The Dilema

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by madecov, Aug 7, 2005.

1. madecov

madecov Active Member

I have the money for a new handgun
    I'm considering the Glock-19
    and
    Steyr M40A1

Already have the M-40 and like it a lot.

The M40A1 is a sweet looking gun. There is of course a lack of accessories for the Steyr

help me decide, give me your best arguments on each choice.

I can get each at about the same price

2. FWF

FWF New Member

What accessories are you considering?

The rail on the A1 is now a standard design, isn't it? That would seem to take Glock's advantage away on that point.

It's true that Glock's have many parts (triggers, etc.) available to make them more shootable, but I don't think that most Steyrs need all that crap.

I would think the main reason to add an A1 to your present M40 would be to use the rail. If a suitable holster is available for such a rig, an A1 with a mounted light/laser unit could be a good mate for your M40. Now, if such a holster is unavailable, and you want a light/laser compatible gun, the Glock starts to look more desireable. If the rail isn't your incentive, you could also get an M9 (instead of the G19) and save about $100 in the process :wink: .

3. blueiron

blueiron New Member

To what uses are you going to put the new pistol to and why the different calibers?

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

Primary use is as a duty weapon and of course off duty

The A1 has exactly ONE holster available that I am aware of, Bladetech advertises MA1 availability. Safariland duty gear is not available.

I have the M40 and a Walther P99 also 40 and duty holsters for them so I am potentially covered there, hence the Glock as a model 19 9mm.

I own a tac light for the Walther proprietary rail and a light with with universal picatinny rail that can be used with eithr a Glock or a Steyr.

Trigger and ergonomics go to Steyr
    Parts and accessories go to Glock

5. CGuns

CGuns New Member

There are TWO firms that have holsters for the MA1. (A whopping figure!) :wink:.

Look, you answered your own question:

1. Steyr- Ergonomics, design- This is a shooters weapon. It is designed with the shooter in mind. Going back to the basics.

2. Glock- Parts and Accessories- For what? So you can make it look like a decked out M4 carbine with everything but the kitchen sink?

You don't even need night sights on a gun, let alone a flashlight or laser.

A Glock 19 is a gun you buy used as a trade in from CDNN for $350 or so in change.

The Steyr pistols help the shooter, especially with the grip angle and the sergonomics of the weapon in general.

No matter how much you invest in parts and accessories for the Glock, it still will not have the intrinsic, built in creature comforts of the Steyr.

That is the bottom line for me. I like some Glock models more than others. The best, by far, was the G17. All of the others don't have what the G17 has.

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

Whose the second company to make a holster for the MA1?
    Prices?

Like I said I can get the Glock or the MA1 at the same price. It's not about making a Glock look like a M4 carbine, it's about being able to have a weapon serviced. Night sites are really not something that is overrated. I like them, I work evenings so being in the dark is more than just a possibility. I know Steyr will be back in the USA and hope it's with a vengance, I hope they kick Gl*ck's butt in the market.

7. steveinaz

steveinaz New Member

As much as I prefer my Steyr over my Glock 17, I can't see having 2 guns that are nearly identical. Personally, I'd go G19 and keep your M40. Make sure you hit Glock Talk, there's alot of complaints about dust covers craking on the G19 lately, although it looks like there is a pattern of serial numbers affected.

8. srfl

srfl New Member

Madecov: I'm in the market for an IWB for my M and S series guns....in searching on-line, I noticed that http://www.concealco.com is making an IWB for the A1's.....can't help with duty rigs though, sorry.

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

IWB is about the only way I don't carry, :lol: LOL :lol:

I want nice leather or really nice Kydex

10. blueiron

blueiron New Member

If you are a veteran LEO, I'd stick with whatever pistol you carry now. Less training time and money involved. If you are new, then you have just one pistol to learn. That being said, I'd go with the Glock until Steyr gets its infrastructure in place. If something breaks on your pistol, you need a ready supply of parts and a qualified armorer to repair it.

Nightsights are essential on a police pistol. I didn't believe in them in 1988, but that changed as soon as I used them.

Rail mounted flashlights are a safety hazard. Unless you wear a Safariland thigh holster specifically made to contain the weapon and the light together, it is too dangerous to be mounting and/or removing lights from the rail. It puts the hand dangerously close to the muzzle when attaching /removing the light. It tends to focus the officer's attention away from the threat area/s and towards the weapon. It adds another step to the manual of arms when dealing with weapon deployment and is not a gross motor skill. The flashlight also encourages the user to use the pistol as a general purpose flashlight that could discharge and destroy an unintended target. When I was the primary firearms instructor for my agency, I had policy changed to preclude some of the problems listed above. Only officers using the tac holster are authorized to use rail mounted lights.

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

Current duty weapon is a 1911
    been one for a long time, now it's time for a change and to lessen the load so to speak.
    I also want a bit less maintnance intesive weapon.

12. blueiron

blueiron New Member

Then I'd go with the G-19. It does make a good all around service pistol.