Threaded barrel extension for M9A1 ...

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by TGO45, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Hi all. I've got a G17 with Gemtech and wanted to do the same with a Steyr M9A1 but the cost and wait for a threaded barrel from US or Austria is pretty high/long. I thought of having an extension made for the Steyr much like the Walther P22 and contacted Hi-Desertdog who were more than helpful. They will thread the existing barrel and make a threaded extension for just over $70 including return shipping. They can also make a (thin - admittedly it has to be so) thread protector collar for the original barrel. My physics is pretty rusty now but I can't see the non-threaded extension affecting bullet stability and hence causing supressor damage but would appreciate any input on this Q&D solution to getting a threaded barrel onto a Steyr. I am not too worried about voiding warranty so that isn't an issue. Question is can any can guys out there see it as a 'bad' solution. For $74 I can't really find a drawback to having it done ... IF it will work (even if it needed a bit of blue on the threads) and I can't see why it wouldn't . Or am I going blind :)

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hmmmm......

I thought the proper way to thread a barrel was BEFORE it was hardened......

I cannot imagine one being threaded AFTER would be nearly as durable....

I say drop the loot and get the threaded barrel made correctly the first time....

:wink: :wink:

But, who am I to say?

:roll: :roll:

Keep us informed [with photos] either way!!!

8) 8)

3. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Thanks for the input bab.

As I understand the metallurgical principles involved, if a barrrel (or any metal part) is case hardened (nitrided or such) then threading, grinding, filing or otherwise messing with it afterwards would indeed be detemental to the integrity of the piece. However I believe that barrels like many other gun parts are through hardened which should mean that any work done to them subsequent to their being manufactured will have no ill effects since the steel is virtually of a consistent hardness and toughness all the way through.

I would also consider the parallel situation of sharpening a quality heat treated blade (say one that's also been cryogenically treated too) ... it can be sharpened without creating a 'soft' steel edge since the blade steel is homogenous, and we all have to sharpen knives yes?

It'd be nice to drop the loot but we're talking about five times the cost and a fairly long wait, so why not innovate? The end result may not be original equipment but if it does the same job ......

Besides, I think that a bit of custom work and innovation is part of the enjoyment of gun ownership and I've done a fair bit of work on various guns including 1911's when material (as you know) has to be removed and never suffered any ill-effects but ended up with something uniquely mine. I honestly doubt that the various smiths that do custom work and remove/work on a fair amount of metal on the gun (ejection ports, sight slots, extractors, barrels and bushings etcetera) need to re-heat-treat the parts they've worked on ... but that's just my opinion .. and you know what they say about the value of free opinions :)

Any other thoughts and comments welcomed ... and anyways bab ... great minds discuss ideas yes?

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

TGO45,

Yes Indeed!!!

:wink: :wink:

I am very interested in knowing how your experiment turns out, as I noted, so do keep us informed!!!

As for knife Sharpening.....

I have some of these.

8) 8) 8)