The Good the Bad and the Ugly / M and S series ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Deluxe247, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ThorInc

ThorInc New Member

1. Hornady Critical Defense
    2. 9mm 115gr FTX
    3. Target
    4. Excellent
    5. Extremely well made but expensive

1. Speer Lawman
    2. 9mm 115gr TMJ RN
    3. Target
    4. Very Good
    5. Clean, well made

1. Speer Lawman
    2. 9mm 124gr TMJ RN
    3. Target
    4. Excellent
    5. Clean & accurate

1. American Eagle
    2. 9mm 124gr FMJ RN
    3. Target
    4. Very good
    5. Expensive

1. American Eagle
    2. 9mm 147gr TMJ
    3. Target
    4. Excellent
    5. Most accurate load for me and would be my choice for usage

1. Wolf Factory Reloads
    2. 9mm 135gr lead RN, brass
    3. Target
    4. Very good
    5. Reasonably priced and very accurate, smoked alot

1. CCI/ Blazer Brass
    2. 9mm 124gr FMJ
    3. Target
    4. Very good
    5. Best bang for your buck

2. Samson

Samson New Member

3. Samson

Samson New Member

I've now shot about 600 rounds of Blazer Brass through my M9-A1 with zero issues. This is going to be my permanent go to ammo.

1. CCI/ Blazer Brass
    2. 9mm 124gr FMJ
    3. Target
    4. Excellent
    5. Reliable, accurate, readily available at bulk prices.

4. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Strictly M and S series or can I chime in with data from an L9-A1?

5. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

Well I'm going for it then. ;)

Data taken from Ballistics 101 and 10mm Guns web sites.

What has and has not worked in my L9-A1

What works:

Federal Champion
    Burgundy box
    9mm 115 gr FMJ RN
    Target
    356 ft/lbs muzzle 1180 ft/sec velocity
    First ammo I tried and has worked flawlessly.

Aguila Blue Box
    9mm 124 gr FMJ
    Target
    341 ft/lbs muzzle 1126 ft/sec velocity
    This stuff has some bang and worked flawlessly.

Tula Brass Maxx White Box
    9mm 115 gr FMJ
    Target
    Made in Italy on the box. Most seem to feel it’s coming from Fiocchi.
    Mfr data says 338 ft/lbs muzzle and 1150 ft/sec velocity
    Independent testing found 360 ft/lbs muzzle and average 1187.5 ft/sec velocity
    Another test 409 ft/lbs and 1260.33 ft/sec velocity average.
    When I shot it no question it had some bang to it. Worked flawlessly.

Ammo that has not worked.

Aguila Red Box
    9mm 115 gr FMJ
    Target
    Mfr data claims 399 ft/lbs muzzle 1250 ft/sec velocity
    Independent testing site saw 323 ft/lbs muzzle and 1124.5 ft/sec velocity
    I bought the ammo because I saw it listed as 399 ft/lbs and had most rounds fail to cycle the slide properly.
    My own opinion is that the mfr's specs for this ammo are not correct.

Remington UMC
    Green box
    9mm 115 gr FMJ
    Target
    329 ft/lbs muzzle 1135 ft/sec velocity

This is the second brand I tried and right from the beginning it gave me trouble and I could tell it didn’t have as much snot as the Federal Champion.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

CCI Blazer 124 gr FMJ and Winchester White Box 115 gr FMJ from Wally World in 100 round value pack both get the L9 seal of approval.

7. groundhog

groundhog New Member

My two cents worth - M9A1

Handloads - mixed brass

WSP primers
    115 gr. plated
    4.5 gr. Winchester 231

WSP primers
    115 gr. plated
    7.0 gr. Accurate #7

WSP primers
    115 gr. plated
    4.9 gr. Winchester AutoComp

As with any handload use a reputable source for load data and do not exceed published max charges.

8. lurkerwisp

lurkerwisp New Member

1. Brand: Winchester 124 grain FMJ
    2. Caliber: 9mm NATO
    3. Application: Target/Competition
    4. Rating: Excellent
    5. General thoughts: Though it's a little on the less cheap end of things, this is my go-to ammo for my older S9. Even when running dirty it functions beautifully. It's also noticeably snappier, so it mimics the +Ps I use as a self defense load better than most target ammunition. My range buddies do notice that it is also louder, so if that's a concern for you it's probably not the best choice.

1. Brand: Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ
    2. Caliber: 9mm Luger
    3. Application: Target
    4. Rating: Bad
    5. General thoughts: I might have gotten a bad batch, but not only did this have feeding problems in both my S9 and my M9-A1, but it couldn't even load the Glock 19's mags to capacity and caused malfunctions even in that trash compactor of a gun. The brass was very clearly out of spec, and I'd not buy it again unless I was going to buy some toast on which to spread all that jam.

1. Brand: IMI 115 grain FMJ
    2. Caliber: 9mm Luger
    3. Application: Target
    4. Rating: Excellent
    5. General thoughts: Hard to find, but runs great in the M9-A1. I've not tried it in the S9, but that's because I went through the entire case in the M9-A1 and my M&P before remembering that I should try it in my carry gun too. IMI also makes a 124 grain that I want to try in the S9, but I've not tried it yet.

1. Brand: Speer Gold Dot 124 grain GDHP +P
    2. Caliber: 9mm Luger+P
    3. Application: Defense
    4. Rating: Good
    5. General thoughts: Feeds well in the S9 if it's clean. Ejection issues occur if at all dirty. This is what I carry in the S9.

9. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

I don't know why but really had high hopes for Fiocchi made in Italy and I finally found a box of 115 gr FMJ and tried it today. 3 failure to feed and 1 failure to eject within a single 15 round magazine. So disappointing.

MFR states Muzzle Velocity 1250 fps Muzzle Energy 400 ft/lbs
    Independant testing from the folks at 10mm guns has it at 1139-1150 FPS and 338 ft/lbs

Except for the mfrs mark on the casing it looks identical to the Tulammo BrassMaxx that has the made in Italy on the boxes (said to be made by Fiocchi) and 15 rounds of the BrassMaxx put through right afterward functioned flawlessly in the same magazine.

Fiocchi_115gr.jpg

10. schgsd

schgsd Active Member

I will probably start to run some factory ammo through the chrony as a baseline to see if I can detect anything concrete with ammo that does and does not cycle.

Today I had 4 rounds left over of Blazer Brass 115gr fps 1087/1120/1107/1122

11. scottyd3892

scottyd3892 Member

Very nice thread.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  12. scottyd3892

scottyd3892 Member

I bought a box of 50 40s&w Tulammo made in Russia steel case 180 grain for my m40 3 out of the 50 failed. One got stuck in the chamber. I had to pry out the barrel with a screwdriver cause the slide wouldn't come back. That shell was wedged in there lol. I was upset

13. Mike4895

Mike4895 New Member

In England we tend to reload our own ammunition, my own personal choice is the 7x57 round sometime also called the 275 Rigby. I notice that you people make quite a bit of noise about personal protection. Having once been a pistol owner here in the UK, no longer I'm afraid, I was lucky enough to own some great American guns: S&W, Colt, to name but two. My feeling was that for sheer accuracy the 357 Magnum S&W 686 could not be beaten. In terms of personal defence the shock of a 145grn lead bullet and the accuracy combined make this a hard combination to beat. The P08 Luger round, 9mm, is not personally my first choice, however at longer ranges with the right pistol it is unsurpassed. I have seen a 9mm luger artillery model shot very accurately out to three hundred yards with its shoulder stock attached. The Steyr pistols were something of a step to far for me, the combination of polymer and steel was not something that appealed. so I have never fired one. Having said that, Steyr pistols are the bread and butter pistols of the policing world, which must say something about there performance and reliability. As for 9mm self defence rounds I would not stray far from the military spec. In a pistol that cycles so quickly you could literally put 15 rounds in the air at once from the Steyr as long as you had practiced and were accurate these must surely do the job.