The Glock Pignose?

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Talyn, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Talyn

Talyn New Member

http://youtu.be/bPBZiZaJDP4

Now, I'm not a glock hater,... Okay, I sort of am. But.

Uhm.

WTF?

The barell heats up the plastic and the @#*($#@ gun melts and deforms?

And people are touting glock like its the be all end of all guns, and just 50 rounds will melt the lower and deform it?

This guy has a great channel by the way, great great sense of humor.

2. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

The pig nose is relatively uncommon and doesn't affect function in any way. His does seem oddly susceptible to warping though for some reason....?

3. jhb

jhb Member

the pig nose is very common on glocks. my 19 has it. every store i went to in my area regardless of which glock model and which generation, about 85% had the pig nose. has no effect on function though.

4. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I find it funny though, people talk about how great glocks are and jerk the guns off all day long, but they have this problem, which while it doesn't effect function, it is an inherent issue if you ask me.

I've never heard about it up till i've seen this video I posted.
    My 20 doesn't have it, and it used to be a service pistol.

5. jhb

jhb Member

it comes from the factory that way or doesn't.

if i remember right, and this may have changed for a couple years back when this was the rumor floating on various gun forums....it had something to do with removing the frame from the mold before the nylon had cooled and set or something to that effect.....mind you this was what folks were saying....whether it was true or not? only glock knows.

the glockaneers sure get angry with this term. i think it's funny, and it does look like a pigs mouth and snout. i like my 19 with pig nose and it doesn't bother me in the least. if i remember right the m&p at this time.....was called the "droop," cause it tended to curve downward a bit.

steyr is above them all, no pig nose or drooping rail syndrome.;)

6. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Makes sense if it's coming that way from the factory, aka poor quality control. Which is odd cause Glock is a good company.

But the fact it does it from shooting a lot is what cracks me up.
    But from what I've found out, not all the glocks will do it either from shooting.

7. jhb

jhb Member

likely due to volume/demand. selling those guns cheap to the police to dominate the american market isn't an easy task to keep up with. even s&w is something like, as i am typing this post, 400 million bucks in orders backlogged in just consumer products.

you could look at it that way, poor quality control...... or could just take it as glock sees no issue. so it's a non-issue. i choose to look at the pignose that way, myself. love my pignosed 19. not as much as my caracal f or steyr c9, but it has it's place in my use.

i could be wrong, and it won't be the first or last time, but some try to fix the pignose by doing boiling water, heat, or hair dryers, etc. i believe this might temporarily fix it, but it might return to be a pignose as it was from the factory. this is all by memory, so take what i am saying with a handful of grains of salt.

can't say i'd ever seen a pignose that turned into one and didn't come that way from the factory from use/firing? sure there might be some, but all i've seen came pignosed from the factory, not were straight and became pignosed from use. mind you, Sir, i am not a glock expert, so i could be talking all kinds of nonsense....

Also the frame will hold up to shooting heat. Plenty of 3000+ round torture tests where the guide rod melted but the frame did fine. So its not the shooting that causes it. Pretty sure it comes from the factory that way or not. Glock still makes good stuff, at least in 9mm.;) although some think in other calibers as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  8. manatarms242

manatarms242 New Member

I have owned several Glock models and the question of the hog nose/pig nose has cum up several times. The gentlemen at GHOST INC. (If your looking for custom glock parts this is the guy) who has been on a factory tour informed me that when the frames come out of the mold they are dumped into a cooling bath the ones that float to the top do not cool evenly and hence get tweaked.
    I have observed that all calibers have this. Which makes you think that ma by they are supposed to all be pig nosed and the ones that don't have it are wrong.
    Also I believe this is a plus and keeps dirt/sand out of the dust cover (there is a video where someone actually cut the front rail off the frame and it functions fine just to prove that the hog nose has no effect on anything other than aesthetics) (Glock will start making made in USA models soon!!! I'm sure good old US quality control can work this bug out if its a bug at all)

Talyn likes this.
  9. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Thanks for the info.
    US Quality control will drive the price of them up, not that they are cheap now.

I love the realistic prices of the Steyr and Caracal products.

10. jhb

jhb Member

about time an expert stepped in....thank you Sir. good info, appreciated.

made in the usa, coming up....huh. interesting, not sure i am looking forward to that....have to think about it. guess it doesn't matter as long as they keep making the 19 and 17 pistols as good as they have always been.

Talyn likes this.
  11. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I really need to try something other than my 20.
    This thing is a big brick. I feel I'd be more successful using it as a club than a firearm.

12. manatarms242

manatarms242 New Member

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438930

Here is the thread on the USA Glocks.. There seems to be a lot of debate about them..

I don't much care where its made I just like to collect/shoot guns..

Thanks jhb
    I'm not an expert. just a hobbyist with a lot of questions and determination to get answers.

The Picture in the thread of the USA Glock its a pig/hog nose!! :horse:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. jhb

jhb Member

Interesting discussion, thanks for sharing. Seems it turned more into tenifer or not.

Words of wisdom. Just hung up on tradition on this one. E.g. sigs from europe, great...american made I haven't been impressed, but that's me. Guess it depends on quality of management, quality of labor, materials, and machines more than location.

Fair enough. Appreciate a glock fellow with knowedge pitching in, cause I wasn't doing such a great job.

True. I noticed that right away and kinda chuckled. If I remember correctly it was a beretta 92 fanatic who came up with the term and the s. storm went from there. I did notice pignose wasn't mentioned at all in that thread. Guess everyone has had enough.....as your icon points out so well.