Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks you!

I have owned my Steyr M9-A1 for several years. It has been a great pistol for me. I love taking it to the range, its fits my hand wonderfully, its lines are great, and shoots well. I have had some issues with the pistol, but as I was primarily just a “range” shooter they did not bother me.

However, about a month ago a friend got me hooked on steel challenges at the local range in Phoenix. I have had a great time, but on my first time out, I had a failure to extract. When I got home I started investigating and found this forum. I immediately began to investigate and address the symptoms my M9 was having. But when I started investigating, it became apparent that the forums were not just about issues with the pistol, this is really a community that furthers the pistol. I did not see a post (about an issue) that did not have a fairly rapid (professional) response. I was truly impressed and started to give my M9 a makeover based upon the tutorials and recommendation in the forum!

I would like to express my thanks:
To the members of the forum, thank you for your passion about the pistol. There is a huge community of M9 owners who are better for it.

BigTaco, for your tutorials and explanations. I have a better understanding of the pistol, and my trigger has a much smoother draw.

Whoever came up with the 1911 extractor spring mod

Jeff at SIA, wonderful customer service, quick turn times!

Amy at Blade-Tech, most helpful with my Holster!

Thank you!

(my apologies if this is not the most appropriate forum for this post)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Awesome post, brozinski.

You are dead on; Steyrs are like that high-maintenance ex-girlfriend you have. You keep going back to her because you still like her so damn much, and it is hard to move on. But everytime you do it, you remember why she pisses you off.

I have gone through 6 Steyrs (all 9mm). My biggest issue was with the FTE's. I've found that if you drop in the 1911 spring and the new extractor, courtesy of SAI, it is aggressive enough to fix the extraction issue. Steyr chambers are much tighter than Glocks, etc.

Now, I only own 2 Steyrs and have traded/sold the rest. I shoot every plastic-fantastic 9mm out there, but Steyr remains to be in my top 2. The recovery time beats almost every plastic 9mm out there.

Right now I'm using G34's; the Steyr still shoots faster.

Did I mention it is freakin accurate from a 4in bbl? Not surprising, since the bbl is a Steyr. I regularly shoot at 100 yds on a reduced USPSA target. It can hit it everytime, even with the large trap sights.

I prefer the M9 to the A1's grip contour/ergonomics. I'm going to switch out the traps on my USPSA Steyr to fibers. They are faster on the steel, as the steel is white and the giant front sight of the traps is white.

Never tried the Blade-tech for Steyrs; I use a BT custom holster from CCC.

I will always come back to my Steyrs; there is something just magical about them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Clickies given.

My rep clicks hit pretty hard. =)

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
You are dead on; Steyrs are like that high-maintenance ex-girlfriend you have. You keep going back to her because you still like her so damn much, and it is hard to move on. But everytime you do it, you remember why she pisses you off.
Does somebody need a hug?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts