time to build an AR!

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by smores, Jun 27, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

Ok, I've got 2 setups I'm looking at. The only differences are, the first setup uses a RRA complete CAR A4 upper kit, with DPMS lower parts - and the other uses all RRA except for a DPMS stripped lower. The only difference there is that the RRA trigger is a 2-stage match trigger. Also, the complete rifle kit has the barrel cut for the M203, which I highly doubt I will ever own. Please feel free to give any advice!

1.1:
    $495 - RRA CAR A4 Upper Half (chrome-lined 5.56 NATO)
    $ 94 - DPMS Forged Stripped Lower (compare to $125 reg. price)
    $ 50 - DPMS Buttstock/buffer/spring Assy.
    $ 75 - DPMS or AR-Stoner A2 Detachable Carry Handle (compare to $95 and $80 respectively. There's a difference in the height of the sight I think)
    $ 48 - DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit (compare to $57 reg. price)
    $762 Semitotal (+ transfer fees and shipping)

[​IMG]

$680 - RRA Complete CAR A4 Kit - including match 2-stage trigger
    $ 94 - DPMS Stripped Forged Lower
    $ 75 - DPMS or AR-Stoner A2 Detachable Carry Handle
    $849 Semitotal (+ transfer fees and shipping)

[​IMG]

Now, the only questions I have on these setups are:

A: What's the difference between the DPMS and AR-Stoner Carry handles? It looks like the AR-Stoner would be the correct one, as long as the front sight from RRA is mil-spec
    links:
    DPMS - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=372401
    AR-Stoner - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=474785

2. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I wouldn't consider that a "build", but ok call it what you will.

While the RRA NM trigger will reduce the trigger pull, there are some that have had issues with the NM trigger. I person would buy a tuned RRA NM for WOA or you can buy the JP spring kit for under $10 and it will also reduce your trigger pull.

Many AR vendors do not make their own products...they outsource like many companies do this day and age. Only a hand ful of companies can truly say they make their own upper and lower receivers.

Do you need a carrying handle? If not, save your money on more ammo and mags. I find the carrying handle to be pretty useless this day and age. Even when I served in the Army, we never used the carrying handle. Go with the flat top and be done with it. If you need iron sights...get some BUIS that fold.

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

+1 on the carry handle. Just get in the way of reflex sights. I went with a chrome lined complete upper from eagle arms, which is made by armalite. I would go 16" 1:9, like you have. I think the A4 model has a flat top front gas block also, so you dont have that iron sight sticking up if you dont want to (I have flip ups). You can get a lower parts kit and stripped lower and put it together yourself, its pretty easy. I would get the M4 stock, its my favorite, but YMMV. Also, You can tune the stock trigger down to about 4 lbs with very little creep, and still have it drop safe, if you know what you are doing. Thats what I did.

Oh yeah and you can make your own tac-sling for about 10 bucks too.

[​IMG]

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Rice, if you like the 6pos stock...you will LOVE the Magpul CTR stock. It is be far the best multi position stock that I have ever handled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

It looks cool, but to tell you the truth, my AR is more my zombie gun. Its fun to shoot when I just need to vent, I just tear into the target with 30 rounds of hate. but it doesnt feel like a "gun". I jsut keep it oiled, let the g/f shoot it. Its not my "baby". My baby is my .308 savage, thats the gun I really put my love into.

But a cool stock anyway :p