taurus 24/7 da cracked frame

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by sewerman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

we're an armed family ....

all my boys have handguns and were instructed in their use at an earlier age. southern tradition you know.

jake's 24/7 taurus began to experience failure to cock, slide lockup and difficulty with slide removal for cleaning. finally jake brought his gun to the old man so maybe i could determine why the problem.

the left rear side of the frame assembly where two small pins are pressed in is cracked above one of the holes. both pins are loose allowing the pins to slide inward , which creates a no cock situation or slides outward creating a slide lock up and difficult slide removal.

so far i have posted to the other forums e.g. the firing line , xd talk and taurus talk . only one reply from the firing line forum stated that a friend experienced a simular situation.
    this weapon is about eleven months old with 5k rds thru her so guess i can't complain.

the shop where we purchased it stated they would send it back for us if ever warrenty work was needed.

i called taurus, they seemed pleasant though somewhat distant with their manners and were agreeable to sent me the parts though really expressed a desire that the weapon be sent back for a full evaluation.

my shop is moving across town and asked if i could wait a month for them to settle in before leaving the weapon for warrenty return . :(

so i had to give my g-27 ccw to my son until this thing gets settled. :cry:

anyone seen anyother 24/7 da have this sort of defect? :(

thanks

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Its a Taurus...............I wouldn't trust my life to it anyway.............

3. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

24/7 cracked frame

i don't trust my life to this taurus.

it's my son's range gun.

i ccw g-27

or my M-9

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

The only Taurus I half trust is a PT 99.................I've shot thousands of rounds out of that as has my brother with zero problems except the usual extractor spring failures after gobs of rounds......

5. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I'm a Taurus fan...

Taurus has a lifetime warranty they will make it right…

I have a Raging Bull that has seen 1200+ rounds of .44mag (from light to HOT magnum reloads; no specials) and the gun still looks like new, I love that gun :)

My next gun will be a PT 1911 every review I’ve seen have peen positive, no reliability issues what so ever.

6. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

it make take a lifetime of tooth and nail to get it replaced.

wasnt impressed with the pins they used on the frame. Taurus polymer frames have had cracking issues though first I have heard around the pin the previous models had bigger pins and cracking in another spot.

7. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

i finally got in touch with the shop where i bought the 24/7 they stiffed me on the sales promise to return the gun if failure incurred, i'll give no more business to pace outfitters in orlando florida!

i used my daughters UPS account to sent it in at $35.00 overnite, incl insurance. still think i didn't have to go to the expense to ship over nite?
    anyway got a letter of receipt from taurus stating that the repairs would take 3-6 weeks. also in a phone conversation earlier i was told they needed a picture of the damaged/faulty parts. explanation of malfunction to help expedite repairs.
    the mission statement on the letter was they were dedicated to fixing the problem correctly and in a timely manner.
    hope taurus lives up to their promise. :roll: so far their track record *ucks from all the horror stories i've read from other forums.......only time will tell?

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Re: I'm a Taurus fan...

check out latest GunTest mag before you buy the Taurus 1911. It got poor reviews..........

9. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

I think I did see it...do they compare it to Dan Wesson and Springer? if so that was the lamest review ever!

I've must of read over a hundred reviews on a PT1911 by people who own them and everyone says it's the best 1911 deal for the money. 8)

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I don't personally know. I've held one before I read the review and just didn't like the "feel". It felt ...........cheap to me. I didn't feel like the materials. Again, I'm cautious with Taurus and would rather see what the longevity is.

11. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

QC from Taurus has come a long way. When I worked PT at a gun shop, we'd get a lot of returns to the factory on Taurus pistols. The quality has improved a lot over the last couple of years. I purchased a PT1911 and it is an outstanding pistol.

12. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

update on taurus repairs.

taurus kept the 24/7 for 8 weeks.

didn't replace the frame that had egg shaped holes due to the pins working in & out.

looks like a double amputee holding the drill by his teeth drilled out the frame & installed over sized pins, then slammed epoxy all over the place to make things look acceptable.

ok ...so the gun now operates but WTF! i have to aim at three o'clock to print in the bulls eye?

that wasn't an issue before?

for such a large international company taurus' repair department is a LAME DUCK!

jake doesn't trust this weapon anymore so now he has my G-17!

brazil can play soccer but not much on gun repair :roll:

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Taurus..........nough said...............stick with the proven performers..........Glock,Sig,S&W,Steyr( :?:),Beretta................... :!:

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Thanks for reporting back. I have a Taurus wheel gun that I like plenty, but I'd never buy one of their semi autos - especially after your report. 8)

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Too bad, Sewer. That certainly can be a killer to a company's reputation when they do a sloppy job. Doing it right couldn't take that much longer, so it doesn't speak well of their SOP.

16. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

sorry about the double posts :?: :?: :?: