Tale of 2 pocket pistols

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I finally got around to putting up a new gun article on my own site, a combined report of my good and bad experiences with two Kel-Tec 9mm pocket pistols, the P-11 and the PF-9.

Doc Chronos get all the credit from rescuing me from a seldom-shot pocket pistol, which is what the P-11 would have been, if I hadn't listened to him and dumped it for a PF-9. All's well that ends well. :mrgreen:

See http://www.johnmyers.com/column100.html

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Thanks for the info. Good you wound up with something you like. Will be wringing out my new pocket/backup .380 PPK.

3. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

Netfotoj—

I just read your post on your website. You give me too much credit. Actually, you got me to look at a Kel-Tec in the first place. I was about to buy a NAA .380 ACP to replace my NAA .32 ACP back pocket church gun, when I remembered your remarks about the Kel-Tec P-11. I thought I would just take a peek at the PF-9 in the case next to the NAA, and ended up going home with it. It is a great little gun with plenty of punch for its package.

SelfDefense—

I will be heading up into the mountains tomorrow for three days of camping, scrambling and exploring. I will be carrying my stainless PPK .380 on my left hip (yep, another lefty here). I usually sweat like a pig when I am going “up” and the stainless PPK can take the humidity. I have dumped it in whitewater while canoeing so many times I have lost count. Usually, I just shake out the water, empty the mags, blow and shake everything thoroughly, reholster it, and head on downriver. The PPK has always been 100 percent reliable. Another great gun.

Doc

4. SELFDEFENSE

Will be doing my maiden voyage with the PPK this weekend.

5. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

I do love a PPK.

I carry a Kahr CW9 when it's hot out.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Credit given where credit due. Even with a busted thumb knuckle and a sore left trigger finger after 250 rounds trying to loosen up and break in my P-11, I was going to grin and bear it with that awful trigger pull and accept it was going to be a "shoot a little, carry a lot" pocket pistol.

Then you put up your post about the PF-9 and its trigger borrowed from the P-3AT. Until then, I thought the only difference between the two was double-stack vs. single-stack. I will gladly give up the extra three rounds to get a decent trigger.

I still don't shoot my PF-9 a lot, but when I do, I enjoy it, which I would not have enjoyed with the P-11.

You didn't make a lot of input, but your words of wisdom were all I needed to take a second look at the PF-9.

And as you well know, it's also lighter and thinner than the P-11. When I leave the house in a pair of shorts, the PF-9 is in my front left pocket. The P-11 would fit there, too, but it was a much more noticeable bulge. All the ladies I met thought I was really glad to see 'em! :mrgreen:

7. SELFDEFENSE

PPK passed a 450 round break-in and is now riding with the M9 as a BUG, and sometime large pocket pistol.