The return of Cornbread2

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Zundfolge, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

looks like Cornbread2 is trolling over on the Glock Talk Steyr forum ... I was going to recommend we not feed the troll.

I started to respond to his first post he made but edited it out (and asked EddieC to close it)...I need to be strong and fight the urge to respond to his latest stupidity.

EDIT
    Dagnabit ... I couldn't help myself.

/me hangs head in shame :oops:

2. Ripped

Ripped New Member

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo.. LOL nawt again..

3. steyrile

steyrile Member

I'm a newby here and happened on a thread on the glock/steyr board regarding cornbread2. Like I say, I'm a newby and have not been privy to all that has made this man's obvious bad rep.
    I found some of his comments on the design of the Steyr re-set action and lack of a firing pin block to be thought provoking and well reasoned. I love my M9 and the built in safeties and other's opinions are not going to change how I feel about this gun's shooting and ergonomics (they're great!) but they may bring some functional weakness to my attention which I'll consider and work around or disgard as not applicable.
    Perhaps I'll take some flak for this but my little exposure to cornbread2 was not at all unpleasant. Please, I implore you, do not give my contact info to cornbread2 since indeed, he may best be taken in small doses, same as I.
    Lance

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i really go out of my way not to talk smack on people. this is purely selfish in that i hope people don't talk smack on me but...

the big problems with cornbread are

1) he can't spell steyr or straight (which tells me all i need to know!!)

2) he's an intolerably rude person.

3) if you showed him a paper plate and said, "this is a paper plate." he'd go out of his way to offer any explaination/description of the object before him to deny that it was in fact a paper plate.

furthermore... if you look in the tutorials section, under "how it works" you'll see the answers to all the questions.

the steyr IS double action. when the pistol is at rest, the firing pin spring pushes the post forward. this is the let off from 100% to 72%. during initial trigger take-up, the trigger bar contacts the bottom of the sear, then the sear travels rearward, which pushes the firing pin rearward (the definition of double action), cocking the striker from an at rest 72% to it's full 100%. the post stops its rearward travel when it runs into pin #14. at this point, the sear falls off of the post, bang. there is an excellent series of pictures decribing the sear falling off the post in the tutorials section.

the steyr does not have a plastic frame as cornbread says. it has a steel sub-frame into which all the mechanical pieces tie. it is possible to squeeze, bend or distort this frame, but it would require focused intent.

IF the sear were to fail, the striker (which is only cocked to 72% when at rest) is insufficient to detonate a primer. this being the case, sear failure resulting in firing pin motion towards the primer will not detonate primer, gun doesn't go bang, don't need firing pin block, case closed.

i've been thinking about machining a sub-frame assembly out of clear plastic specifically so that it is possible to see everything.

you can see a lot of how this works if you assemble your gun without the grip. (described in the tutorials section) look under the sear and watch the post move forward. what causes the post to move forward? hmmm, let's see... could it be the firing pin? holy crap... it is. well wait a minute, if the firing pin moves forward, then it stands to reason that it will move rearward before it fires.

the key part that cornbread doesn't understand is the part where the firing pin moves forward and pushes the post (part # 11) forward. he assumes that the post is always resting against pin #14 when the gun is cocked which is not the case. again, easily discernable with the gun assembled sans grip.

as for going full auto... my s40 was a consistent double tapper. one trigger pull=two rounds down range. i fixed it and i know what causes it. it has nothing to do with any firing pin block. a firing pin block is deactivated when the trigger is depressed. when that weapon discharges, cycles and comes back into battery, the trigger is still depressed. therefore, a firing pin block would not have stopped my s40 from double tapping.

if cornbread really wanted to start some crap, i could send him a polished up glock trigger bar that'll g18 all over a range ceiling no matter WHAT firingpin block it has. because the trigger is still depressed as the gun cycles, thereby defeating the firing block safety.

but to tell him this would be beyond HIS unfortunately small mental capabilities, and if the light bulb did go off in his head where he actually understood that he was totally wrong all the time and that steyr (who is in the gun manufacturing business by the way) knew what they were doing, he'd spin it around (and be rude doing it) such that the argument was really about the price of rice in china the whole time and WE were too dumb to realize it.

HE SUCKS and i won't dignify his question with MY thoroughly articulate, well thought out, point by point, all the fine print covered, undeniably complete explaination, because he doesn't deserve the bandwidth to even be a part of this great place we call the internet!!!!!

but if you guys want to start a little peeing contest, i'm willing to jump in the ditch with this guy ONE time.

5. hedrok

hedrok Member

What I'm not really sure of, Bigtaco is......How do you REALLY feel???
    8-O 8-O By the way, I have almost no knowledge about the internal
    workings of these very nice Steyrs......but I do have a LOT of knowledge about people.....and you are + 10,000 on the rude behavior of your friend, Wholewheat ? or Italian white? what's his name? How quickly we
    SHOULD forget. Thanks for the passion.....and the tech help.

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes New Member

Double action single action, who cares?! It goes boom when I pull the trigger. It shoots straight. It feels and shoots good. Who the hell cares what kind of action it goes through. I think he's just looking for problems. Well, my gun shoots fine, and has no problems, so he can just piss off. :mrgreen:

7. steyrile

steyrile Member

Thanks for the explanation and tutorial bigtaco.
    I now understand why I mustn't feed this particular troll.
    Won't happen again.
    All the best,
    Lance

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

He did bring up some good points, however once someone (namely Twoblink and tetchaje in the original TFL debates) stripped down a couple of Steyrs and proved by way of facts that he was either wrong or at least overblowing a nonproblem he simply responded with insults and refused to engage in debate (while of course accusing anyone who disagreed with him of being idiots).

His thesis is a only little off, but his delivery is impossible ... you can't have a reasoned debate over facts with the man as his only retort seems to be "if you can't see that I'm right regardless of the facts than you are an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun, let alone carry one".

I'm still waiting for both of my Steyrs (which are loaded and chambered 24/7 ... one is a house gun the other a carry piece) to start shooting on their own.

9. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

I won't reply to any of his posts, regardless of how inaccurate they are. I will not get drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

10. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

the real tragedy here is now I won't enjoy going to work tommorrow and snacking on a piece of cornbread... :cry:
    I probably still will do it, but I shan't enjoy it nearly as much :wink:

11. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

BTW, I thought this guy and his IP adress were banned from something like a dozen different gun forums 8-O

12. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Yup, I think your right about that FlaChef this guy is banned on a number of other forums. I've seen some forums just go nuts trying to deal with this cornbread fella.

I'm all for positive and negative observations about the Steyr...BRING IT ON! Its one of the best pistols on the market today and hard to beat. However, it could get really old, really fast dealing with someone who just wants to argue non-stop and in the process could give newbies bad information.

So, I'm glad Cornbread isn't in the Steyr Brotherhood.

Safe Shooting.

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i just have to point it out because it's so ridiculously funny...

we're totally having the last laugh on this guy cause we're tearing him one here and tearing him one there. and he's banned through his own doing and therefore thoroughly unable to respond. i love it.

and you KNOW he watches this sight salivating!!! hahahahahahahahaha

he wins the shouting contest, but mr a's little experiment proves well enough to me that even in the event of complete sear/firing pin tang failure, the gun will not fire. jury's still out on federal primers, what a great time to upgrade to gold dots or rangers!!!

this was one of the assumptions i operated under when doing the tutorials and it was so satisfying to me personally to see that steyr really did do their homework.

14. theFiasco

theFiasco New Member

MrApathy,

Nice testing!

Be safe,

-tF

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

frisbee test... sweet!!!

killer!!!!

unless i'm completely off my rocker didn't glock fail a frisbee test in the early nineties? hmmm, glock, WITH the very device cornbread claims to be the be all end all of gun safeness, still failed the frisbee test?

funny...none of my single action rifles or shotguns have firing pin plunger safeties, they never seem to AD. that the steyr is only cocked to 72% just makes it even more safe.

bottom line, even if the sear disintegrates into a million tiny pieces, there is not enough force to detonate a primer. case closed.

thank you mr. apathy!! you still rock, not that you took a hiatus from rocking, just wanted to let you know that you still rock!

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that was basically the nature of my involuntary double taps.

the sear was being held down by a groove that had developed in the face of the post. as the slide came into battery there was no sear to catch the tang on the firing pin. the firing pin was free to hit the primer with velocity developed while coming into battery. with independence ammo, the result was another discharge. with all other ammo brands it merely resulted in the trigger not resetting.

so we're back to primer softness being the critical issue.

if you wanted to replicate that experience, you could use a dremel with a cut off wheel to put a groove in the face of your post. this would hold the sear down. be careful chambering a round though. you could get a slam fire if you cut a good deep groove.

or, much more simply, as i think about it more...

you could take all of the sear mechanism out. just put the slide on the frame. insert a mag with one round. (maybe one of those plastic bullet jobbies) pull the slide back and let 'er rip. it would be roughly the same velocity coming into battery. i suspect you'll find that some soft primers light up while harder ones don't.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Cornbread not just for supper anymore

As much as that little **** bugs me I have to admire his persistance.

He has been railing on Steyr pistols for years. I don't know why he is so adament about it, but he really wants to convince the world that they are unsafe. I am sure Deluxe has banned him from posting here, but I am sure he still lurks around. (**waves at Corny**)

Here is a shout out to my buddy Cornbread, keep up the good work in your quest!!!

Just remember we could tell Cornbread that the sky is blue and he would argue for the rest of the day.