Thx Steyr Forum - 2nd range session

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mike_hk2ksk, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

I just want to really thank you all for great advice on Steyr. If you remember 2-3 weeks ago I was debating what to choose for my 1st 40SW handgun. Persuaded by your advice I ordered an M40A1.

My 1st try at the range was not that encouraging. The best I could do was 6 to 8” spreads at 10 yards. The trigger had some kind of a step feel at the and of the pull and I just couldn’t handle it. The gun jerked in my hand – nothing I could do about – because of that step…. I shot 150 rounds – had 1 FTE.

Yesterday I went to a local store and purchased that Hogue grip you guys were talking about. It improved the overall feel and also positioned my trigger finger just right on the trigger. I cleaned the gun and went to the range this morning, anxious to give it a second try. Whether it was an extra cleaning or the grip or both – I can’t tell, but this session went completely different. That step/jerk feel is completely gone. Trigger is smooth and predictable. Recoil is minimal. I shot 200 rounds - no malfunctions.

Here is my best set of 20 rounds at 10 yards. Sorry poor quality picture – shot it on my phone camera. I don’t think I can best this with my entirely familiar 9mm guns.

Thanks again all!

[​IMG]

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Very nice shooting! It seems the M40A1 is really working out for you!

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Excellent, especially for your second outing. I think the Steyr is the best .40 I have shot because of the way it handles the spiky recoil.

4. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Man, my 15 year old son was with me at the range this morn. He usually shoots 9mm. Seeing my excitement he tried Steyr - 50 rounds - stationary. Nice tight patterns. Awsome. When I asked, he said he didn't notice much difference in recoil, which is amazing. My 9mm HK has recoil-supressing technology - so I would expect him to see some difference. On the way back, in the car, he said his shoulder was slighly sore though.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The recoil buffer in the USP(c) and P2K(sk) series do very little IMHO to reduce recoil. And the 9mm P2KSK is significantly smaller than the M40A1, which I believe counts for a lot. I would expect comparable recoil from the two pistols, especially given the right target/defense loads...

6. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I had problems with my first 100 rounds, 40 % never made it on the paper. Sent it down to SAI and they fixed it up pretty good. I used Remington UMC 180 gr the first 100 rounds and won't use that again. Have put 300 rounds of WWB 165 gr through it and that made a big improvement, but not getting the kind of grouping your showing. What ammo are you using?

Andy

7. mike_hk2ksk

mike_hk2ksk New Member

Mostly I also used WWB 165 gr. But also 180gr Remington JHP just to see any difference. All from walmart. I didn't notice any.

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

where ever you buy your targets your getting ripped off they are missing the x ring or did you get a good deal on some lightly used targets?
    :wink:
    nice shooting