The Hogue Handall is inferior to the Hogue tool grip

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ThaiBoxer, Dec 15, 2006.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The "hump" on my M40 bothers me, and if I grip it so the hump doesn't bother me, then I can't reliably disengage the safety with the stubby fingers on my average hands.

So I bought a Hogue Handall in the hopes of softening the "point". It's a little loose, and it shifts a bit. I tried spray adhesive on the M40 grip under the Handall, and that helped a bit, but not enough. I've seen others say the same about a Handall on their Steyr. I was unsatisfied with the Handall.

Then I read syntax360's post about how he noticed that the Sioux Tools grip for motor handles was the same as the Handall, and he "ordered a handful from Sioux Tools at $7.44 (part number 68340)."

He's wrong, and I'm glad of it. The grip from Sioux Tools is made by Hogue, and looks similar to the Handall, but it's smaller, has a different shape, has bumps and no smooth area on the backstrap, and it fits much tighter. It doesn't wiggle or have a loose spot above the "hump". It doesn't need to be trimmed at the bottom. It's better than the Handall on a Steyr.

It also doesn't have "hollows" under the finger ridges for the Steyr's single ridge t poke into, but that doesn't seem to matter. Mine rides a bit below the peak of the Steyr's finger ridge, which suits me fine and gives my middle finger enough space.

It is very tight going on, more than the Handall, and so it's hard to put on using fingers. It is easy to put on using a popsicle stick, alternating from the backstrap to the frontstrap. Use the popsicle stick as a "flat surface area extender", with your fingers supporting the stick. Dig it under the Hogue and over the Steyr grip, and support the stick with your fingers as you lift the Hogue up. You basically "seesaw" the grip up the front and back edges. If you try to pry with the stick it will break, especially if your son just finished the popsicle it came in, as mine did.

A tongue depressor stick would probably also work, maybe a flat screw driver would too, as long as you don't screw up and poke a hole through the Hogue.

Here is the pic syntax360 posted. I noticed that it was different than the Handall. You will too, if you look close enough:

[​IMG]

I was going to take the grip off and post pics of it next to my trimmed Handall, but I'm lazy and feel that my work is done. Use this info as you see fit, and may the Force be with you.

Thanks Derek,

Ben

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Is that an A1? If so, it has a safety?

Thanks for the tip on the grips. They look perfect for a good grip. Hogues can be loose on many guns.

Buzz

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

^ In the picture it's M-A1 but it's not boxers gun...

can you post a link of where to buy Sioux Tools grip? How close does it look to the one the picture?

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It looks the same on my gun as the pic, his is an M9A1 I think, mine is an M40. Fits tight, baby. I don't know about ordering from Sioux Tools. I did Google their number, but I contacted syntax360 first, and we made a friendly trade.

HTH,

Ben

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Tight I know! I put Handsall on a USP and by the time that I got them on my hands were aching from the effort!

Buzz

6. theFiasco

theFiasco Guest

All,

The first guy I ran into that had an M40 was a firearms instructor and a private detective. He modified the grip on his gun. He took a couple of files to the plastic and just removed enough to satisfy his grip.

His M40 looked OK and shot well. He had also modified the grip on his Glocks to suit his hands. Not sure how this would be received if someone wanted to sell the gun but this guy kept all of his firearms that worked well.

-tF

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Manufacturers are starting to get wise to the grip thing by including removable backstraps so they can widen the audience for their guns, rather than going with one compromise grip ergonomics. Hope Steyr does that if they come out with a .45. However, skateboard tape is all I needed for my M9.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Glad to hear you like it!

As far as obtaining one from Sioux, I'm not sure if they will sell to the general public or not. They are owned by Snap-On, and I know Snap-On sells to Joe Q. Public, but Sioux could be different. If they do, I seem to recall the list price being something like $12.49 for the grip, so I'd expect to pay something around that.

If anyone else is interested, let me know - I'll charge cost + price of stamps for any steyroid in need. :D

9. FightDesigner

FightDesigner Member

I'd be interested in giving it a try. I tried a Hogue (or comparable- can't remember) gun grip sleeve once, but it just felt too cushy and wobbly, and I think it was effecting my aim a bit in that it squished around a little when I squeezed... maybe it was just my imagination, but it seemed a bit too rubbery. Got skate tape on there now, but I'd love something a little more ergonomic. Swapping moulded rubber grips out for the rectangular slabs on my Browning Buckmark just made all the difference in the world...