Thinking of getting an SSG04

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by DoctorW, May 15, 2013.

1. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

I am thinking of getting a precision rifle in 308Win.
    I looked through SSG69, SSG04, CZ750, TRG22, FN A3G, and even Blazer Tac2.
    I found that CZ750 and SSG04 are probably best choices for me.

But I heard that SSG04 stock is not good. Some guys even reported cracked stock.

I know that McMillan makes stocks for SSG04, for a very high price (about $800)

But I never saw a picture of any SSG04 with McMillan stock. Anybody saw one?

BTW, is it really necessary to change the factory stock?

Thanks.

2. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

BTW, I would be very happy to hear you guys opinion of my choice between the candidates listed above.

3. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

I would be happy enough with any on your list, but am uncertain about the CZ (never heard much about it).
    I have a SSG 04 and the only problem I can find with the stock is a little too much flex in the fore-end for my taste.
    It doesn't seem to affect accuracy even shooting off the bipod, though. I've never heard of a stock breaking - sounds like extreme treatment for a precision rifle to me.
    I have seen an SSG69 in a McMillan stock - looked very good, but have not seen the SSG04 Mac stock in the flesh.

4. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The CZ 750 is an excellent choice if you don't pick the Steyr. Just like Steyr, CZ has been building quality weapons for decades. Note that the 750 comes with a mirage shield and muzzle brake, so these pieces don't need to be purchased. Either way you go, you'll love shooting the weapon.

5. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

Thank you guys, for your opinions.

I think SSG04 comes with muzzle break, right?
    Is the muzzle break easily removable, or should I ask gunsmith, if I want to remove it?

6. DoctorW

DoctorW New Member

BTW, it seems that a local gunsmith cannot change a barrel for SSG04.
    In case I need to change the barrel, I have to send it back to Steyr.
    Anybody has any idea about how much that will cost?

Thanks.

7. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

The muzzle brake is easy to remove - just remember to "tighten up" the locking nut before you try to undo the brake. Thread size on mine is 18mm x 1.
    I have no idea about costs to re-barrel - suspect it won't be cheap!!

8. skunkkiller

skunkkiller New Member

The TRG 22 is also a fine rifle by anyone's standards. My partner owns a TRG 22, a TRG 42 in 300 WM and a TRG 42 in 338 LP. I have fired all three and with great handloads I shoot the TRG's at a .5 MOA plate at 500 yards very consistently which really means it's a 1/4 MOA gun since you have a 1/4 MOA from the center in each direction and your doing it consistently. You'd not go wrong with any of them. I happen to be a Steyr guy. I'd steer you to the Steyr but that's just me. It will shoot just as great as the SAKO but you'll be much cooler while doing it.
    When you get up into the price range of these rifles, they are all great. It's really a matter of personal preference. An old rule of thumb is that you'll spend a grand to shoot less than 1 MOA, two grand for 1/2 MOA and 3+ grand for less than 1/2. Then other features like muzzle breaks, bi-pods, folding stocks, etc. all add even more costs. The SSG-08 is easily a grand higher than the TRG 22 but the TRG doesn't come with a muzzle break or a bi-pod. The SSG 08 does. Sako charges about $500 plus for their very nice bi-pod (one of the best Ive ever used) and nearly $200 for their muzzle break (also very nice).

Then you have your die hard Savage accu-trigger fans who can't imagine paying a few thousand for a Steyr or Sako, Blaser or AI. Those guys never will get it because their not going to ever handle or fire one. Yes those rifles perform but they will not hold up. They are also not consistent and their barrels wont hold up like a hammer forged barrel does. While those guys complain that a Steyr has to be sent back to the factory for a new barrel, when have you known someone to re-barrel a Steyr or Sako? Hammer forged barrels simply hold up longer and will gain the average shooter about 15% more longer life. They are also way more rigid and will shoot more consistently with cold or hot barrels.

When your buying something expensive, do it once. Don't waste your money buying something when you know you wont be happy with it long term. Buy what you want first and be happy forever. Or else, you will experiment and trade and experiment more until you could have purchased what you wanted three times and wasted alot of time. Save a little longer and buy the gun you want.