The price of an unused GB magazine.

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, May 6, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Okay, this may be utter insanity, but for me the price of an unused Steyr GB magazine was $220. Crazy maybe, but I'm okay with it (really, I am :roll: )

I happen tho think that overall the GB is one of the finest firearms ever produced. Never mind that I predict that someday they will be worth their weight in gold. Selling my first one back in the mid-Nineties was a grand mistake that I rectified back in February (and posted about). As anyone knows magazines for the guns are one of the most rare items in the modern gun world. The gun came with two mags but usually are sold these days with one as the seller probably sold the extra off knowing that they typically go for between $150 and $175. One reason that I sold my orginal GB (only came with one mag) was that I could never find more mags and two is a dead minimum to me to have a gum. I bought my GB back in February, (a hardly fired piece) inexpensively enough to plan on the addition of at least two mags within my original budget. It wasn't until this week that a magazine became available, on Gunbroker.com. I had set a limit of $175, but one other buyer wanted it pretty badly as well. Add to that the magazine is unused, which is quite unusual. There were no aftermaket mags for the GB, so you either buy another gun for the mag or you pay what it takes. Results for searches for a Stery GB magazine on the Net are always accompanied the letters "WTB".

So, this probably makes me a certified Steyr nut, but I'm okay with that. Really, I am :shock:

Seriously. Just fine. No problema......I did what????!!!!

Question. The one that came with the gun is mint. The one that I just bought is "unused". I must assume that I won't find a third. Do I use the one that I have and store away the new one, or use both? I tend towards storing away the used one.

Opinions (other than as to my sanity) on this question would be appreciated.

Buzz

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Correction, I tend towards storing away the new one and using the old one.

Buzz

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Buzz!

Yep, me too. I was watching that mag to as it went up, and up, and up in price. :shock: If I could get a GB in California I'd have been bidding on that too. 8) Even though it was pricey, it was still a score! :wink:

_______
    mugdava

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

holy crap... i thought HK and SIG mags got pricey.

you guys truly are STEYRNUTS!!!!

on the other hand, the same $220 will barely make one month of payment on a civic, but think of the collectible nature of the piece. justifiable.

at that price, and neither of them being abused previously, i'd be forced to make the whole she-bang a safe-queen.

to quote spinal tap, "no, no... don't touch it. DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT."

that mag may go to 11.

$1100 in your lifetime. hahahaha

if you gotta shoot it, definitely keep the new mag new. so... good plan.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The amazing thing is that this was the first GB mag that I've seen offered since December from before I even bought the gun. I searched online weekly and had folks and dealers across the country looking for me at gun shows. Nada, zip, nothing. My top bid was actually $275 but I figured for more than that I could just buy a more heavily used GB with two mags for just over $500 and use the second one for parts. But, I know that wouldn't work as I'd just double the number of mags that I have budgeted and be in a worse mess having both guns running.

The thing is that I still haven't shot the GB yet despite the fact that I took delivery of it in February. I really don't like shooting indoors and here in north Georgia I knew of no outdoor ranges. I have since found one 53 miles north of here in the mountains that is an incredibly nice Department of Natural Resources facility that is 100% free. I can shoot there all year long. I'll be warming up the GB this weekend if they are finished building the rangemasters platform that they are adding. Gotta love Georgia, an incredibly pro-shooting state. Here shooting leagues are as common as bowling leagues in the North.

If I can score one more mag I'll be comfortable.

Buzz

6. 8472

8472 New Member

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Re: Gb Mags

Yes, that was actually an excellent price. While the military model is listed in the blue books as less valuable than the commercial model, it's actually much more rare representing only 5% to 10% of GB production. Some have noted feeding problems with the military models. I had no such problems with my first GB which was a military model, In fact, with thousands of rounds fired there was never one single problem. The only problem was magazine availability.

The military model in that auction looks to be in nice shape. That phosphate finish, that I quite liked, doesn't seem to be as durable as the blued/crinkle finish of the commercial model. My preference was to own a military model (identical except for finish) but now that I have the commercial model I think I'd give that finish the slight edge. The fact that the auction gun has the original two mags and the box and cleaning tools certainly adds to value. Again, a more than fair price whjich could have been a couple hundred dollars higher, all things considered.

Buzz