and upgrades are cheap and plentiful as well

20. Packy

Packy Member

SurfGent I went to a Dasan 9" 45 ACP barrel. Then changed all the other necessary stuff to keep the 45 Super from battering my Block to pieces. But when I'm tired of it who knows? Detonics is right. Glock is the Austrian Hi-Point. Packy