Tactical collecting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by madecov, Apr 19, 2006.

1. madecov

madecov Active Member

Aside from Firearms my 2 biggest hobbies are high intensity flashlights and pocket knives

I own around a dozen incandescant lights in the 6v/9v/12v area and around a dozen high intensity luxeon lights.

I love nice knives, the biggest part of my collection is Columbia River. I have over a dozen of them, some duplicates I carry. The others are put up as a collection.

I also have several benchmade knives, Master's of Defense, Microtech, Spyderco, kershaw, and one William Henry knife.

On duty I carry a kershaw Blackout in my pocket and a CRKT Apache in my gear bag. Off duty I carry either my Blackout or if something a bit dressier is needed a CRKT Viele Wasp.

Unfortunatly since I just opened an account with a new supplier I have access to a whole range of knives now so my collection will most likely grow

2. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

I've never really been big on knifes, but I wouldn't mind having a nice Willam Henry knife like you have there as it to me says America. I saw a great history channel special on knifes and some of the more antique ones were demanding some large bids at the auction houses.

3. RangerM9

RangerM9 New Member

Dress knfe

I'm a big CRKT fan as well.....carry a Walker bladelock II daily on the belt, and for dressier occasions, i have a Tighe Tac. Have a wasp as well, but find it a bit thick to carry at times.

seldom will oyu catch me without a knife....

4. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Madecov, If only I had known, I have been an avid collector of custom knives for years and also have a number of high-end factory knives. Centerpiece is a Terzuola ACTF which was the first "tactical" folder design that also incorporated a clip. Bob built mine in 1990 and I have carried it daily since then. Just recently ordered a Benchmade Ruckus which looks very interesting. Great knife website is http://www.knifeart.com/bobterzuola.html

We'll have to get together some time soon and share stories.

5. madecov

madecov Active Member

IDPA, I remember your Terzuola ACTF. I have Cavier taste on a beer budget.
    Very rare for me to be able to purchase a high end knife.

lately I'm looking at low end automatics.

6. boondock

boondock New Member

I'm a knife guy too. I have a REKAT Carnivore Cub which has great action. Also I like Becker knives. I use my BK7 whenever I'm camping. Versatile and utilitarian, good sheath also. I'm also a fan of Kershaw knives and have had 4 or 5. Currently have a neat little Chive and a boot knife. Plus, for going into strange places, a Lil Pecker neck knife which is very sweet. Last but not least, an antique 1850's-60s ladies garter knife which looks like a 3 inch bowie. I know the ladies must have used their garters to hold it in, but I'd prefer to use it to cut the garter off.

7. EmesiS

EmesiS New Member

I am surprised not to see SOG mentioned in the above posts. I presently carry an SOG Pentagon Elite and this is the finest all purpose knife I have ever used. I was a dedicated Spyderco and Benchmade customer, and while I still love those knives, SOG has won my lifetime support. The SOG I carry now features a blade lock system that allows me to open the blade faster than any switchblade I have ever seen; simply depress the lock switch, which opens the blade slightly, and with the slightest motion the blade is locked in full extention and ready for any task. I have had one extreme situation where my ability to quickly ready my blade discouraged the would-be attacker and sent him on an opposite path. I give SOG my seal of approval but I am intrested in hearing everyones input, whether good or bad, and I am always looking for my next favorite knife.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've been considering a SOG and Cold Steel to add to the collection.

Now that I have a whole new distributor I can try several different brands and see what I like.

9. EmesiS

EmesiS New Member

I would really like to hear anyones input on ColdSteel products, I have always been curious about there products but never became a customer. I know they make a wide variety of products, from kitchen knives to Katanas, and I have always stayed away from companies that spread themselves so thin. I have always thought some of their knives were quite 'cool looking' but always had doubt on quality. If anyone can give input on the quality I would love an excuse to buy some more blades.

10. mikey

mikey New Member

I’ve bought a few Cold Steel knives in the past, and (in my opinion) they’re overpriced and overrated. However, other individuals (arguably far better qualified than myself) seem to rave about Cold Steel’s knives, so I guess you’ll need to make your own decision. I just wasn’t that thrilled with Cold Steel, and I don’t plan on buying anything more from them.

Their egotistical advertising hype (“We’re the best - everyone else’s knives are junk!”) also grates on my nerves a bit. And, since many of Cold Steel’s knives are manufactured in China nowadays, you have to wonder about the high prices they’re asking. I could partly justify their high prices when their products were made in Japan, but with Chinese workers making something like 50 cents an hour, Cold Steel’s owners must really be raking in the dough these days.

Cold Steel knives do, however, occasionally appear in other people's closeout catalogs (sometimes going for up to 50% off retail) and at those prices, I guess they’re a decent buy.

11. ScottW

ScottW New Member

Well I just wanted to resurrect this thread to show y'all my new purchase. Picked her up at the gun show this past weekend. Kershaw Blackout 1550. The guy selling them is part of a local knife collectors' club (they usually share the show venue with the gun folks) and he buys a lot of Kershaw's factory blems and sells them cheap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to look closely to find anything resembling a "blemish" on this one, but you can kind of see it in this next pic. There are two tiny nicks in the black finish on the blade, towards the point. The other specs in the pic are only dust.
    [​IMG]
    I love the assisted opening action, and the price was right... $22.

12. madecov

madecov Active Member

I carry the serrated version of that as my "on duty" knife