Third range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bmitchell, Aug 10, 2007.

1. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

Another range trip has brought my piece to a total of 668 rounds fired, by my count.
    This trip yielded three failures to eject, at different times throughout, all probably due to operator malfunction.
    My last trip I had two extraction (not ejection) failures. I cleaned the extractor out and there were no more failures of this type.
    The three ejection failures I had today were likely due to my poor grip (despite the very comfortable Hogue). I think if I were holding better they would not have happened.

I am still not used to the traps. It seems like I am still having to line them up weird before I hit where I aim. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
    I tried out some Shoot-N-C targets and I like them a lot.

I think it is time I got BT to hook me up with a stainless guide rod.

That is all.

Ben

2. West01

West01 New Member

Howdi bmitchell,

Just curious, what type of ammo did you use this time?

Thanks.

:D

West01

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

If you are going to use the gun for defense, I would not chalk it up to pilot error quite yet. You need to get a stretch of shooting where it is fully reliable.

4. steyrile

steyrile Member

THAT'S a very good point!
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

5. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

All the ammo I have used so far has been: 50 rounds of CCI Bronze, 65 rounds of unmarked ammo that my roommate gave me (came in a ziplock bag with the Beretta from his dad), and about 553 Winchester White Box (I'm not sure how that 3 got in there).
    I'm going to have to go for another 200-300 on monday. As far as using this gun for self defense, IF someone were to break into my home, which is highly unlikely considering this neighborhood, AND they were intent on hurting me or anyone else here, then I would feel comfortable using a firearm, but I would probably go for my shotgun. As far as penetration goes, does anyone know how 9mm does through plaster?
    At this point, I do not have a carry permit, and even if I did I rarely go anywhere but work, which is a school.I would feel it is reliable enough for practical use if it goes smoothly all the way through. I love this gun and I am more than willing to get more ammo cycled through. Its reliability now sits around 99.25% so I am pretty happy about it.

Would it be remiss of me to think that I should be able to use cheap ammo reliably?

On a side note, I slammed the mag home a couple of times and got the slide to release, but one time I did this it closed before chambering a round, so I had to cycle it again.
    I just remembered I forgot to even look at my mags, much less to clean them, when I got home. Got to get it done.

That is all.

Ben

6. steyrile

steyrile Member

Ben, It's curious you'd have three FTE's on your third range session netting three extra shells.
    There's more at play here than mere coincidence!
    :twisted:
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

7. The next time you purchase ammuntion I would spend your money on WWB. I always suggest WWB for the initial break-in period of up to around 500 rounds.

8. rhino216

rhino216 Guest

:D The more I handle and use my M9 the more I like it. Much more than my G-Lock I used on duty. It just seems handier or something....ergonomics are really good. I wish Steyr would do some better advertising with the Gun rags and get the real story out there.It seems to take a lickin' and keeps on tickin'...kinda like us Old Range Dogs.

9. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

I do love to fire this gun. WWB is my choice for now, and I'll go once more for a couple hundred rounds (hopefully with better wrist action) before I send my guide rod to BT.

That is all.

Ben

10. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

WWB will often have 101 rounds in the loose packed 100 rnd box. :D

I'd go with the above advice and not consider your A1 ready for SD until it's gone a few hundred rounds W/O a hiccup.

11. seangod

seangod Guest

fte

i am new to steyr and guns in general.i own a m9a1 and was constantly having failures to eject. cleaned the extractor same problem.after that range session took the mags apart and cleaned them really well and sprayed them down with remoil.going on 500 rounds with no cleaning and no fte. thought i'd share

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...you WON'T be disappointed!!!!

:D

13. bmitchell

bmitchell Premium Member

Went back to the range on Monday and got 199 through with one stovepipe early on. Interesting that it happened almost as soon as I dropped my support hand. Kept it on the rest of the time with no problems. Anyway, I'm going to send my rod in as soon as I get off of the overtime schedule at work. I plan on putting a massive number of bullets through once that happens.

I'll try cleaning my mags out too.

I have been looking at other pistols but I just can't seem to look at them the same way anymore.

That is all.
    Ben

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"I have been looking at other pistols but I just can't seem to look at them the same way anymore." :lol:
    Yes, when you have felt the smooth refinement of the Steyr most of the others seem more clunky than they did before.

15. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Ditto that, Ive gone from pistol noob to pistol snob in a big hurry.