thought i would try out a cz style handgun...but why?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by doctordoctor, Jun 22, 2013.

1. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

I was turned onto cz from this forum and ended up buying a canik shark-c from buds in od green. I heard they are better quality than some of the cz's. Anyhow I am pleased with it and have already upgraded the springs on it trying to improve the double and single action trigger pull. Which leads me to the reason for this post... I can't believe the amount of money you have to spend to get a decent trigger on a cz style handgun... what a waste. I pulled out my steyr and just smiled and said all I did was add some big taco love and this gun is light years ahead of any cz. I also played with my xd's with PRP triggers... they are so much better than double action triggers why would anyone prefer a cz over a steyr or polymer gun?

2. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

CZs have been designed to be as ergonomically perfect as possible, once you pick one up, you will realize that it does fit you hand vey well, that factor is a draw. Quality is another, the Czechs make quality products, even during the ComBloc days, they had their own standards, and actually refused to make the traditional soviet weapons, they had their own ideas, and made better stuff. I have had several CZ pistols over the years, the trigger pulls on the actual CZ line was better than most, especially in single action, they can also be converted to SA only, they are very durable, and they are incredibly accurate. Styer is the best polymer framed pistol, but the CZ are tops for steel/alloy fames.

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

+1 to what he said. If you're going to complain about a CZ, at least try a CZ, not a clone. Buy a CZ from CZCustom in Mesa, AZ, stay away from clones.

4. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

I like Steyr but I love my CZ pistols. It does not cost a lot to have as fine of a trigger on a CZ as any other gun. My CZs are the most accurate pistols I own and so far have never failed to chamber, fire, and properly eject a round. The 75 series is truly in the top 5 handguns ever made IMO.

LinzTexas likes this.
  5. jhb

jhb Member

I got a handful of czs. 75ss, 85 combat, 82, just added a p07. In single action the triggers on mine are pretty good. Only thing I could see someone not liking would be the take up. Haven't owned a clone yet. I don't see the big advantage with allot of them as czs are still comptitive in price. Meaning the base models aren't hk level pricing.

6. nickyill

nickyill New Member

....happy with my CZ P-07 Duty...all the "better than/competition" chatter is a waste really anyway....fun to have different guns that look and feel different.

7. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I will say that working on the Steyr is a lot simpler than working on the 75B. Lots of little, spring loaded parts on the latter. The feeling of getting to a 3# trigger pull, kind of took that pain away. Being able to shoot a 10" group at 35 yards really took it away! I'd show a picture, but I was shooting steels - a 10" plate, with five dings! I love shooting steel!

Yes, I'm shooting competition sights, 1mm red fiber in front, black notch in the rear. In low light, indexing the taclight on my neck causes the fiber to pop, so I don't miss having truglo, or trijicon.

8. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

True, I was just let down. Unlike getting my Steyr... It was better than I built it up to be!

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I don't know a lot about CZ clones like the Canik (although I did have a Jericho) but for the $489 that I recently paid for my CZ75 BD Police it's hard to beat owning the real McCoy. And while the DA trigger could be better I have never considered it a hindrance for my CZ Phantom which is extremely accurate. The trigger and decocker break in very nicely with use. I have not seen any need to upgrade the pistol.

10. stvan

stvan New Member

Why would you buy a gun then spend money on a trigger job unless you are shooting competition. If you don't like the trigger don't buy it. I have three CZs, a Steyr M40A1, a Walther PPQ, and many more guns. The Steyr and Walther have the lightest trigger and shortest resets out of the box. The CZs I carry more often cause I like the decocker with da/SA, initial DA does not hinder me in the least, just train for it. The trigger is excellent and has a relatively short reset. JMHO.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

LinzTexas likes this.
  11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Why would you buy a gun which needed a trigger job?

Weeelllll, my wife wanted to get a revolver. I got her a .357 S&W Model 627. It's 8 rounds with a 4" barrel, but when she pulled the trigger, the barrel moved. Since she's torn ligaments in her hands, she has trouble with a strong trigger pull. I pulled it apart, got the Wolff springs for it, and did 90% of a Jerry Miculek trigger job. It's about 4.5 pounds DA, just think it SA. Had I had the money, I'd have sent it to the S&W Performance Center and had it done for $150. As it was, I spent $50 for the JM video, and the set of stones. I learned a lot too. YMMV

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Back in the day they used to be dirt cheap. I got my 40B for $240 at a gun show