'The Backup' for your bedside

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Only question is, should I get one just for my side of the bed, or two so the wife can have hers, too?

And should I load my shotgun with double-ought, single-ought, No. 1 or No. 2 buck? Whaddaya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV50T5uEyw :mrgreen:

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Pretty sweet..

I made a rig out of a universal uncle Mikes Holster that slips in between the mattress and box spring.. It hangs pointed down right where my hand is while I sleep :D

Fits my 1911 and M9-A1 :wink:

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If the intended use of your shotgun is people at social distances, there is simply nothing (commonly available) more devistating that #1 buck. The 16 pellets of #1 buck offer 30% more potential wound trauma than the 9 pellets of 00 buck. #1 buck is also the smallest shot that reliably passes the FBI/IWBA minimum requirements for penetration in ballistic gelatin (12-15").

16 pellets - think about that. Those suckers are just under the size of 9mm bullets (.3" if you want to get technical) - imagine dumping a 12+1 (FMJ) magazine from your .357sig, reloading, and then rattling off 3 more rounds - that's about what #1 buck offers with a single pull of the trigger. Can you imagine the wound trauma of getting hit twice? :shock:

If overpenetration is a MAJOR concern, #4 is suitable for defense. About half of the 21 (.24") pellets reliably penetrate the FBI/IWBA minimum. Anything smaller (and all birdshot) are not suitable for defense.

Of course 00 buck is by far the most common load found in home defense shotguns. While there is no doubt it will work, you are handicapping yourself (by 30%, as mentioned before) and the recoil is more stout. There are reduced recoil options, but again - why go out of your way (and pay more) for something that doesn't work as well?

Check out this article over at Firearms Tactical for a full article on the subject.

4. West01

West01 New Member

"on both side of the bead" speaking of Ma and Pa Kettle, Holy Cow! :wink:

Ya baby! now we are talking. That is why most tugs will freeze if you point a "Defender" or a "Trench Gun" at them. They realize that the existence of their appendages are at stake. You couldn't say the same about a plastic gun :lol: :lol:

. Benelli semi-auto are favorite for SWAT team intervention entry....

Thanks for the article Syntax.

:D

West01

5. stdsmc19

stdsmc19 New Member

Now I have both my m9a1 on the bedside in my apt. with some new corbon dpx loaded from the gunshow today. I also have my cheap (cost) New England Firearms 870 tactical copy nearby with some 00 buck I picked up some dpx for my .357 and some wadcutters as well and while perusing the racks I found some aguila minishells never heard of them but my buddy that was with me said they were a blast out of his old mossberg 500 and picked up a pack of 20 now he warned me there may be problems with cycling so i tried to dry cycle them and sure enough they fell out of the bottom and didn't cycle I heard there may be a elevator to grap the shorter shells that I can put in my shotgun and was wondering if anyone had heard of one for an 870 copy.

6. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

I use the Fubar demolition tool as my bedside protector (just kidding). I have my M40 A1 loaded with 12 sinterfire rounds so I don't have to shoot through the apartment complex.

Curiosity : What are your thoughts on sinterfire rounds?

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Long Answer:
    Curiously, there does not appear to be very much information on their loads on their website (or anywhere else for that matter) - this is very concerning. From what I can tell, it is a blended-metal frangible round which closely resembles something like an Aguila IQ or RBCD load. These companies all market their products based on claims of "devastating would channels", but fail to mention that those wound channels are usually in the neighborhood of 1-4" deep. The minimum requirement for defensive ammunition should be 12" (with 12-15" being ideal), as decided by the FBI and International Wound Ballistics Association - this is the benchmark requirement by which all duty and defensive loads are judged. If Sinterfire is purely a powdered metal-blend epoxied together like the Aguila round, the result would be comparable penetration to standard JHPs through walls and solid objects, but shallow (read 50% of our MINIMUM at best) penetration in people. If it is a blended-metal coat over a plastic cup similar to the RBCD round, the result will be somewhat decreased penetration through drywall (still going through the first few walls) and dismal performance in people (read 10-25% of our MINUMUM at best). Whatever the case, your Sinterfire frangible rounds are guaranteed to fail all credible requirements for ammunition suitable for self defense and I highly encourage you to trade up for a quality JHP design. The only thing worse than losing a gunfight would be losing because your firearm or ammunition failed to perform their job.

Short Answer:
    Sinterfire is junk, just like all other frangible loads that claim to be "ideal" for self defense. Stroke your Steyr with a quality JHP (Winchester Ranger, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber) in the 155-180gr. weight class and sleep soundly at night knowing both your firearm AND its component ammunition are suitable to perform the task you rely on them for.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hey SYN, I was gonna look all that up later and draw the same conclusion.... Thanks for saving me the time!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

ummm... HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how long has my signature been around? and you hijack it as an addendum to a frangible rant?

i thought i meant more than that to you.

hahahaha. JK, you can morph my signature into whatever you want. let me begin...

the only thing worse than losing a gunfight is spending valentines day with a hot redhead who "has a headache".

in all seriousness, frangible anything isn't going to as reliable a man stopper as a good solid slug of metal. that being said, if you REALLY like the old lady that lives next to you, you can probably wound an intruder pretty badly with it while HOPING it doesn't fly through walls and get her too.

10. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

Yeah the walls in my place are "paper thin" so I figgured I would play it safe with frangible rounds, I have seen a lot of mixed opinions on the subject.