Time for shooting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Buzz, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

How do you set aside time for shooting. I'm having a very difficult time getting to the range. Do you have a set day or time that you go? How do you wall off all of the things that can come up to screw the pooch?

For me it's an hour each way to my range in the north Georgia Mountains so a quick trip is out of the question. I'm not a fan of shooting indoors and this is the closest outdoor range for me. It's also a very nice facility. I plan to go every Saturday or Sunday but by the time Thursday rolls a round my plans are shot. Is there some trick to setting aside some time and preserving it?

I'm starting to get really frustrated.

Buzz

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Ummm. Last time I went it had been 9 months. So I dont know the trick. I guess just make yourself an appointment.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Make plans to go with others - it's real easy to break a "range appointment" with yourself, but others tend to not let you off so easy...

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Capital idea! Now that I think about it the last time that I went I was meeting someone there.

Thanks!

Buzz

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I didn't even have your excuse since I have a quality outdoor range 15 minutes from my house. Still I didn't go often as it seemed every weekend something else came up.

Then my son came up with the bright idea of fixing up a rough and ready range behind his house. Just a target stand of some treated lumber slapped together, leaning up against an old shed. And it's 45 minutes from my house, but I go there a lot more often than I go to the nicer "official" range because I get to shoot with my son and grandson.

Syntax hit the nail on the head. It's the people who you relate to and with that give you the motivation to go shooting often.

Plus it helps when your grandson calls you up on Saturday morning wanting to know when you're coming over with your guns. :mrgreen:

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If you can get there early on a Saturday or Sunday before the chores or other demands get you, you might be able to get some shooting done on a monthly basis or thereabouts.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Part of the problem has also been the heat. I'm very leary about shooting when it is 100 degrees or in the high 90's which has been for most of the last month. I bring plenty of water to the range but a kind of fatigue can set in. Plus, the pool in the back yard starts to look pretty good.

Once this heat breaks it will help as well. It was 102 here yesterday 25 miles north of downtown Atlanta. I can only imagine what its like for our troops in Iraq.

Buzz