Thinking about IPSC...

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Big Rick, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

There is an Izaak Walton League chapter near me and I am considering joining and I noticed poking around on their website that they have monthly IPSC matches. I guess my question is what suggestions do you have for someone who has never done any competition shooting? I haven't been a pistol owner for very long...what sort of equipment should I look into? I have my M40-A1 (which I still have yet to shoot) and my M9-A1 are there any pros/cons for one vs the other? What are the best ways to practice? I would like to be able to get everything together, figure out the game, and get out on the course and not look like a fool. All helpful information is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Rndm

Rndm New Member

am about in the same boat as you are.

Just starting out in some IPSC in the area, no idea where to start, I do have some "equipment" but other than that no experience shooting matches etc.

I would use the M9 for starters if your going to shoot anything, start out in production for sure. If you want to start loading your own rounds, then you might be able to switch to the m40, but the 9mm will have more rounds (better, race gunning... ) and have less recoil for faster followup shots etc.

Overall, do what I did, go to a match. Don't shoot. Just watch and talk to the people taking part in the match. Ask questions and watch what goes on.

After that a Good retention holster, mag holders, and gun belt. Custom Carry Concepts 'big taco' is a good setup for the Steyr.

Main thing I realized is that you've just got to shoot a match or 5 to figure out what you like and tend to do. What you need to fix and work on etc. Nothing is going to stress you as much as a match. If you can get someone to watch you that can give feedback on what your doing right/wrong as far as loading, shooting, etc.

Of course I've just gotten past the 'observing' stage of this. Bought a CZ 75B to start playing with for competition, a blade tech holster, and two sets of millennium mag holders (blade tech injection molded mag holders) and lots of ammo to start figuring the pistol out.

:D

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the hardest part is actually going to the first match. maybe don't even take your gun, but hey... take it! you might have fun.

it's nice if you know someone to go with the first time. or try and find a buddy when you get there.

there's a lot of little rules. the most important one for the first timer is that the gun and the ammo must be in separate bags. range bag for gun and plastic shopping bag for ammo is fine.

also, as a courtesy to others, always keep an empty magwell so everyone knows you're unloaded.

to compete in ipsc, a minimum of 5 magazines is required. they can be 10 rounders if you're shooting production, which i'd recommend.

you'll need 4 of the mags on your belt and one in your pocket. two double mag pouches work well, but thaiboxer and i prefer a quad pouch that keeps them all near your hip bone.

the best practice is dry fire. just do some drawing, some reloading and some malfunction drills.

the shooting won't be tough, the course will be. there's no good way to prepare for your very first time shooting a course.

just explain to the RO that you're a newbie and they'll pay special attention to you. ask questions if anything seems weird. everyone has a first day in ipsc and people are generally eager to help new comers.

you'll probably get failure to engage, failure to neutralize, no shoot penalties and steel still standing... this is all perfectly fine. just don't get DQ'd.

4. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

For me, I started shooting targets, then got the itch to learn tactical. I went to one tactical night and then heard about IPDA.

Time passed, and I hit www.brianenos.com, bought Steve Anderson's book on Repetition and Refinement. Joined USPSA, and started practicing.

A lot of video watching, booked marked Matt Burkett's website with dry fire drills. http://www.mattburkett.com/flashfiles/dryfire.html

This is a good way to start, then just have fun.

5. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member

any matches in houston?

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

A few things:

The Big Taco rig is not a Production or IDPA holster, it is a "race holster". About any belt holster will be fine, but an open top Kydex or plastic holster is the norm.

I agree that 4 mags on belt and 1 in pocket as the starter mag is ample for USPSA/IPSC.

Start with Production class, which is intended as a class for "real guns, not race guns". Either 9mm or .40 pistol is fine for Production. Take whichever you shoot best, and have enough mags for, it's cheaper to shoot 9mm. The only other class that Steyrs fit well in is Limited-10, where the .40 will be rewarded in the scoring for "being more powerful".

If it was me, I'd call ahead, get the scoop for newbies, and then do whatever they want newbies to do. Then I'd go to the match as a participant, have fun, and ask lots of questions and get lots of opinions and advice. I'd plan to walk calmly and hit everything I aimed at, and not care a whit about time or hurry. Nearly everyone who likes pistol shooting has a great time doing this.

7. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Sorry to say, no. I joined the ALSPPC - Austin Lone Star Practical Pistol Club to do IPSC. They shoot at the Fayette County Gun Club (in LaGrange - home of the World Famous Chicken Ranch) the second Sat. of each month, and the last Sunday of the Month they have a Steel Match. On the 31st of Jan, they are going to hold a 3-Gun Match. I'm going to go to watch, it should be fun. Come on out.

The setup for IPSC starts at 8 AM on the Sat shoots. Hammer drops starting at 10AM.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

Does that mean they can be up to 10 rounds? or can be less?

What kind of stuff would get you DQd?

9. Rndm

Rndm New Member

10. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member

didnt think so. ive been looking with no luck. i dont get it. ill check out alsppc. la grange is a nice drive.

11. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

There are 4 clubs in Houston listed on IDPA's club board. Steyrs are perfect IDPA guns. Some other clubs listed may be in the "greater Houston area", I don't know the area.
    http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=TX

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

13. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

In USPSA Production, you can load your mags up to 10 rounds, less if you want. In IDPA, the limit for SSP or ESP is 10, and all mags must be loaded to their maximum capacity, up to 10.

Most common is bringing the muzzle past the "180*", which means breaking parallel with the area behind the shooting line. In other words, getting sloppy with muzzle control. Also, an inadvertant discharge into the ground less than 6 feet in front of you. Repeated sloppy trigger finger while moving could do it, but I've not seen anyone DQ'd for that yet.

Usually it is 180, and I've been warned that I was close a few times (in IDPA, not IPSC). I've also warned others. Crowding barriers and then having to maneuver the pistol around something is a common way to get sloppy with muzzle control (esp. in IDPA).

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Also, don't step out of any box before you have completed a string and don't cover parts of your body with the muzzle while you are on the move.

15. Flexmoney

Flexmoney New Member

Heeey...In know those guys. I just popped in here...this is my first post.

I'm the forum administrator on the Brian Enos Forums. Steve Anderson is one of my best friends. I'm the Ohio Section Coordinator for USPSA.

I'll subscribe to this thread. As long as I get notices I'll try to answer any questions that anybody has.

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Hello Kyle, what are you doing in these parts? Steyr owner? I've been doing L10 and Production, IDPA and steel with mine.

I know that Flexmoney is an excellent shooter, M-class in a couple I imagine, & very knowledgeable on competition shooting. It's cool to have him here.

17. Flexmoney

Flexmoney New Member

I'm just sneaking around...trying to increase my knowledge base. I had a couple of brain cells that weren't busy. :)

18. Flexmoney

Flexmoney New Member

IPSC is the international organization.

USPSA is the branch of IPSC here in the states.

The rules are similar, but slightly different. You will want to check the USPSA site when looking at the rules: http://www.uspsa.org/