Tenifer finish

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by louishob, Sep 12, 2007.

1. louishob

louishob Premium Member

I've gotten a few scratches on my M357 A1. I believe what's happened is the "Parkerized" (or whatever Steyr calls their version) layer has been scratched away and I am seeing the tenifer (or whatever Steyr calls their version) coating underneath. Does anyone know of a quick (i.e. inexpensive) way of fixing this problem ? Of course you have to look pretty hard to find these scratches, but I know they're there, and it's keeping me up nights.
    (Just kidding... barely)

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

Tennifer is a treatment, not a coating. It will make the metal look a bit gray in color.
    It actually goes below the surface layer of the metal.

The park, is a coating for looks.

I would just let it go until it gets really bad, then refinish in any of a number finishes.

3. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I've been wanting to get my slide hardchromed.

4. louishob

louishob Premium Member

How durable is the hard chrome ? I tried a Diamondkote process on my M357 A1 slide when I first bought it and was disappointed at its durability. Extracted cartridges were scratching the ejection port pretty easily. I ended up getting a new slide.

5. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

NP3 would be cool. Hell, any self lubricating coating is ok with me.......and it's got a cool graphite color to it.

6. madecov

madecov Active Member

Hard chrome is probably the most durable of any finish. It can be scratched.

Any and all finishes will wear.

7. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Perhaps the new MANNOX finish on the Mannlicher rifles will find its way onto the Steyr pistols.
    It sounds like an improvement over the Tennifer finish.

On a personal note, a few signs of wear don't bother me at all.
    An unscuffed pickup truck or tool to me just suggests that it is unused and unappreciated for what it does.

8. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

I'd ask Sturmruger
    Check this thread out for Pics.
    https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138&start=0

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I was going to get a Benifer finish on my Llama Max-I but it was discontinued. I am currently considering a Brangelina finish. :D

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

What would that look like????

11. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

if you watch the movie Mr & Mrs Smith it should give you a good idea.

12. madecov

madecov Active Member

I spoke with SAI today.
    Pistols will be done in the new mannox finish. It's supposed to make Tennifer seem like soft putty.

13. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

14. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Brangelina????

I guess your talking about TJ's jeweling.....

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/MMS/

He does some nice gun smithing as well....too bad for us he won't work on our tupperware....real, real nice guy though....I'm gonna have him do the day glo on my sights....

15. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

have you tried using a pencil eraser to remove the scratches?

16. louishob

louishob Premium Member

Can older weapons be sent in to get the new mannox finish ?

17. louishob

louishob Premium Member

Actually, the eraser worked pretty well. I know you can't keep these weapons perfect, but I'm used to wood and stainless steel for my firearms. With wood and stainless steel, you can lightly sand and buff to remove most imperfections because you're working with a homogeneous substance. With these teatments/layers/coatings, about all you can do is send your firearm to a gunsmith to re-treat/re-layer or re-coat.

18. madecov

madecov Active Member

I would doubt it.
    Besides the Mannox is going to be a metal treatment, any and all finishes will wear with use.

19. alex

alex Guest

Since Tennifer is a treatment it is a chemical of some sort. Is there any Tennifer touch-up product out there? I have been thinking about hard chrome plate the silde. But I am not sure if the plating company knows how to disassemble the Steyr slide. I have not have the gut to try disassembling my M40-A1 slide yet.

20. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

No self respecting gunsmith/platting shop is gonna have any trouble at all w/ the dis-assembly of the Steyr M series slide, but a photo copy of the slide break-down can always be included for extra piece of mind. :wink:
    _______
    mugdava