The Cougar is gone, apparently.

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Roger Woodbury, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Roger Woodbury

Roger Woodbury New Member

I have written about my Cougar and compared it favorably with my Steyr S40. What has puzzled me is that the Cougar has disappeared from the Stoeger Industries website. So I sent an email off to ask if the gun was discontinued and this morning I received confirmation: Stoeger Industries has ceased production of the Cougar.

I'm going to guess here that Beretta has decided to concentrate ALL pistol production (of this type) on the new PX4 Storm for a variety of reasons and the Cougar at its lower price point was eroding potential sales.

I'd love to SEE one of the new PX4 Concealed Carry versions, but I'm not a buyer. The beauty of my Cougar was that it was for sale new under $300 and its replacement with the Beretta name is out of reasonable reach for me. But I'd love to at least see one someday, if the gunshop up here ever gets one. (I asked last month when I went to the range and they didn't even know what I was talking about.....!).

So, now, I am pondering getting another Cougar just for fun and giggles since they won't be new in the market place under $300 for very long. Nahhh: guess I'm not going that!

R

2. MicPop

MicPop Active Member

You are right, unfortunately they discontinued them a few months ago and didn't do a press release or anything. I found out the same way you did, by inquiring, and posted about it on the Beretta Forum. I watch GunBroker and Armslist pretty frequently and they are already getting scarce but the prices for anything outside of 357 SIG or .45 Cougar, Beretta or Stoeger model, have remained pretty consistent.
    I actually just gifted a PX4 Concealed Carry(he only owns a Stoeger Cougar 8000F) to my brother a few days back as an early X-Mas gift and ordered another for myself to have a little variety between my M9 and C9. We took it to the range and it is a VERY nice pistol-smooth DA trigger(that gets absolutely ridiculous if you take out the stock spring and put in a D Spring), nice cerakote finish, big easy to pick up sights, and well-balanced(pretty much M9-sized with a just shy of full-size grip that doesn't leave most peoples pinkies dangling, that seems great for what it's for: CC)-the only thing I don't like about it is the dual-spring Glocklike takedown but it still breaks down really quick and easy...never thought I would prefer a "plastic" PX4 over an all-metal Cougar but with this one I certainly do:) I'll post some pics of mine when it comes in if you'd like...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017