Taurus 1911 reviews???

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by wfrost44, Apr 23, 2007.

1. wfrost44

wfrost44 Guest

Anyone have a Taurus 1911 yet? Do you like it?

I'd also appreciate it if anyone could point me to a good review of these online.

Thanks in advance.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

3. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I am by no means an expert on the 1911s, that being said I own a PT1911. I carry the pistol most of the time in an IWB holster. I am only 5'8", but carrying that 5" pistols isn't a problem for me. The Heinie sights took a little bit to get used to because it's not the standard 3 dot sights. I really like the Heinie sights and I have heard that they are offering night sights for the PT1911. The finish on my pistol was had some wear when I bought it new in December. I didn't mind it because I was going to send it out to be refinished or do it myself.

At the range, I have been impressed with how accurate the PT1911 shoots. I never had a FTE or a FTF with this pistol. The mags that come with the pistol are alright, but I carry the MCM mags. I didn't like the plastic grips, so I changed it in favor of the Hogue rubber grips. I find this pistol to be an overall good value when I bought mine for $449. I have seen a price increase at shops from $510-570 and that is starting to get up to the SA price range.

4. SELFDEFENSE

aubie:
    How many rounds have you put thru it?

5. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

600 rounds so far. I shoot the PT1911 and the XD45 when at the range. Both pistols have been super reliable for me and they will be rewarded with a new finish next weekend.

6. SELFDEFENSE

7. SELFDEFENSE

BTW, why would one be in the market for a .45 and buy anything other than THE Colt .45? :shock: :? :p

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Well, I can tell you why I did! Sitting in the local shop was a Rock Island 1911 Compact for under $300. If you look at the 1911 forums the gun is considered to be a good value and a nice intro 1911. I'm looking at it as a way to familiarize myself with the 1911 so that I will know what I want in a gun when I acquire a fully tricked out piece. I will definitely consider a Colt.

The only opinions regarding the Taurus that I've heard have been negative, but, these are people who spend five grand plus on a 1911 who don't own a Taurus, so I have to consider the source. My experience with Taurus has only been positive (PT-92, PT111 MilPro, The Judge).

Buzz

9. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Some people would ask the same questions about AR15s...it's called personal preference. I'm not impressed with Colt AR15's and I choose to buy AR's made by other companies. Don't get me wrong, I know that Colt makes some great 1911s, but I feel that Colt has relied on it's reputation for too long. When was the last time Colt came out with anything innovative? Please don't say they are perfect, so there is no need for improvements.

If your preference is Colt and you want to buy Colt products...well knock yourself out. Just don't question why the rest of us choose something different. I find this ironic coming from the Steyr Club, considering the Glock people could ask why you choose the Steyr over a Glock. Just some food for thought.

10. SELFDEFENSE

I thought I put enough emoticons after the statemant to make it clear it was a tongue-in-cheek prod (couldn't resist starting the "which .45 is the best" argument). Actually, Colt went into some dismal periods when they had multiple financial crises. Oddly enough, I bought my 1991-A1 during one of those periods in the 1990s. But it has always been flawless (very surprising to me from most any 1911 platform), even when shooting standard .45 ACP with its current 45 Super configuration which includes a 32 lb. Wolff recoil spring. Happy .45ing.

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I bought a Llama Max-I C/F (which is Commander sized) in '96 for $250 - $275. Its finish is not in good shape and it has some deep scratches in its soft metal but it feeds anything except wadcutters and is plenty accurate. I wouldn't carry it, though I used to take it to work as a car/emergency gun when I was an unarmed security guard at a meat packing plant. One night, when the police altered us that an armed fugative had been seen running onto our property I thought about searching the out buildings with it, I know I searched the buildings but I can't remember if I took my .45. If I recall correctly one of the plant managers went with me and I asked him if he preferred that I bring it. That was nine years ago...

Anyway, at least one groundhog was dispatched with the ole Llama. I still have it and it is worth more to me as a plinker than I could get in trade. I actually prefer its rubber Hogue type grips to any 1911 style gun I have ever held.