The Rodney Dangerfield of guns?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Buzz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

It seems to me that that Steyr pistols get little or no respect. While in the grocery store waiting for the butcher to grind some veal I took a look through the various gun magazine annual editions where they list the guns. In three of them the Steyr was completely absent. And then when I went to one local gun shop and asked about a Steyr I was directed to the rifle rack and received a blank stare when I mentioned the pistol. When I talk guns with friends some know of the GB but when I mention the M and S series I may as well be talking about the back side of the moon.

Why is this. Is it inadequate marketing/availablity? I must admit that in one gun mag I saw a Burma Shave style ad for the M-A1 with three adds every other page for six pages.

Is it because the gun is perpetually in the shadow of the Glock?

Is it because the gun is so different looking? Heck, I think that they're the coolest looking gun in existence. It looks like something out of Bladerunner, Robocop or a Frank Miller story, definitely a gun of the future.

Or is it because there are no .45 caliber guns wich turns off the US market?

Or a combination of all of the above. Truth is whether the gun is respected or not I've got mine and am happy as can be, but I'm just curious.

Buzz

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

all of the above

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'd also point out that I'm concerned about all of this because the future of Steyr in the US will definitely affect availablity, service, parts availablity, value and a whole host of other things. I think that most of us have bought these guns to own them in the long term and it is important that SAI be there in the long term.

Buzz

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

dont believe Steyr is hurting for sales.

Galleryofguns is showing nearly zero steyr's left
    they did have some 40-50 S9A1's and same for MA1 40 and 9mm

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm okay with cult-status. 8)

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

if sai left, i would learn how to make investment mold castings to supplement the parts you can't machine from bar. just to keep my steyr shooting!!!

steyr's catching on though. can't wait to see what's next.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I like the cult status also! And, it is indeed catching on. I just got back from picking up a "new" first generation M9 and my dealer, who is contantly talking with Steyr, also thinks that it is catching on. But one thing is for sure, from everything that I've been told, SAI is in this for the long haul.

BTW, my $299 M9 turns out to be a demo gun, and it is barely touched. I'm one happy camper.

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Cult of Excellence, Air of Exclusivity.

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Another thing, and I know that there's an ass for every saddle, but it amazes me that people find these guns to be ugly. Even if I wasn't very familiar with Steyr from my GB I would have been drawn to the M and M-A1, at least initially, by their looks alone. To me it is the most futuristic yet menacing guns that I've seen. I'm amazed that hollywood hasn't caught on to Steyrs.

Buzz

10. SELFDEFENSE

Yes, way better looking than others like Glock, with the possible exception of the Beretta 92.

11. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I just spent some time at Glock Talk among the Steyr threads (and there are a ton of them) and one thing seems clear to me. The major resistance to the Steyr is the issue of service and parts. Almost every time someone who owns both a Steyr and a Glock is asked to make a recommendation the Steyr is clearly the preferred gun on the merits of the guns alone, but when service and parts are considered and factored into the equation the Glock gets the nod.

Seems to me the ball is in Steyr USA's court, and from what I've seen so far they are making the right moves.

Buzz

12. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

+1

IMO Steyr is probably the best looking plastic gun out there; much better looking then Glock or XD. (FN pistols look pretty hot too).

But for looks I find metal (esp stainless) guns generally look better IMO; next to my 92FS Inox M9-A1 doesn’t look as good... 8-O

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I really like the looks of the 92/Two. The Beretta Storm grabs me also, which along with the raves is why I bought one.

I think for the Steyr my hope is that the guns become popular enough to keep Steyr USA happy and healthy enough to flourish and invest in new offerings without becoming flavor of the month. There is something nice about having something uncommon and a bit exclusive.

Buzz

14. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

Well said Buzz! I'm with you on not having a pistol everyone has. I owned five Glocks, two Springfield XDs, and 3 Sigs and the popularity of the gun is one of the biggest reason why they all cost more then the Steyr M-series pistols. The Steyr pistols are just as good or even better in some aspects then the the big boys I mentioned above. I've always been one to be different and not be the "Blind" follower like alot of pistol people I know (although I am very addicted to Glock pistols also). To me the design is very unique and it is one of the most comfortable pistols I have ever held. I like my first Steyr (M357-A1) so much, I'm going to put a M9-A1 on layaway at the end of this month. I don't mind seeing Steyr in the mainstream of pistols, but I hope it doesn't jack up the prices.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin :p

15. spokes

spokes New Member

When I went to my dealer to buy my M357-A1 he told me Steyr was no longer in business. I went onto the Internet and got a new one from Wolverene for $470.+$20 for shipping. The same dealer I originally went to charged me $40 for transfer. I said to him see they still are in business.
    He said I know and he pulled out a Star to show me. DUHHHHHHH

16. SELFDEFENSE

"When I went to my dealer...." This guy is a blackjack dealer, a used car dealer, a crack dealer? Surely not a gun dealer.

17. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

no suprise a dealer would mistake someone saying Steyr for Star.
    Star was a manufacture out of Spain that went out of business few years back. made some nice designs too.

18. spokes

spokes New Member

This was the same "GUN" dealer that insisted Steyr was no longer in business and could not get me the M357-A1 I wanted .
    :lol:

19. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

Steyr does have a long line of very intereupred history service / parts / distribution. They have gone through multiple 3rd party companies for all three of these, sometimes w/ sizeable gaps.
    The new service center in Georgia though, the fact that they are now buying ad space in the gun rags, and fixing/replacing even old guns that were bought used shows how serious they are getting. Still despite this the gun has been growing in popularity and awareness at an increasing rate.

20. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yup, just saw another ad, this one a full page one, the "draw it and you'll be drawn to it" one. There's no doubt Steyr has gotten serious about about the US market.

Buzz