think this is retribution for the Rifle sales to Iran

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by RangerM9, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

Anyone think that Steyr's problems result from their sniper rifle sales to Iran?...i recall there were some sanctions place on them afterward, i'm sure that has contributed their probs with BATF.

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

I'm sure it didn't help (one of the reasons I ordered an HS50 -- it is the terrible terrorist rifle). However, Steyr has had poor success with handguns as long as the company has been in business (look on GB.com at some of the early vintage models -- no wonder they didn't catch on).

They've also had poor marketing efforts and high turnover in distributorships in the last decade.

Though it would be easy to blame the Iranian deal (as horrible as it was - although the Germans and French have been selling stuff to terrorists for ages), I think the problems are more global. It doesn't sound like they are doing well in Europe either -- fighting off receivership...

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

If Steyr had customs problems getting product either for sale or for the SHOT show in THAT would be because of the Rifles to Iran thing.

Everything else has been Steyr's piss poor marketing and complete lack of understanding of the American market.

4. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

i meant the customs problems.....and the shot show probs.....sounds like they just cannot get any cooperation form the BATF lately

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

marketing cost money and they did do marketing nice ads. what they needed were more reps going around showing off the product with cases of ammo. it all cost money seems steyr has none now and is struggling to keep open.

6. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

right but imagine the profit they would have had if there had been no roadblocks to the US made AUG....

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

huh? :-s

outside of cost,land,building and atf manufacture paperwork its fairly simple. tooling up takes time so does stock supply chain of metals.
    sounded like they were working on a domestic aug. now someone else is making the domestic Aug. hope they do well and buy the tooling and patents for the domestic MA1
    time and tooling is pretty costly.

8. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

I thought they were having issues getting permission to make the AUG in the US.....but that another company was going to make the US AUG....hense why i thought they were getting BATF shafted....

i am probably mistaken though......i have not been following the discussion as closely as many.....

been spending most of my time ofer on Saiga forum lately....