Survey: Affordable Steyr holsters

Discussion in 'Holsters' started by SELFDEFENSE, Apr 26, 2007.

1. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have seen some favorable comments about affordable (like $50 or less?) holsters for Steyr, and thought it might be good to collate positive experiences in one place for reference.

My candidate is my High Noon Hidden Ally tuckable IWB that I bought as an experiment with the tuckable concept and have found to be quite sevicable in daily use (although it fits my Glock 19 a tad better than my M9).
    Cost $35 + 7 shipping for $42 total, received in 4 days after ordering. Decent leather, but not with a reinforced mouth (although I found a way to get arond the reholster problem)

2. LHD

LHD New Member

I was unable to find an IWB holster for my M357-A1 that I liked, so I made my own. It seems all the leather holsters were too thick. The pistol is thick enough but when you add another 3/8 to 1/2 inch of leather it's just too much. I prefer Kydex holsters because they're thin, lightweight, and don't collapse when you draw your weapon. However, they're not comfy after a couple hours. So I combined the two and made a hybrid, kinda like Crossbreed Holsters, but more compact. Got the design from another Steyr Club member, N24RE. Vacuum formed Kydex on the outside, smooth, soft leather on the inside against your skin. Total thickness: only 3/16 inch. See pics below of one I made for my Glock 23 of same design. Materials cost $14.50, labor....hmmm...about 1.5 to 2 hours....at what cost?

Your High Noon holster doesn't appear to be as thick as other leather holsters. I like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

M357-A1 Bianchi holster and De Santis Speed Scabbard

I took a tip from Shooter and bought a Bianchi Accumold Model 7506 holster for my M357-A1 and am I ever pleased!

As Shooter said, it fits about any medium-size auto, making it extremely versatile. It also fits my Glock 29 10mm and my S&W 669 subcompact 9mm. Is there anything this holster won't do? :mrgreen:

I also picked up a Fobus double-mag pouch with paddle for .40 cal. double-stack mags. Fits a bit tight, but it's loosening up already. Works just fine for my 669 9mm mags and my M357-A1 mags.

Now I'm ready for Freddy. Thanx for the tip, Shooter. Here's the stuff:

[​IMG]

I also recently picked up a De Santis Speed Scabbard holster for my M357-A1 as one of the "specials" offered for Steyr pistols through http://galleryofguns.com
    Great deal to get a $75 holster for $26.69, but then they slapped on $22.45 for shipping and $2.23 in local taxes because they shipped it to a local Gallery of Guns dealer instead of directly to me. But $54.37 is still a good deal, just not as good a deal as I thought I was going to get. And what's with that strange ordering system, making you pick up your holster at the dealer instead of shipping it direct? Go figger that one out.

Here's the holster with my M357-A1 nestled in it. Pretty snug fit but I'm sure with a bit of use, she'll be fine.

P.S. Lefties need not apply for this holster offer. The offer is for right hand only. Lefties have two choices, take it or leave it. Good thing I'm amphibious. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

K&D makes a nice holster. Price is higher than $50.00 but it's hand made custom. Still well below the cost of other custom makes so it's a bargain

Mine has Shark trim and that added around $20.00 or so.

[​IMG]

5. snort

snort Guest

I've been reading the board for a while now, and from varried posts decided to give AKJ concealeco a try. It was $58 then with tax and shipping ended up at $67.50. This is an IWB made very durable and addaptable strong and offside. this baby fit's my 40-A1 like a glove and as an added plus, fits my Isreali Bul .45 well also. From order date to rec't was a little over 2 weeks. (not bad for a basic one man shop) :D

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

What was your source for the Kydex? Did it take a rivet machine for those rivets? I like the holster design.

Thanks

Ben

7. LHD

LHD New Member

I got the Kydex, rivet dies, and rivets at http://www.knifekits.com. The arbor press can be purchased from them as well or any tool supply. If you don't want to vacuum form the Kydex, you can also press it.

If you need any help don't hesitate. I've improved on the design since this picture.

Thanks,

David

8. ryoko

ryoko Guest

They have 3 thicknesses of Kydex, which did you use?

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I used .060 for the mold, and .120 for making J-Clips.

10. LHD

LHD New Member

I use .060 Kydex and 8 to 9 oz leather (about 1/8" thk). I use .090 Kydex my OWB holsters.